New Acer Laptop Core i5 8GB GT740m 1TB SSHD - $470 FS

I was just coming in here to ask from which hole New 740M's had been unearthed.

But since I'm here, I'll say Acer's overall quality has improved from the total crap they built 5 years ago to moderately priced decently built machines. You still more or less get what you pay for, but the low end is much better built than it used to be, and they now have mid-high end machines that are pretty svelte.

I'mm shopping for a family member and was interested until I saw the 1366X768 screen res. At 15" I'm not sure that acceptable anymore. Though with those specs, the 940 will play a crap ton of games really well.

OP, title says 740M.

It's a 940M.

Looks like a good deal and for anyone who doesn't mind turning down graphics a little bit and 1366x768. At this price point, this is not bad at all.

Yea, I got the title wrong while writing it and noticed it after I posted it (Not able to change the title.)

I'mm shopping for a family member and was interested until I saw the 1366X768 screen res. At 15" I'm not sure that acceptable anymore. Though with those specs, the 940 will play a crap ton of games really well.

Yea unfortunately that res is not acceptable IMO. I could consider 1600x900 on a 15" but 1366x768 just does not cut it. Not that it's a reasonable comparison but my phone is 2560x1440 ffs.

The upside to it however is that the 940 might have a chance at some games with that res.

1366x768 no longer needs to exist on a 15" screen.

I personally don't have an issue with 1366x768 and I'm sure there other out there that have the same opinion. This laptop is made for us "cheap people" who care more about price and will accept some corner cutting. If you want an all around nice laptop (with a high resolution screen 900p or above), this is not the laptop for you. If you want a gaming laptop that will play most modern games on low-med (due to the low resolution) for a sub 500 dollar price that has some very decent specifications for the price, and you don't mind the resolution, then this would be the laptop to keep in mind.

For me, I like to put most of my money into my Desktop but have something I can lug around with me (and not have to worry about an expensive laptop getting damaged or stolen but will still play games.)

Last edited:
Well they were used goods, but the Dell Outlet store had 1080p laptops on sale with and i7 quad and 8GB ram and great build quality for about 420 bucks on Memorial weekend. I picked one up.

They're good laptops, but as far as gaming performance at 1080p obviously the Quadro 1000M leaves something to be desired. It can be replaced with a better card for 70 bucks, but I didn't bother. If you just want a cheap throwaround laptop that's built like a tank, that was a pretty good deal.

That 940m is undoubtedly the the better GPU though, hands down. I can't really see myself using that resolution, though. Even my Surface Pro has a 1080p screen....

You guys must have really good eye sight to complain about a 15" screen. Might not be bad for games and watching movies but for usage even 1366x768 is pretty high on such a small screen. I use a 23" external to see at 1600x900 and that is not bad except it is still a strain on the eyes. Wont be obvious for decades.. But the number of kids wearing glasses says its already showing.

I think this laptop will play games rather poorly because a larger resolution stresses the GPU more while a lower resolution such as 1366X768 will stress the CPU more so the GPU on this laptop is wasted.

I wouldn't buy a laptop without 1366x768 resolution. I had an elitebook with 1080p and the scaling was terrible. Everything was too damn small to read.

That was about three years ago, if somehow the scaling has improved I'd give it another shot...

Although...last year, I bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro with a 1080p screen, again...everything on the desktop was WAY too small to use. I guess if you're using the metro interface only, that might be ok...but 1080p on the desktop wasn't cutting it.

Liquid Cool

Scaling is BS. Laptops with 1366x768 resolution should be banned. I have a 12.5" laptop with a 1080p screen and it's glorious. At 15" 1366x768 is a freaking crime.

I think this laptop will play games rather poorly because a larger resolution stresses the GPU more while a lower resolution such as 1366X768 will stress the CPU more so the GPU on this laptop is wasted.
What? A 940m is slow as hell and will be the limitation even at 1366x768 in any halfway modern game. Its a dinky 64 bit gpu with DDR3 and does not even meet minimum requirements in some modern games.

What? A 940m is slow as hell and will be the limitation even at 1366x768 in any halfway modern game. Its a dinky 64 bit gpu with DDR3 and does not even meet minimum requirements in some modern games.

Haters going to hate. Once again, this is a brand new laptop (not refurbished) for under 500 dollars. Just find me a laptop with the same or a better spec's for this price with a 1080p screen and play the games this can play. As for the GPU, a 940M is quite capable. If misterbobby simply googled a couple of youtube videos, he would then realize that a "dinky" 64-bit GPU with DDR3 memory can play GTA 5 (A Modern Game IMHO) @ 1366x768 on high settings @ a little above 30 FPS. Slide the settings down to medium for 40-50 FPS for those sensitive to low FPS (I'm not and can play a game just fine at 30 fps.)

For the links to the videos, see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzF-_XBZ_R8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_MgaINY5k - Specifications of this video match this laptop

Haters going to hate. Once again, this is a brand new laptop (not refurbished) for under 500 dollars. Just find me a laptop with the same or a better spec's for this price with a 1080p screen and play the games this can play. As for the GPU, a 940M is quite capable. If misterbobby simply googled a couple of youtube videos, he would then realize that a "dinky" 64-bit GPU with DDR3 memory can play GTA 5 (A Modern Game IMHO) @ 1366x768 on high settings @ a little above 30 FPS. Slide the settings down to medium for 40-50 FPS for those sensitive to low FPS (I'm not and can play a game just fine at 30 fps.)

For the links to the videos, see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzF-_XBZ_R8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_MgaINY5k - Specifications of this video match this laptop
Grow up and pay attention to what I was actually replying to. He was acting like 1366x768 would be too cpu limited for games but that is simply not true with a gpu like that. AGAIN that gpu would still be the limitation in modern games NOT the cpu.

Grow up and pay attention to what I was actually replying to. He was acting like 1366x768 would be too cpu limited for games but that is simply not true with a gpu like that. AGAIN that gpu would still be the limitation in modern games NOT the cpu.

I'm sorry, I miss read your quote and took it as another hate post. I mean this thread is nothing but complaining, some of it not even justified as it does play games well.

According to the Newegg reviews, the laptop interior is white, not charcoal.

Just received the laptop today and it is indeed white (Posting from it right now.) I'll post some pictures when I get time.

Overall, the laptop feels solid, only time will tell if it stays that way :p

fXVCRsS.jpg

Theres a pic of what it really looks like.

Teardown Available Here:

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/acer-aspire-e5-573g-disassembly/

Last edited:
Basically the same model except 3 exceptions:

1080p
black instead of white
4GB of dedicated VRAM instead of 2GB

Slap a real SSD in this, this could be a major powerhouse laptop for on the go gaming / work..... I like it a lot. Might be a decent time to downgrade my current Sager and swap to something like this.

Damn... I didn't even bother to read the specs, except for the front page on the Newegg link. That's a pretty sweet deal!

It would've been nice if it already came with an SSD or had an upgraded option for it. For many of us, it's not big deal to replace the drive. But a family member halfway across he country wants a new laptop and I told her only get a laptop if it's got an SSD. Of course she has a budget and it's not feasible for me to fly there and swap out the drives.

It would've been nice if it already came with an SSD or had an upgraded option for it. For many of us, it's not big deal to replace the drive. But a family member halfway across he country wants a new laptop and I told her only get a laptop if it's got an SSD. Of course she has a budget and it's not feasible for me to fly there and swap out the drives.

Have it shipped to you, create the restore media, swap in the SSD and put the OEM HDD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure, run the restore, box everything up, and ship it to her. :)

Have it shipped to you, create the restore media, swap in the SSD and put the OEM HDD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure, run the restore, box everything up, and ship it to her. :)
Yeah that's an idea. Or just clone Windows image from the HDD to the SSD instead of doing the restore. I'll ask my sister what she thinks and what her budget is for the SSD.

Yeah that's an idea. Or just clone Windows image from the HDD to the SSD instead of doing the restore. I'll ask my sister what she thinks and what her budget is for the SSD.

I'd still create the restore media before doing anything so you have it on hand in case the unexpected or undesired happens during the clone. Even if all goes well, you'll still have the restore media in case something gets botched down the road...May be the best couple hours you spend; ya never know. :)

I'd still create the restore media before doing anything so you have it on hand in case the unexpected or undesired happens during the clone. Even if all goes well, you'll still have the restore media in case something gets botched down the road...May be the best couple hours you spend; ya never know. :)

I've had a clone not be able to do a full wipe from the recovery partition, so in my case it was a good idea to make recovery media.

True, that's a good "insurance policy". It'd be nice if they included a bootable DVD as the restore media like manufacturers did in the old days, at least with desktops (not sure about laptops).

This hit FP on SD yesterday, so expect it to sell out quickly if it hasn't already.

You guys must have really good eye sight to complain about a 15" screen. Might not be bad for games and watching movies but for usage even 1366x768 is pretty high on such a small screen. I use a 23" external to see at 1600x900 and that is not bad except it is still a strain on the eyes. Wont be obvious for decades.. But the number of kids wearing glasses says its already showing.

Uhh it's always horrible no matter what.

It's not about the PPI, pixel density, quality, whatever. It's just not a lot of screen real estate. A lot of desktop applications do not run well in such a small resolution. A lot of operating system specific settings screens are too large to appear without scrolling.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about eye strain...? I don't think there's any evidence that our population's eyesight is getting worse, but it its better taken care of.

Thank God I snagged one on the ride to work today lol, out of stock happened quick!

Anyone else pick one up?

Back