New 5800X Running Hot

Link

Gawd
I've reseated the cooler several times, tried different thermal pastes, and finally the different coolers (X63 and D15).
My new 5800X hits 90C toward the end of Cinebench multicore run.

After searching the reddit and AMD support forum, I'm not the only one having this high temperature issue.

I did notice the core voltage going as high as 1.485. It seems like this is another case of too much voltage.

I have Aorus B550 Master with 4 x 8mb running at 3600mhz- 16-16-16.

I've reseated the cooler several times, tried different thermal pastes, and finally the different coolers (X63 and D15).
My new 5800X hits 90C toward the end of Cinebench multicore run.

After searching the reddit and AMD support forum, I'm not the only one having this high temperature issue.

I did notice the core voltage going as high as 1.485. It seems like this is another case of too much voltage.

I have Aorus B550 Master with 4 x 8mb running at 3600mhz- 16-16-16.

The 5800x has only 8 cores to spread its 105w tdp or 140w real world power draw. Do the math vs 12 or 16 cores. You'll see the 5800x running higher all core frequencies. This is why one would chose a 5800x you know? And the voltage runs whatever it runs, saying it using too much...

I have a 5800X,check post above this one.
Cinbench20
Single -653 clock speed 5050Mhz
Multi- 6100+ Clock speed drops 4625Mhz-4650Mhz Temperature 75°C CPU fan ramp up to 75%

You can have lower temperatures on the 5800X

40 minute
AMD 5800X 5000Mhz RTX 3080 4K HDR 60 FPS Assassin's Creed Valhalla CPU temperatures 40°C-50°C normal PC gaming temperatures cheap 240AIO

I have a 5800X,check post above this one.
Cinbench20
Single -653 clock speed 5050Mhz
Multi- 6100+ Clock speed drops 4625Mhz-4650Mhz Temperature 75°C CPU fan ramp up to 75%

You can have lower temperatures on the 5800X

40 minute
AMD 5800X 5000Mhz RTX 3080 4K HDR 60 FPS Assassin's Creed Valhalla CPU temperatures 40°C-50°C normal PC gaming temperatures cheap 240AIO

What motherboard do you have?

Well default CPU voltage is 1.5v .Do you mean with PBO on ,if so CPU voltage is 1.55v.

Anyway you should be able to do all core overclock at CPU voltage 1.325v no problem on the CPU @ 4600Mhz

Seems normal for cinebench, my 3900X hit 85C before I undervolted and got a case with more airflow. Even now it still hits 75c.

I'm not sure how it works with the 5000 series, but give yours a -.1v undervolt and see how the temps and scores look.

My 5800x never seemed to go above 75C or so at load.
There are several people reporting the temperature issue on reddit and amd forum.
This happens only when running benchmarks such as Cinebench. Another odd behavior is that my 5800X doesn't throttle down even though it reaches 90C. The Ryzen Master shows 90C being the max temperature.
The Vcore also looks fine during the Cinebench, fluctuates around 1.365v

Temperatures limit clock speed, threshold is 95C for ryzen to throttle ,even at 0C it limits clocks

There are several people reporting the temperature issue on reddit and amd forum.
This happens only when running benchmarks such as Cinebench. Another odd behavior is that my 5800X doesn't throttle down even though it reaches 90C. The Ryzen Master shows 90C being the max temperature.
The Vcore also looks fine during the Cinebench, fluctuates around 1.365v
Those temps at 1.365v do seem a bit much, mine wasn't getting near them unless it was at 1.5v

probably waiting for a BIOS update. I don't have a 5 series but my 3900X ran hot and voltage was high, did a bios update and noticed lower voltage and temps, same performance.

I am running the latest Beta BIOS from Asus, the AGESA patch C or whatever. Maybe that is why I'm not seeing issues?

I am running the latest Beta BIOS from Asus, the AGESA patch C or whatever. Maybe that is why I'm not seeing issues?
The problem is pretty widespread. One person even collected data from eighty (80) 5800X owners. 20% reported 90C+ full load temperature. Considering 5800X is not as popular as other models, 20% is a lot.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jrccrt/5800x_temps_whats_going_on/?sort=controversial

Also, according to AMD, the expected full-load temperature is 80C with 240mm+ AIO.

vgRsY4p.png

This post is the most interesting one.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-summary/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-review,19.html

I'm not saying it's not happening to others, I am just wondering why I'm not seeing the same results.

I'm not saying it's not happening to others, I am just wondering why I'm not seeing the same results.
Simple. You got the "correct" 5800X. Others and I got the dud. ;)
Did you happen to do the clean windows reinstall when you got 5800X?

Simple. You got the "correct" 5800X. Others and I got the dud. ;)
Did you happen to do the clean windows reinstall when you got 5800X?
Yeah, it was a completely fresh build. I installed 1909 and then upgraded to 20H2 shortly after.

That sucks man, I wish people weren't having issues like that. Guess I got lucky.

Haven't tried burning my 5800x yet, but I have Cinebench R23 on the download just to have a look.

I'm idling at 39-44C, Modern Warfare brings it up to 74ish C. Just waiting on the HD Texture Pack to download from Battle.net and I'll be trying out 4k Ultra on Black Ops Cold War. If I'd known there was an additional 45GB download I would have started it when I got home from work last night..

Honestly haven't paid much attention to the temps yet, everything seems to be running fine and my system isn't any louder than I would expect it to be. Pretty quiet, actually. Fractal S24 AIO set to auto.

edit: once the heat starts it's tough to stop in my hot box of a case, as well. Fractal Design Define R6 - space heater, really.

Last edited:
Below is from Reddit post.

AMD_Robert Technical Marketing2 points·1 day ago

"Temps up to 90C are expected. We use the extra thermal headroom to push performance higher."

Hitting 70C in Cold War. GPU @ 74C. Enjoying the campaign for sure, graphics are pretty good... some shadow weirdness here and there. Maxed out @ 4k, RT and DLSS running, locked at 60Hz. My monitor is definitely the weak point in my setup.

Hit 90C after 4 minutes in Cinebench R23 Multicore. 14806 as a score, ~4400Mhz @ 1.35V.

Hitting 70C in Cold War. GPU @ 74C. Enjoying the campaign for sure, graphics are pretty good... some shadow weirdness here and there. Maxed out @ 4k, RT and DLSS running, locked at 60Hz. My monitor is definitely the weak point in my setup.

Hit 90C after 4 minutes in Cinebench R23 Multicore. 14806 as a score, ~4400Mhz @ 1.35V.
Yup, similar results.
According to AMD_Robert at reddit, when the core temperature reaches Tjmax of 90C, the processor will no longer apply additional boost and hold its current boost frequency until circumstances change. This is reassessed every 1 millisecond.
Basically, you and I didn't win the silicon lottery.

I played the CW beta. I didn't like it. I've been playing COD:MW. CW felt very different. Also, my 1080ti couldn't handle 1440p. I need a 3080.

My Fractal S24 AIO set to auto (I like quiet) isn’t helping me on the Cinebench test.

Thankfully, I don’t play Cinebench.

The fact I can now fly over NYC at 45+ FPS at 4K in MSFS is enough to convince me the 5800x is a great part.

Hi there,

So my 5800X on Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus with Noctua NH-D15s, Fractal Define C (2 intake, 1 outtake)
In Cinebench 20 it gets to ~80C and stays there, give or take 2C depending on how fast I allow fans to run.
Real life is much lower ~65C +/- 5 depends on task.

I must say I'm pretty happy with it. Looks spectacular too! :D
1605516791998.png

Last edited:
My Fractal S24 AIO set to auto (I like quiet) isn’t helping me on the Cinebench test.

Thankfully, I don’t play Cinebench.

The fact I can now fly over NYC at 45+ FPS at 4K in MSFS is enough to convince me the 5800x is a great part.
Missing out on the update. Introducing new bench mobs that can't be DPS down unless you have inventory full of greens.

certainly seems warm, z73 Kraken and my 5950x seems to peak at 79c in Cinebench

I just dropped a 5800x in last night. With it running at 1900 fabric I ran some cinebench as typical but I remembered this thread so I noted the temps. In R20 max temp was 68c and R23 max temp was 74c. These are die temps, package temps would a bit lower. This thing runs about as cool as I'd expect. Also note how R23 makes the cpu run hotter since it's looping for 10 mins or so.

Reactions: Link
like this
I just dropped a 5800x in last night. With it running at 1900 fabric I ran some cinebench as typical but I remembered this thread so I noted the temps. In R20 max temp was 68c and R23 max temp was 74c. These are die temps, package temps would a bit lower. This thing runs about as cool as I'd expect. Also note how R23 makes the cpu run hotter since it's looping for 10 mins or so.
If your scores falls into what everyone else is getting (they are not lower because of lets say CPU running in ECO mode) then you have great cooling solution or great sample ;) many people hit thermal limits during run R20 run.

If your scores falls into what everyone else is getting (they are not lower because of lets say CPU running in ECO mode) then you have great cooling solution or great sample ;) many people hit thermal limits during run R20 run.

I have good cooling no doubt but on the other hand most others probably have bad cooling or think they're aio coolers are lot better than they actually are.

After emailing back and forth several times with a couple of AMD tech, they finally asked me to send them photos of my 5800X installed in my system, my sales receipt and, the box in order to approved the RMA.

the maximum temp on my CPU is around 80c with a few Cinebench multi-cores runs.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5800X + Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3
MB: MSI X570 TOMAHAWK
Memory: G.Skill Flare X, 4x8G F4-3200C14D-16GFX
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 80+ Gold

Running R23, my 5800X peaks in the 77-81C range with my EVGA 280 AIO (depending on how stuffy my office gets). My 3900X ran a fair amount cooler with the same setup. I have not tried to remount yet, but I imagine it will not get much better. It is interesting seeing how the when R23 starts up at around 70C, all the cores are running 4.65Ghz and once it crosses 80C they are reduced to the 4.55hz range.

Last edited:
Back