New 780g board: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H

I ran across it the other day as well but couldnt find much info on it. Itll probably be launching shortly. Hopefully more boards with side port memory are on the way. A new Jetway poped up on newegg last week with 128MB on board.

Looks like only difference is 128Mb of side port memory. So, my question is...what the heck is side port memory???? :)

Looks like only difference is 128Mb of side port memory. So, my question is...what the heck is side port memory???? :)

It's memory for the IGP. Instead of using shared memory the IGP has it's own.

128MB is not very much for a GP, is it? Any dedicated card worth buying has 512MB. Or does it use 128MB, plus still leech off a bit of your RAM? (or am I totally messed up on this?)

:)

128MB is not very much for a GP, is it? Any dedicated card worth buying has 512MB. Or does it use 128MB, plus still leech off a bit of your RAM? (or am I totally messed up on this?)

:)
128 is enough, you dont hand over 512 to the IGP to you?

I actually never use IGP's, I just really like this board because I think I'm going to build an HTPC (that has some gaming capability), and I wanted a small, powerful MB with PCIe2, and this board just happenned to have an IGP with some nuts. Eventually as games require more, I'll probably add in a bigger dedicated card (I currently only play stuff like TF2, but Far Cry 2 may force me to buy something new...)

What is the big difference in this board from this board:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090

I was thinking getting that one at newegg, but should I wait?

I see 128MB DDR3 Sideport memory, beefier 5 phase CPU power supply (up from 4) to support 125W(140W?) CPUs which the GA-MA78GM-S2H can't handle, and an improved NB HS. Pretty much what everyone has been asking for.

Would be worth waiting for if it's out soon. Otherwise may as well get a 790GX board instead.

yah but the 790gx boards are not out either....

i hate getting teased. i am looking to purchase about to pull the trigger - then they announce all this new hardware. what happens? i pull the brakes and start to google....

The biggest problem I have is that there is an HDMI, DVI, and VGA on the board, but you can only use one of the digital outputs at a time....or did this change as well?

Or does anyone know of a comperable board that this work on?

Back