New 3930K - Some overclocking questions

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
Hi all! I am happy to report I have put together my new 3930K build and things seem to running great. As this is my first i7, I had just wanted to bounce a few questions off the Hard collective. I have always been a manual tuner when it comes to overclocking, but after hearing the great things about the auto overclocking on the p9x79 board I thought it would give it a go. After about fifteen minutes worth of adjustments, it settled on 129 x 38 , or 4.9 Ghz at 1.38 volts. Under load this voltage seems very constant, and the highest I have seen it spike is about 1.39. With my H100i temps are hitting about 75C running Prime 95, but things are stable.

I guess I am wondering if this sort of voltage and these temps are safe. Compared to my old QX6700, this hexacore monster is running cool, but as I said I am not too sure what is considered a safe range for such a chip. Also, is the voltage selected by the auto overclock within reason? Lastly, with the unlocked chip, is there any reason not to just manually raise the multiplier and leave the BLK clock alone, thereby ensuring that all my other components are within spec? Or should I just relax, and just enjoy the overclock selected by the Asus software?

On another note, I had NO idea there was going to be this much of a performance jump from my overclocked QX6700. Running at 3.2 Ghz I was scoring about 3.5 on Cinebench, and on my new rig I just ripped off a score of 14.1 . I can't wait to get my copy of 3DSMax installed on the machine and do some comparisons!

Thanks in advance for any help!

That is an extremely good overclocker, the majority of the hex core chips settle around 4.5-4.6 with that voltage. Good temps too, stress test it well and enjoy.

As far as multi vs BLCK, either way is fine but don't try to push the BLCK more than 6-8mhz past the strap you're using or you may encounter some instabilities. For full on benching you might get 10-12mhz past it but not for daily use. Most people use multi only, I usually use the 125 boot strap with mine.

Did this Chip come from Retail Edge? Ive got a 3930k on the way as well and hoping for some good clocks out of it too! 4.9Ghz is great on a hexacore, the average is 4.5 I believe. as for voltage, Ive seen people go higher 1.45ish with SB-E. It really in what your cooling can handle though. 75 is approaching that 80 degree ceiling that your supposed to stay under though. Im going with 1.42 I think, see where that gets me. We have the same cooler, but I used GT AP-29 for fans instead.

I would set voltages manually. You could potentially lower vcore. Auto usually puts too much voltage. Give it a try. I agree, you have a good chip there. Love 2011 and the temps!

Did a few tweak and it is Prime 95 stable at 4.8 at 1.38 volts at 100 x 48. Temps seemed to have taken a big drop with peaks reaching under 70C. Color me impressed, what a great chip!

Has this been running 4.8 stable last 6 months?

I've got to push 1.42 to get 4.4 stable but no heat problems with my H100i, even with the 290x there... and it's nice when not gaming the voltage drops very low!

I can go 4.6 on the same but it crashes. I haven't played much with it.

Back