New 8th Gen Chips from Intel

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
When Coffee Lake-S pushed out last year, there were more than few holes in the SKU lineup, and Intel is looking to fix that. Finally non-enthusiasts will get a taste of what it is like to crawl forward in IPC like the rest of us. Thanks cageymaru.

Pretty charts.

Today, Intel is rounding out the rest of the Coffee Lake desktop lineup with the addition of more traditional desktop SKUs, as well as low-power "T-series" CPUs.

Filling out the i5-lineup, we have two more 6 core options without hyper-threaded in the i5-8600 and i5-8400. The Core i3-8300 provides a 100MHz boost to the existing quad-core i3-8100, while staying in the same 65W TDP.

The little-known T-Series are Intel's lower frequency desktop chips that are configured to run at just 35W while remaining desktop-level performance. Traditionally, these CPUs are used in OEM configurations, but enthusiasts looking for ultra-small form factor and quiet PCs have been known to use these CPUs in the past.

still susceptible to meltdown and spectre i assume?

According to Gizmodo they're still susceptible

Today Intel announced a few new series of CPUs intended for laptops. All these CPUs are based on the Coffee Lake microarchitecture that was first introduced back in October 2017—this also means that there is no hardware solution for Meltdown and Spectre in these CPUs and they will come with a software patch installed. While they’re all based on Coffee Lake, all intended for mobile (laptop) devices, and all purportedly very fast, they can further be split up into three types—business, performance, and low power.

More arrogant shit from Intel. How the hell can they get away with bringing “new” products containing the flaws they are so infamous for?

But really, you have to lie the blame at our feet. We are still going out and buying Intel's shit, so they continue making money hand over fist, and therefore the will not learn from their mistakes.

Wow. A whole 100mhz improvement for the i3? Now people can choose between slow and a little bit less slow? What is the difference between 8600 and 8400? One is okay, the other one is a bit more okay? Their product stack is weird, ryzen made a bit more sense - bigger gaps between products (maybe the 1800x was pointless).

Did i3s have 4 true cores in any previous generation? Looks like a good improvement to me.

Back