New 5850 - strange bfbc2 issue

ematsui

Weaksauce
I just installed my new PowerColor 5850 pcs+ with the 10.4s

I uninstalled my nvidia drivers, rebooted into safemode used driver sweeper.. uninstalled the 8800gtx, etc...that all went fine.. mw2 runs fine, 3dmark2006 is fine

but in bfbc2 the game runs smooth as butter all max, hbao on.. 1680x1050

the only problem im having are these intermittent major pauses, its not like fps slow down its like the game will actually freeze for about 2 seconds and i get a short slide show, then it will speed up to normal playing levels again.

This only happens about once a round. And it is very random, it can be when im turning a corner or just walking.. there doesnt need to be any major action on the screen for this to happen...

am i alone in this one?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your video card again. Could be something to do with the hard drive, the next time it does it try to listen to your hard drive and see if it makes any noises.

I forgot where I read it but supposedly there's a possibility that when using multiple oc'ing tools(afterburner, ati tools, etc.) simultaneously the game stutters. I wish I could remember where I read it so I could link it here.

I have a 5870 and I think I've run into what you are describing. I thought the game froze and expected it to crash then all of a sudden it's running like butter again. This has only happened about 3 times in like 20+hours of gameplay though. No idea what might cause it as it was so infrequent I couldn't be bothered. I don't overclock my card or have any OC utilities at all if that helps.

I get that with my 5770s. It is as if the game pauses, the fps drops to 2 then 33 then back up to 70-100.

Its weird. I have reinstalled windows and my performance seem to be better. I think this is a driver issue or something, Try putting your fan speed to 60-70 percent. I think once i did, my card stays below 70C

I wonder if this is only on ATI cards or if it happens on Nvidia also? I have a Nvidia card and I don't have this problem, but every once and awhile my screen will go black for just a second or two. I wonder if this is driver or game related?

I wonder if this is only on ATI cards or if it happens on Nvidia also? I have a Nvidia card and I don't have this problem, but every once and awhile my screen will go black for just a second or two. I wonder if this is driver or game related?

Never run into this issue. I would suspect the game is the main culprit as I've read so many oddball problems with BFBC2 on both platforms that it seems to be the common factor.

well i think it may be driver related, i didnt have this problem before. It just randomly appeared. But now that its a fresh install with a fresh install of drivers.

Back