New 91.28 drivers...Improved IQ?

Weazmeister

Limp Gawd
Is it me or is the IQ improved in these new drivers. Started playing Oblivion and I have to say that the game looks better. Might be a placebo effect but that's why I am posting to see what everyone else thinks. Haven't tried it in BF2, Fear, or any other game yet. Will add to this later when I do.

I hadn't tested these new betas yet... i will report back when i do. Notice any performance increase?

I haven't run any benchmarks so I couldn't tell, plus i was preoccupied w/ the IQ "improvement."

Oblivion did look better to me, but I also did turn on 8xAF for the first time in that game. Not sure which one it is. But Oblivion didnt have a blur effect going on, and before today it did. It kinda looked blurry, not much though. Now its gone, Not sure if its the AF or not.

Okay downloading, I'll test them with 3Dmark06 and fire up Oblivion to see if I get any improvements currently I'm just using 84.66.

bf2 is shimmering like crazy for me on max quality in the drivers (8xssaa 16xaf high quality, lod texture clamp = on 1280x1024, max in game settings). reminds me of bf1942 on the 6800 series before the texture clamp. :eek: back to 84.56 for me.

well i switched to the old control panel to make sure i wasnt missing anything in the new control panel under the profile settings, nope wasnt missing anything, switched back to the control panel and ran bf2 again. this time no shimmering insight at all. must have been a glitch. at 8xSSAA 16xAF 1280x1024 i get 50fps constant. at 4xAA with transparency aa set to supersampling and 16xAF 1280x1024 = 80fps+ all the time. :cool:

Im really liking this new control panel. VERY SMALL on the memory usage too! right now i have 870MB of free memory after a fresh reboot. NEVER seen that much free before, used to hover around 820MB. When you have the control panel open it takes about 30MB of RAM, not a resource hog at all. Very responsive and fast, loads in about 1 second for me.

As far as the drivers themselves go I would say these are probably the best drivers I have used so far on my 7900GT. IQ is top notch!

There isn't a single thing in the driver release notes about changes for Oblivion, or changes to types of filtering, so the only thing that can leave is a change of default settings in the drivers, or the game auto-detecting something different.

edit : although there is plenty of changes to PureVideo filtering and enhancements, this doesn't have anything to do with games.

These drivers have caused my mouse pointer in Guild Wars to flash on/off like crazy. It's really annoying and distracting. I've also experienced a consistant 35 to 50 point DROP in 3DMark06. I've ran it multiple times to see if it was a trend, and it is.

banGerprawN said:
There isn't a single thing in the driver release notes about changes for Oblivion, or changes to types of filtering, so the only thing that can leave is a change of default settings in the drivers, or the game auto-detecting something different.

edit : although there is plenty of changes to PureVideo filtering and enhancements, this doesn't have anything to do with games.

With every driver release, on any card, there are always people "seeing" IQ increases. Sometimes you see, what you want to see. My guess is often times its different options selected in the drivers, from what they had before.

fallguy said:
With every driver release, on any card, there are always people "seeing" IQ increases. Sometimes you see, what you want to see. My guess is often times its different options selected in the drivers, from what they had before.

Yea, I don't think the new drivers really improved performance much, but Oblivion is playable with everything maxed out now with my 7900GTs when it was first lauched I had to turn off Self shadows and grass because self shadows didn't work and grass caused a huge performance it.

fallguy said:

Actually, I haven't seen any IQ improvements from nVidia in a long time. The reason I noticed it is because of the fact that I run everything maxed to begin with, so any type of change that changes the IQ is noticable. YMMV but Oblivion is the game I noticed it on, espcially because I play it so much :)

Scream And Fly said:
I see the control panel is at least new - but it's just the look, right? No new features?

Someone said there is a new feature that lets you record the video card temperatures, can anyone verify this?

Yes, you can have it log vid card temps after you leave the panel. Pretty neat option. However, I haven't figured out how to get both of my GPUs temps to record...Anyone else figured that one out yet?

I hope so, because WoW looks like ass compared to other people's computers. All the names are hard to read and the graphics looks plain shitty.

The IQ is very good on these newbies, but I think I took a bit of a performance hit.. I have to test more tonight.. after LOST!!!! heh.. it's gonna be a good one. sorry, OT.

AppaYipYip said:
These drivers have caused my mouse pointer in Guild Wars to flash on/off like crazy. It's really annoying and distracting. I've also experienced a consistant 35 to 50 point DROP in 3DMark06. I've ran it multiple times to see if it was a trend, and it is.

All your FPS are belongs to us :D

Interestingly, my 3DMark06 scores have consistantly gone up 35 to 50 points. You must have loaned them to me :)

HighTest said:
All your FPS are belongs to us :D

Interestingly, my 3DMark06 scores have consistantly gone up 35 to 50 points. You must have loaned them to me :)

HAHA! Thats cool, so long as you don't mind paying my 80% interest rate! :p

LOL - that's got to be some new law of FPS...(like the st law of thermal dynamics).. FPS cannot be created or destoyed, only moved around. ? erm, maybe not so much. ;)

I duno if you guys tryed yet but Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior Works perfect now i have 7800gtx's and i couldent even play at 1280x1024 with no AA and now i can play it at that resolution plus 16AA WOOT WOOT!

AppaYipYip said:
Have you downloaded and installed the new AMD drivers yet?

I had issues alt-tabbing (or hitting windows key) out of CS:S where it would flash my desktop back to game back to desktop rapidly until I alt-tabbed back into game ... updated AMD chip drivers (x2 +4400@ 2.5ghz) and all it right in paradise again .. a little different problem than yours , but yuh never know. :)

Hey guys ive been meaning to ask, whats the best settings in the nvidia control panal for quality? I want my games looks uber nice :D

ThreeDee said:

I had issues alt-tabbing (or hitting windows key) out of CS:S where it would flash my desktop back to game back to desktop rapidly until I alt-tabbed back into game ... updated AMD chip drivers (x2 +4400@ 2.5ghz) and all it right in paradise again .. a little different problem than yours , but yuh never know. :)

New as in newer than a couple months old? and the AMD dual-core XP driver?

ThreeDee said:

Yup. Using the newest AMD Dual Core driver, the newest BIOS and the 90 series Beta's. It must be something with the BETA drivers.

new as in "May 2006"

dual core/xp/xp-64bit

..well that sucks and yes sounds like beta issues with your setup or beta drivers conflicting with something else driver issue ...hmm :confused:

It kinda lowered my IQ. Increased my performance.
Textures looks less grainy then they did but performance is up a tad. Then again I only use this rig for OpenGL games.

AppaYipYip said:
HAHA! Thats cool, so long as you don't mind paying my 80% interest rate! :p

Haha! Yep! At the next Beta release, you'll enjoy a 63 to 90 point increase, and I'll suffer a performance loss.

HighTest said:
Haha! Yep! At the next Beta release, you'll enjoy a 63 to 90 point increase, and I'll suffer a performance loss.

Does it really matter? I think I had something like a 30 point increase in 3Dmark, it was very close to when I was the other drivers, but I have noticed the Oblivion mouse lag go away.

I just upgraded to the new drivers. 3dMark score jumped from 3326 to 3561. Bout to play some games to see how IQ is.
Edit: Played a bunch of source. IQ seems to be slightly worse.. at least tree branches look a little more jagged, but there I'm also getting a lot less shimmering, so I'm happy.

sculelos said:
Does it really matter? I think I had something like a 30 point increase in 3Dmark, it was very close to when I was the other drivers, but I have noticed the Oblivion mouse lag go away.

Just explaining how his loan of FPS to me was going to be repaid the 80%. :D

These drivesr rock!!!!!!!!! I only play WoW and I was able to max my AA/AF at 1280x1024 and STILL get higher FPS than with the older drivers i was using! WOOT!!! I'm also using Best Quality mode. FPS never gets below 30fps, even in MC and crowded Orgrimmar :D

I installed them the other night and ran 3DMark05. The space battle and the blimpship/monster tests had a lot less shimmering. No doubt about it.

Weazmeister said:
Is it me or is the IQ improved in these new drivers. Started playing Oblivion and I have to say that the game looks better. Might be a placebo effect but that's why I am posting to see what everyone else thinks. Haven't tried it in BF2, Fear, or any other game yet. Will add to this later when I do.

I noticed the same thing as well. And Oblivion hasn't frozen once since I installed the 91.28 drivers.

I dropped these drivers because of 2 points:

1. C&C Generals had really bad graphics corruption for me.

2. TV-out was borked....zoomed way to much in....fullscreen looked like shite...

So I am back to the 84.43's...

Terra - This was on a Gainward 7800GS Bliss...

Back