New 4k friendly gpu upgrade recommdation for my Htpc?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
So finally after years of wanting one I pulled the trigger to upgrade my optoma hd25e 1080p pj to JVC rs420 (4k faux) with 4k 60p (4:4:4) 18Gbps hdmi/hdcp support. I should be getting it next week.

Problem is my current Htpc setup is 1080p (hdmi 1.4 support only) driven. However I would like to try 4k since my new 4k faux pj can do it.

My current setup is:

-Marantz 7.1 1080p avr (1.4 hdmi)
-htpc 4520g (Skylake) using igpu hd530 and it's 1.4 hdmi out, 8gb ram, win10

For now since I don't have money to upgrade my avr I will go back to spdif. By doing it I will lose 7.1 audio :-(. I could try as someone suggested to try to use dp to hdmi adapter to get 7.1 audio, however 2nd dp/hdmi I need to be hooked up to my TV in the same room. I'm running clone display.

Would gt1030 2gb ddr5 be enough for decoding any 4k 60hz (4:4:4) content? Including decoding 4k plex server (my main rig)?

I know I will be missing out on netfix 4k or possibly more streaming 4k services. Or should I suck it up and buy gtx1050 with 4gb or rx560 to be more future proof?

Thanks in advance.

I keep hearing people say the Nvidia Shield is the best choice.

I have an Apple TV 4K with Plex and have had no success playing back 4k HEVC content on it.
Plex App on my Gaming machine with 1080ti and 4790k stutters playing from my Plex server. Plays fine with MPC-HC over the network.

I need dual hdmi output to drive my 1080p TV and 1080p/4k projector. Also nvidia shield AFAIK doesn't have spdif out nor dual hdmi (video+audio) outputs. This would force me to buy new avr. There are still "some" benefits from running Htpc.

Plex server. Here we go.
Thanks. . But with my current igpu hd520 and hdmi 1.4 output. I'm limited to 4k@30...

I think I need new gpu... I don't care much about Netflix 4k.. I'm leaning toward buying the cheapest gt1030 ddr5 card. I'm not planning on upgrading my 1.4 avr. This I think should be enough to enjoy jvc 4k-ish with its e-shift...

Too bad I missed out on gt1030 Evg b-stock :-(

Thanks. . But with my current igpu hd520 and hdmi 1.4 output. I'm limited to 4k@30...

I think I need new gpu... I don't care much about Netflix 4k.. I'm leaning toward buying the cheapest gt1030 ddr5 card. I'm not planning on upgrading my 1.4 avr. This I think should be enough to enjoy jvc 4k-ish with its e-shift...

Too bad I missed out on gt1030 Evg b-stock :-(

Just look around on the internet, if you are wanting to rip/download uhd discs, they don't work with plex because it tries to transcode. Just read them off a file share.

Isn't a shield almost the same price as a new GPU.. you'll be much happier with one.

Just look around on the internet, if you are wanting to rip/download uhd discs, they don't work with plex because it tries to transcode. Just read them off a file share.

Isn't a shield almost the same price as a new GPU.. you'll be much happier with one.

Problem is my avr is not 4k compatible (only supports hdmi 1.4). Cheap Gt1030 should be able to decode any 4k 60hz I throw at it (except Netflix 4k). Also shield doesn't have spdif/toslink out which I would need for my old avr.

Yes, a 1030 will work fine. As long as you’re not using MadVR. If using MadVR, 1060 w/6GB minimum.

FYI.. I picked up used gtx1060(6gb). It works great with Kodi (x64 dsplayer) + madVR (lastest HDR).
I have dvi-d to hdmi going to 40" Tv (workouts) (1080P); hdmi going driectly to rs420 (4k); and displayport to hdmi going to my non-4k AVR (7.1 audio works great :))
In windows 10 all 3 displays (AVR is traded as display too) I use extended mode. To avoid "too smart for its own good" windows 10's primary display assignments I masked pin 19 (hotplug) which works great.
Also I've isntalled 2nd copy of Kodi to keep it permanently assigned for my 40" TV.

I've tried GTX460, GTX560, AMD 285, Fury X, Vega 64, and Nvidia 1080TI video cards with two different projectors in my HTPC setup against an Epson 8350 and a Panasonic AE8000U projector.

I'll almost surely get flak for this, but the AMD cards, without a doubt, seem to provide better, more natural black levels with my projectors. I've toyed with messing with the 0-255, and 16-255 colorspace and limited vs full etc. But I don't think I've ever got the nvidia cards to look as good. I'm using a 1080TI right now because my HTPC is also my gaming PC - but I've never been happy with the black levels on the 1080ti, and can't figure out how to get them from either A) making everything look too dark, or B) washed out. It's nitpicking -- but it's there.

I've tried GTX460, GTX560, AMD 285, Fury X, Vega 64, and Nvidia 1080TI video cards with two different projectors in my HTPC setup against an Epson 8350 and a Panasonic AE8000U projector.

I'll almost surely get flak for this, but the AMD cards, without a doubt, seem to provide better, more natural black levels with my projectors. I've toyed with messing with the 0-255, and 16-255 colorspace and limited vs full etc. But I don't think I've ever got the nvidia cards to look as good. I'm using a 1080TI right now because my HTPC is also my gaming PC - but I've never been happy with the black levels on the 1080ti, and can't figure out how to get them from either A) making everything look too dark, or B) washed out. It's nitpicking -- but it's there.

Yeap, it is not easy to set it up. It takes a lot of time... I'm currently very happy with my setup.

The GPU/nvidia driver should always be set RGB to 0-255 FULL, your player i.e. MPC-HC with madVR to 0-255 and your display TV / projector to full / enhanced 0-255

~OR~

The GPU/nvidia driver should always be set RGB to 0-255 FULL, your player i.e. MPC-HC with madVR to 16-235 and your display TV / projector to low / normal 16-235

Try AVS HD 709 calibration video test paterns.

I've still never got this quite right on NVidia, but I haven't played with it lately. I found this article today by chance. I'm not crazy afterall. However my playing with 0-255 deep color on the NVidia control panel still never got me the quality of AMD out of the box on my various projectors. This kind of explains some of why.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/
For some reason i can recall going back to even my ATI All-in-wonder 128 that AMD has always managed to have better image quality when it came to colors?

I switched my 1080TI and projector to YCbCr444, That seemed to look better than anything I could do with RGB settings after lots of tinkering. Is it identical to AMD now? I don't know, haven't had AMD in close to a year a this point - but it isn't noticeably washed out or crushed blacks now. It's tolerable, and the best I've ever seen Nvidia look on my Pansaonic AE8000U projector.

Back