NEW 8800gts 512mb @1xPCIE!!?

Spaxspore

Gawd
Ok, so i sold my 8800gt, ran great no problems. So last night i put in the new card (evga 8800gts 512mb). Fired it up installed the latest drivers. And started up Cod4, 1920x1200 res- 20fps max gaphics. So am like hmm this is odd i was getting 50ffps on the 8800gt. So i tired good ol mtw2. Only was getting 17fps in the campaign map. Wow, i couldn't believe this. So i tried 3dmark 06, only getting 40fps in the begging of game 1, i was getting 99fps on the 8800gt... So i grabbed GPU-Z and got this -

gpu.jpg

1x!

WTF

I dont have anything overclocked, nothings has changed except the GPU and drivers...

Can some one help me out.

Vista32bit, Specs below all correct minus the 8800gt part, also running a 800watt psu.

What does CPU-Z or Everest say? I wonder if GPUZ isn't reading the slot correctly

first slot closest to the cpu, this board has 2xpciE16x slots both running at full 16x (x38 chipset)

look into bios and make sure it's running at the rated speed or check mobo manual for any jumpers that have to be adjusted

ok ill try that (am at work ATM), but what i dont understand, nothing has changed, all i did was take the 8800gt out and put the gts in its place. And of course installed the latest drivers.

While tweaking around my BIOS after updating it, I found a setting that affected "stability" for PCIE when overclocking.

It was called PCIE Spread spectrum and I haphazardly tested it to see what it did. It dropped my PCI-E slot to 1x. Check to see that you don't have anything like that turned on or disabled.

I'd also do a driver clean or driver sweeper of your drivers and install a new set of drivers just in case.

ok ill try that (am at work ATM), but what i dont understand, nothing has changed, all i did was take the 8800gt out and put the gts in its place. And of course installed the latest drivers.

The difference is that you have a card that is PCIe 2.0.. since you said it was an X38 board then it should have no problem detecting it.

You may have to reset the chmos in order to take the changes.

hmm 8800gt is 2.0 as is the 8800gts 512

BTW ive run driver cleaner pro and tried 2 different sets of drivers.

hmm 8800gt is 2.0 as is the 8800gts 512

BTW ive run driver cleaner pro and tried 2 different sets of drivers.

can you post your detailed computer specs (include mobo model #?) also version of vista that you have (your sig is vague)

Intel Core Duo 2 e6850
Gigabyte x38-DQ6
4gig in Dual channel, Giel 800mhz
8800gts 512mb EVGA
800watt XION psu
Hans-g 28in LCD monitor
SB xfi fatality
vista32bit all latest updates installed

you should try selling your 8800gts and buy a 8800GT that will proably work out best for you.

Are you overclocking? When I was overclocking on my P5B Deluxe board last year I found that with too much NB voltage my PCI-E would drop to x1 and performance was terrible.

Go into your bios and load optimized defaults. If you have exhausted all other options call Gigabyte and possibly being thinking about an RMA.

no am not over clocking, i put the card in some other systems one was a 975chipset asus and another was a nforce 4 amd mobo. Both would not display video, even though the system posted -ie went into windows heard windows go in and so forth. Put it in another stock gigabtyte x38 i had in my server computer, posted w/ video went into windows put drivers on and gpu-z ... 1x also.

Posted on evga forum, the only person who responded told me to RMA it...

And 8800gts is as fast or faster the GTX, and i was about out on my stepup (i want the new 9xxx series in feb) so thats why i sold it.

I stil have the 8800gt, the guy is picking up today, put it back in am getting full 16x, and i put in a ati x800xtx i have and its full 16x. So am thinking its a card.

Back