New 5 min HD gameplay video showing the Authority in RAGE

Ok dude cause you're john carmack right? :rolleyes: I'm only repeating what I've read and what I can discern. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll see Sept 13 and I'll bump this thread.

Yes it's a clever way to stream but it's not stream low res textures, it's to stream high res textures.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26989538

Last edited:
Ok dude cause you're john carmack right? :rolleyes: I'm only repeating what I've read and what I can discern. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll see Sept 13 and I'll bump this thread.

Yes it's a clever way to stream but it's not stream low res textures, it's to stream high res textures.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26989538

It will be VERY interesting to see if they release the larger textures for the PC game. 2 TB drives on sale go for 75.00 on newegg these days. I have 2 Samsungs 2TB :) I'll keep my eye on this game. I always liked ID games Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Quake, Q3 etc.

That was console gameplay for sure. Look at the way the cursor moves, it stays perfectly level sometimes when the aim thumbstick is not being used. Not going to jump to conclusions until I see some pc gameplay. I still think it looks just like borderlands though.

First thing I thought as well based on movement of the aiming reticule was that this was console footage.

That was console gameplay for sure. Look at the way the cursor moves, it stays perfectly level sometimes when the aim thumbstick is not being used. Not going to jump to conclusions until I see some pc gameplay. I still think it looks just like borderlands though.
have you even read through this thread? its probably pc footage using the controller but still using the mouse/keyboard prompts. it would make no sense to have those pc prompts on the console version at all.

have you even read through this thread? its probably pc footage using the controller but still using the mouse/keyboard prompts. it would make no sense to have those pc prompts on the console version at all.

Ah you are right, didnt notice the keyboard prompts.

Oh damn, I have to play Borderlands again? Please tell me the drops won't be as ridiculous.

Nope. Not sure why you care though.

Using a controller on a pc does not give me any confidence either.

Why? as long as it's done right, I'm all for it. It makes sense, at least for the driving portions of the game.

Carmack has said in the past that Rage was designed to be played with a controller from the start (even on the PC)

Why? as long as it's done right, I'm all for it. It makes sense, at least for the driving portions of the game.

Carmack has said in the past that Rage was designed to be played with a controller from the start (even on the PC)

Because it's a FPS and on the pc. When I'm on the pc I want a keyboard and mouse. I also had no issues driving in borderlands using the mouse and keyboard.

I'm so glad they made everything you can pick up slowly flash so that I can discern it from the rest of the objects in the game. So annoying. If a game has any immersion at all, glowing ammo etc completely nullifies it.

Because it's a FPS and on the pc. When I'm on the pc I want a keyboard and mouse. I also had no issues driving in borderlands using the mouse and keyboard.

If you don't want to use a gamepad then don't. It's not like John Carmack is going to come to your house and choke you with a gamepad wire if you use KB&M.

Since when did having more options become something to bitch about?

So play it with a keyboard and mouse. What's the problem?
I'm thinking the same thing.

If you don't want to use a gamepad then don't. It's not like John Carmack is going to come to your house and choke you with a gamepad wire if you use KB&M.

Since when did having more options become something to bitch about?

Your definition of "bitching" is flawed. I replied to a person asking "why?" and merely answered his/her question. As for the early footage of a game using a console controller on a pc, it does not give me confidence and it should be pretty clear why.

Nope. Not sure why you care though.

I care because its pretty clear its the pc version and they were simply using a controller. the video could have been recorded while they were in a place where it was easier to use the controller than the mouse and keyboard. I certainly would like to see them using a keyboard and mouse too though.

I hope that was the easy noob mode that they were playing on because that was just bad.
Is this using a regenerating health system?...lol w/e.
I'm also curious as to where exactly the characteris pulling all these turrets, spider bots, and rc trucks from? Maybe I don't want to know. :eek:

I hope that was the easy noob mode that they were playing on because that was just bad.
Is this using a regenerating health system?...lol w/e.
I'm also curious as to where exactly the characteris pulling all these turrets, spider bots, and rc trucks from? Maybe I don't want to know. :eek:

A lot of times demos like this are done on easy or with cheats, or with creative cuts to cut out any deaths, or with people who just know the level so well, or with well you get the idea. You can't really gauge difficulty from videos like this, heck for all we know that could be end game or early game both places where a game can be really easy.

Sadly I think so...

Same place most video game characters pull things from and Optimus Prime's trailer disappears to when he transforms.

It may play like shit on mouse and keyboard just like dead space

Dead Space's slow movement was a design decision to try and heighten the tension. It moves slow like that on consoles as well. Vsync was also fucked up in the game, turning it off fixed a lot of problems.

It may play like shit on mouse and keyboard just like dead space

Both games played fine for me on KBM after I turned off v-sync and tweaked my DPI just right.

I would have preferred these games either with a more traditional third person view (think Hitman) or ideally first person but it works alright.

Would be nice if id was relevant once again. Doom 3 and Quake 4 were just OK throwaway titles.

Dead Space's slow movement was a design decision to try and heighten the tension. It moves slow like that on consoles as well. Vsync was also fucked up in the game, turning it off fixed a lot of problems.

The slow movement was, but the mouse acceleration wasn't. Bioshock suffered from the same issue (besides being laughably easy with kb/m.) It's just depressing that it looks like iD has sunk to console first, PC second, as well. Valve is kind of the last hope, although Portal 2 got dumbed down a bit too.

Bioshock would really be a more relevant example, both because of the mouse accel problems but also because the gameplay was purely a console driven design, which made it way too easy on a PC.

Back