New 3DS model

SeymourGore

Supreme [H]ardness
Just announced this morning, faster hardware, and a new 'analogue stick'.

http://kotaku.com/how-does-the-new-3ds-compare-to-the-older-one-1628391755

cgoeijupxb1o7uj50grg.png

Xenoblade Chronicles coming to 3DS. One of the best JRPGs to come out in years if you haven't played this already.

Xenoblade Chronicles coming to 3DS. One of the best JRPGs to come out in years if you haven't played this already.

Yar, and if I'm reading this correctly it's only going to be compatible with the new 3DS hardware (because it requires the newer, more robust CPU). Not sure if that's official or a misinterpreted translation.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/224476/Nintendo_reveals_the_New_Nintendo_3DS.php

The new C-style stick's pretty cool, I imagine it'll have a similar feel to the Gamecube c-stick (albeit smaller).

Having just gotten a 3DSXL last December, I can't say I'm super pleased to hear there's a new model out already. Plus, the right thumbstick looks REALLY tiny...I don't think it'll take the place of my Circle Pad Pro.

But I'll definitely try one out and, if the games warrant it, probably end up getting one. I guess my GF can have my current one and then maybe she'll play Monster Hunter with me... :p

I do like that they changed the Start/Select button design back to the classic. Having them take up the whole bottom of the 3DSXL didn't really make sense. I wonder if they changed the speakers as well, given the new hole pattern. Would be nice because the 3DSXL speakers kind of suck.

I imagine there will be a Pokemon version out in November, in case anyone is on the fence.

wait is the second circle pad included in the new model?

Nadda, that pic is a comparison shot between the old 3DS with the second circle pad attachment and the new model.

Apparently the Xenoblade game will need the new model to run and it will not be compatible with the older hardware. Which kinda surprises me, I wonder if there will be a lot of games that require the new hardware to run.

I can see this confusing consumers as they purchase software not designed for their 3DS but for the NEW 3DS.

Still, I'm liking the updates on the new model, my son has a 3DS and when I've had to use the Nintendo eShop on there it felt pretty decent to me, so to see this aspect of the system receive a speed boost should make it feel especially zippy now.

I'm really curious to see how that c-stick will work. It's being compared to the Gamecube c-stick, however I wonder how such a small version of it will work.

Oh, and I'm not too impressed by the new shoulder button placements, doesn't seem like it'd be all that comfortable to me. I was expecting more of a Playstation-style setup.

From what it looks like, the new stick will be one of those shitty "nubs" that they put on laptops for mouse control. If that's the case then I don't really see it being that effective.

Having just gotten a 3DSXL last December, I can't say I'm super pleased to hear there's a new model out already.

I got mine just a few months ago. I am not too pleased myself. The extra battery duration would have been worth it. I do like the new start/select button though. They are really in an awkward position on the 3DS XL.

Apparently the Xenoblade game will need the new model to run and it will not be compatible with the older hardware. Which kinda surprises me, I wonder if there will be a lot of games that require the new hardware to run.

And this would be terrible if true. If that was the case they should have waited a bit longer to release an entirely new system. Although the extra power would have been helpful seeing as the 3DS XL struggles in some of the games I play (Ace Combat in both 2D and 3D and Pokemon with 3D enabled).

I got mine just a few months ago. I am not too pleased myself. The extra battery duration would have been worth it. I do like the new start/select button though. They are really in an awkward position on the 3DS XL.

And this would be terrible if true. If that was the case they should have waited a bit longer to release an entirely new system. Although the extra power would have been helpful seeing as the 3DS XL struggles in some of the games I play (Ace Combat in both 2D and 3D and Pokemon with 3D enabled).

Your way late to the party if your just getting a 3ds recently. Its not like it was released and a year later a hardware revision came out

From what it looks like, the new stick will be one of those shitty "nubs" that they put on laptops for mouse control. If that's the case then I don't really see it being that effective.

I never even thought of that and hope it's not that style of control. The more I look at it, the less it looks like it'd control like the old Gamecube c-stick (there's not really any space for it to rotate like a standard analogue stick). Who knows, it might just basically be a tiny circle pad.

Currently at work so can't view any videos, but I'm hoping there's one of it in action.

Those of you that feel slighted by a new model because you just got one do realize that the 3dsxl has been out since July\August 2012 that 2 years for that model.

Just pointing that out if they release it here in the US I'll buy it.

Yar, and if I'm reading this correctly it's only going to be compatible with the new 3DS hardware (because it requires the newer, more robust CPU). Not sure if that's official or a misinterpreted translation.

But in that case it would be wrong to call this a new 3DS model. If it is more powerful than the old one and has games that does not work with the older one then its essentially a new system, a next generation from 3DS.

Your way late to the party if your just getting a 3ds recently. Its not like it was released and a year later a hardware revision came out

Yeah, its only been ~3.5 years since the 3DS line came out and there are now 5 different variations of it. :rolleyes: Kind of invalidates the point in owning a console if I have to upgrade every year or so.

Personally I would have preferred if they waited another year or so to release an all new console line.

Yeah, its only been ~3.5 years since the 3DS line came out and there are now 5 different variations of it. :rolleyes: Kind of invalidates the point in owning a console if I have to upgrade every year or so.

Personally I would have preferred if they waited another year or so to release an all new console line.

But all of them are different and attract different people. People who want the 3ds and 3d effect will never look at the 2ds, the XL followed suit of how the DS was released with an XL version coming ~a year later.

The only reason this is much of an impact is because of an improved CPU.

And there is 4 version, 3ds, 3dsxl, 2ds and now this

This appears to be a very nice upgrade. I took one of my nephews' 3DS XLs on indefinite loan last week (it had been 6 months since he used it - he's all about Android gaming on tablet and phone now). It's fortunate that I didn't break down and buy another for myself, so I can just buy the new one when it hits North America...it's weird, by the way, that they don't want to take advantage of the holiday season with it; looks like it'll be a spring release instead.

That screenshot really makes that c-stick look like it'll have a 'laptop nub'-like feel.

Also, I get that updated hardware revisions are a cool thing, but when the new hardware revision makes it so that game software won't run on the old versions - well, that's not so cool. At least give the system a fancy new name (ie: Gameboy to Gameboy Colour) and not just the 'New 3DS' to help consumers differentiate what software is compatible with what. I'm hoping this name is just a placeholder.

I can just picture Old Granny right now, trying to purchase a title for her grandkid; the label reading: "This game only supports the new 3DS, not the old 3DS". Riddle me that, Granny!

That screenshot really makes that c-stick look like it'll have a 'laptop nub'-like feel.

Also, I get that updated hardware revisions are a cool thing, but when the new hardware revision makes it so that game software won't run on the old versions - well, that's not so cool. At least give the system a fancy new name (ie: Gameboy to Gameboy Colour) and not just the 'New 3DS' to help consumers differentiate what software is compatible with what. I'm hoping this name is just a placeholder.

I can just picture Old Granny right now, trying to purchase a title for her grandkid; the label reading: "This game only supports the new 3DS, not the old 3DS". Riddle me that, Granny!

They could change the name for the states, like 3DS XL, is 3DS LL in Japan.
I'd like Super 3DS, it would only make sense. This is just like DSi, its a hardware upgrade, we don't lose BC this time, the wireless is improved, the controls match the WiiU gamepad(possible connectivity in some way??), and some exclusives just like DSiWare and GBC games.

If its about money, just upgrade your 3DS at Gamestop or somewhere. Gamestop for the last 3 handhelds has ALWAYS done trade in offers on release. They will even let you transfer your data to the new one before trading it in. I did DS>DSi>3DS with them.

But all of them are different and attract different people. People who want the 3ds and 3d effect will never look at the 2ds, the XL followed suit of how the DS was released with an XL version coming ~a year later.

The only reason this is much of an impact is because of an improved CPU.

And there is 4 version, 3ds, 3dsxl, 2ds and now this

IMO the 2DS should have been the 3DS XL without the 3D mode, but I bet it would not have been a big enough price difference to justify it. I don't care for the 3D mode (makes things blurry IMO) and causes a big performance hit. But if I could've saved $20-30 and got a 3DS XL without 3D mode I would have. :p

If its about money, just upgrade your 3DS at Gamestop or somewhere. Gamestop for the last 3 handhelds has ALWAYS done trade in offers on release. They will even let you transfer your data to the new one before trading it in. I did DS>DSi>3DS with them.

How fair are the upgrade prices? I know for games it isn't worth trading in as they essentially give you nothing, but I never did hardware.

Around $100 each time. Totally fair for the extremely used launch portable I usually give them. lol
I missed a step, DS>DSlite, then DSlite>DSi. I think the DSlite to DSi transaction was $90 trade in.

They say the new one has "Improved 3D Viewing", I wonder what that means? If it means a wider viewing angle that would be great, because one of the huge downsides to the 3D right now is that you literally have to have it in one centimeter-perfect position to get it to look right. And even then I notice weird "ghosting" effects when you have light objects on a dark background.

As long as this isn't obscenely expensive I could see myself getting one and keeping my Zelda 3DSXL to have for MP with the girlfriend or others who come over.

They could change the name for the states, like 3DS XL, is 3DS LL in Japan.
I'd like Super 3DS, it would only make sense. This is just like DSi, its a hardware upgrade, we don't lose BC this time, the wireless is improved, the controls match the WiiU gamepad(possible connectivity in some way??), and some exclusives just like DSiWare and GBC games.

Yar, "Super 3DS" would be pretty great. They're definitely taking design cues from the SNES, and it'd be pretty rad if they do have some sort of increased connectivity with the Wii U (Gamepad-style streaming to the new 3DS would be awesome).

It's not quite like the DSi, that machine received a hardware boost that enabled it new software features, but afaik, didn't have game titles (excluding built-in software) that required the use of a DSi over a standard DS.

Still, totally agree with your upgrade path, system trade-in promotions are great (especially if you're doing it to get the upgraded form factor).

Yar, "Super 3DS" would be pretty great. They're definitely taking design cues from the SNES, and it'd be pretty rad if they do have some sort of increased connectivity with the Wii U (Gamepad-style streaming to the new 3DS would be awesome).

It's not quite like the DSi, that machine received a hardware boost that enabled it new software features, but afaik, didn't have game titles (excluding built-in software) that required the use of a DSi over a standard DS.

Still, totally agree with your upgrade path, system trade-in promotions are great (especially if you're doing it to get the upgraded form factor).

I wish there was this type of upgrade/change path for digital games. I made the mistake of buying alot of physical discs on PS4 when remote play works much better with digital copies because you dont have to have the disc in the system. But to "upgrade" them to digital i Would have to pay full price and take whatever piss poor credit Game Stop gives me on the phys

They say the new one has "Improved 3D Viewing", I wonder what that means? If it means a wider viewing angle that would be great, because one of the huge downsides to the 3D right now is that you literally have to have it in one centimeter-perfect position to get it to look right. And even then I notice weird "ghosting" effects when you have light objects on a dark background.

As long as this isn't obscenely expensive I could see myself getting one and keeping my Zelda 3DSXL to have for MP with the girlfriend or others who come over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdm0m0XdDc

It did, sort of. You can't play downloadable games on the original DS while the DSi has access to Nintendo's online store. Apparently, there are also some titles that provide extra functionality on the DSi while still being playable on the older DS devices...unless they change the name for its US release, I expect that's the way things will work with the new 3DS - most games will continue working on all 3DS devices, a few will enable different features/controls on the new ones, and a very few will only work on the new ones.

I wonder if this is outright replacing the existing 3DS and XL, like a rolling release, or is it going to be sold concurrently, like I remember the DS and DSi were.

So my question is will old 3DS games I have play any better with the new model? (Ie no dips)

I wonder if this is outright replacing the existing 3DS and XL, like a rolling release, or is it going to be sold concurrently, like I remember the DS and DSi were.

That seems like it would be a good way to do things, especially since they're going to release a normal and XL model together.

So my question is will old 3DS games I have play any better with the new model? (Ie no dips)

Hard to say, though possibly. It does have a faster CPU but Nintendo hasn't said if it will affect current 3DS games.

Glad that I waited. This looks good. Although it's time to drop the touch screen. Hate using the touch screen on my DSLite.

Keep the buttons and top screen and call it a super gameboycube

Improved 3D viewing angles? I'm day one then. I love 3D on the 3DS. I hate the viewing angles though. If this aims to help widen them and eliminate crosstalk then I'm fucking on board. Plus a more powerful CPU/GPU with more RAM? I mean shit yea.

Portable Nintendo handhelds go through all kinds of upgrades throughout their life cycles. This is all perfectly normal for Nintendo.

Portable Nintendo handhelds go through all kinds of upgrades throughout their life cycles. This is all perfectly normal for Nintendo.

The issue with this upgrade is that retail games might not work with the old hardware even though the branding is very similar.

They've done this once or twice before depending on your point of view. The DSi had exclusives but they were all download titles (I'm perfectly fine with that since the DS couldn't download games), and the gameboy color had some exclusives that didn't work on regular gameboy.

Yeah, when it arrives I will just do the GameStop stepup thing, trading in my 3DS and getting the new XL when its available.

I understand the inherent risks with buying technology, but this one stings a little worse than normal. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for them, since it seems like it has potential to backfire. I know I'll get one, but here is my mini rant:

1. The 3DS is only 3.5 years old. It seems awfully quick for phasing out a system. Sure they tried to do it with the DSi, but that was a system that ended up with no real exclusive games (other than on their app store)

2. Many people that skipped the original 3DS got the XL model just a couple of years ago. Many that had the original 3DS upgraded to the XL with the various limited editions that they sold last year.

3. Before the XL was revealed, everybody called for it to have the second circle pad included. Nintendo ignored the requests. With this announcement, they went as far to say that they no longer need to cater to the casual market (due to cell phones). Now that they need money, they are targeting the same market that they ignored a couple years ago.

4. Since the launch is delayed in North America, will they lose sales of people that were planning to buy one for Smash Brothers? Will this hurt their holiday sales?

5. They have stated that the new system has better wireless, that may give people an advantage in Smash Brothers. Frustrating again.

Around $100 each time. Totally fair for the extremely used launch portable I usually give them. lol
I missed a step, DS>DSlite, then DSlite>DSi. I think the DSlite to DSi transaction was $90 trade in.

That isn't too bad. Do you know if trade ins stack with sales/rebates?

First exclusive:
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik

Shulk was also just announced as new character in Smash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik

I see what they're doing. This is perfect. And then X on WiiU next year...

I'm so pumped for Xenoblade : Chronicles. I purposely avoided buying a copy from Gamefail for $89 in the hopes that it might one day see a proper remastered version. I don't get all the fuss with a new DS being released. This is all business as usual for Nintendo. I don't believe it will "fragment" the audience a ton. Nintendo won't aggressively push exclusive titles for this until the adoption rate is higher. I don't mind a trickle down of releases.

I love the fact that it downloads games faster. Fucking 3DS is slow as my old (still functional) iPhone 3GS when it comes to downloading anything. The improved 3D viewing angles is has me super hyped. I like 3D for the 3DS. So this is a godsend.

Please Nintendo announce the North American release date. My body is ready!

Back