New Acer 26-inch widescreen monitor

Haven't got any pics, but have received a press release about the Acer AL2616W. 26 inches, 1,920 x 1,200 res. No HDCP at launch, but HDCP to be added later this year. Acer have also launch a 22 inch 1,680 x 1,050 model.

26 inch specs are:
1,920 x 1,200
500 cd/m2
1000:1 contrast
178 h/v
6ms g-to-g

22 inch:
1,680 x ,1050
300cd/m2
700:1
170h 160v
5ms (not defined)

Panel type? Inputs?

I'm not sure what you mean "add HDCP later". You can't add it later. It would have to be added at the factory, which I would think would be a whole new model #.

Still, sounds hot.

theacoustician said:
Panel type? Inputs?

I'm not sure what you mean "add HDCP later". You can't add it later.
Still, sounds hot.

You could, maybe. If it had an open 'bay' where you could slip in a card with an HDMI port on the outside and a bracket to cover the front of the bay.

theacoustician said:
Panel type? Inputs?

I'm not sure what you mean "add HDCP later". You can't add it later. It would have to be added at the factory, which I would think would be a whole new model #.

Still, sounds hot.

It won't be a whole new model. It will be the same model with HDCP. They will add HDCP later. It's pretty simple.

When are these due out? I'm shopping around for a 2nd lcd monitor.

I also wonder if the 24" will have input lag like some of the other larger panels. :rolleyes:

I hope the screen is glossy too. WUXGA 1920 x 1200 would be nice.

As of now I was looking at the acer 20" AL2016W which is supposed to be the same as the viewsonic 2025WM but with a glossy screen. (1680 x 1050)

Problems I've found with alot of other monitors (esp larger ones) after doing some research, are input lag, banding and in some cases ghosting/screen blurring in fast motion/fast perspective panning.

Bigger pixels. Blah. My goal is to not see pixels.

When I had a 24" dell, I found the pixels a bit on the large size. 26" will definitely be. I don't believe in buying a larger monitor just to sit farther away from it.

I prefer something in the 0.25mm pixel size range. I would be more excited to get a decent 23 inch S-IPS.

Snowdog said:
Bigger pixels. Blah. My goal is to not see pixels.

When I had a 24" dell, I found the pixels a bit on the large size. 26" will definitely be. I don't believe in buying a larger monitor just to sit farther away from it.

I prefer something in the 0.25mm pixel size range. I would be more excited to get a decent 23 inch S-IPS.

You notice it at first, then after a couple weeks, you don't. When I first got my Dell 2001fp I saw the 'screen door effect' now, it is invisible to me, and it is the greatest monitor I have ever owned.

i also wonder on what panel they are going to use. If its an IPS panel with .25-.27 pitch im all over it

Ricey said:
i also wonder on what panel they are going to use. If its an IPS panel with .25-.27 pitch im all over it
The NEC 26" will use an IPS panel. This Acer seems it is a AUO or Samsung panel.

yeah the pixel pitch, and the native rez resolution are related aren't they? the bigger the LCD the higher the rez should be or it will look crappy up close. The 1920 x 1200 model would be decent. Of course the downside is game performance suffering the higher the rez.

NulloModo said:
You notice it at first, then after a couple weeks, you don't. When I first got my Dell 2001fp I saw the 'screen door effect' now, it is invisible to me, and it is the greatest monitor I have ever owned.

You are missing the point I was making about pitch I had one similar to yours and I agree that is a decent pitch. But the new 26" will be coarse.

I had a 2007fp same as your 2001fp. That pitch is fine .255 mm
I had a 2405fpw I found the pitch kind of coarse at .27 mm
This new 26" will have .29mm pitch which is very coarse.

26 inch specs are:
1,920 x 1,200
500 cd/m2
1000:1 contrast
178 h/v
6ms g-to-g

So you don't think 1920 x 1200 resolution is high enough for a 26" monitor?

My current (older) 50" TV is 1280 x 720 (720p) , which when using for a pc desktop is kindof crowded vertically, and granted its a bad comparison because I don't sit with it right in front of me on a desk.

I've been considering selling it and upgrading to a 1920 x 1080 (1080p) 50" set. The model I'm looking at is supposed to work great as a pc-to-tv display in addition to home theatre use and console gaming. Its resolution wouldn't be crowded so much as the 720p set (toolbars, web graphics, etc).

I have a viewsonic vx2025wm which is 20.1" and 1680 x 1050 resolution. Its a decent resolution for this size screen. Any less resolution would definitely look crowded though.

I'm keeping my eye out for the 26" Acer. I think it might look good at 1920 x 1200, and have good gaming performance on a single high-end video card instead of requiring the extreme sli rigs people with the 30" dell LCD's usually need. I wonder how that +6" would equate to my 20" viewsonic considering the resolution difference. I mean, would it be near the same per pixel as this screen but just 'more screen' added on? :) +240pixels horizontal and +150 pixels vertical hrmm... time to get out photoshop lol

I was looking at a 30" dell for awhile originally too but decided against it.. decisions decisions. I think I'd rather sell my current tv, buy the new DLP 1080p set I want.. and just wait till the smoke clears before thinking about any expensive (over $300) computer monitor. There are alot of new monitors coming out, with response times and contrast ratios alot better than "older" lcds... and the viewsonic I'm using is pretty good and was a bargain.

Well a bigger size means more clarity in the case of using it as a TV. If you want to lay far back on a couch to watch a movieI guess the extra size can be useful. These should hopefully come packing with HDCP, considering the NEC has an extra DVI port.
I have a 26" LCD TV with 1280x768 resolution and it's so far been good for hooking up a laptop to it as long as your stay at least 2-3 feet away.

Snowdog said:
You are missing the point I was making about pitch I had one similar to yours and I agree that is a decent pitch. But the new 26" will be coarse.

I had a 2007fp same as your 2001fp. That pitch is fine .255 mm
I had a 2405fpw I found the pitch kind of coarse at .27 mm
This new 26" will have .29mm pitch which is very coarse.

It's the same pitch that 15" and 19" LCDs have.

Just got my AL2616W lcd monitor and thought i'd share my impressions with everyone.
First off, colors are very vibrant and crisp and the screen is very bright. (had to tone it down a little) Veiwing angles are acceptable.
Haven't noticed any dead pixals, which is a big plus in my book.
There is the known clitch when using the dvi cable as the monitor only goes up to max resolution of 1680 x 1050. But using the VGA cable will get the monitor up to it's rated
1920x1200 resolution which looks stunning. (so to me the clitch isn't a deal breaker)
I've played "Fear" on it and had a blast.
I really like this monitor and recommend it to those people who wanted to buy the dell 27" model but don't want to spend $1399. as the specs between the acer and the dell are nearly indentcal.
At a price of $759 it's hard to beat. :)

I got mine, no 1900 x1200 with dvi. RMA'ed immediatly as I want to run my 360 thru vga port and comp thru DVI. How can Acer release so many units with a bad DVI port. At my company I would fire someone for Bullshit like this!! Monitor looks great But ACER SUCKS!!!!

They are repairing it and sending it back in 5-7 business days. Its a great monitor, I am just very dissapointed that it didn't work as advertised out of the box. It's obivious they have no real QA process other than making sure it truns on.:mad:

the no hdcp support on this kills it, otherwise it could have been pretty promising

Back