New 27 inch 1440p display for gaming (Mostly MMOs, RTS)

androsforever

Weaksauce
A friend of mine is asking me for advice on a new 27 inch monitor to mostly play WoW and other RTS games on.

I was thinking of recommending him something along the lines of an IPS with less blur as possible, I don't think 3D is vital to him but I imagine it would be an added bonus.

His budget is from 300 Euro to 700 Euro max, but would prefer to save if possible. Max value for money is what he is truly looking for.

Care to drop your 2 cents? :)

If you don't mind a PLS monitor, you can go with the Qnix Qx2710. Mine didn't come with any dead pixels but it did have backlight bleed on the lower left part of the screen. They can overclock to 120hz but I only got mine stable at 96hz (more than enough). They run about $330-$350 US so pretty much at the bottom of your budget.

Had one of those and they are great, however now it's much harder to find the older versions (which were better than the new AH VA ones) and I don't want to import from Korea as that will cost him a very large percentage in customs over here in Italy.

"IPS with less blur as possible" Well thats the trick. The best monitor in my opinion to get for RTS and MMO's is going to be the Asus Swift PG278Q.

I noticed a huuuuuge difference in FFXIV:ARR with motion blur reduction. Before panning the camera it would be a blurry mess with the Qnix (even with overclocking to 96hz) but with the Asus Swift it was crisper and I could actually make out the names above peoples heads. Sure standing around the Auction House the Qnix might look better but for a game where you are on the move (and which game arent you moving around a lot?) the Swift is king as the only current monitor with 144hz 1440p and gsynch thrown in (which is really really nice).

Granted the color isn't as nice but tbh its not horrible. If you can find it for 700 euro idk though.
The Qnix is a lot cheaper and that is something to be considered. Get that and wait for OLED ? Might be waiting a while.

"IPS with less blur as possible" Well thats the trick. The best monitor in my opinion to get for RTS and MMO's is going to be the Asus Swift PG278Q.

I noticed a huuuuuge difference in FFXIV:ARR with motion blur reduction. Before panning the camera it would be a blurry mess with the Qnix (even with overclocking to 96hz) but with the Asus Swift it was crisper and I could actually make out the names above peoples heads. Sure standing around the Auction House the Qnix might look better but for a game where you are on the move (and which game arent you moving around a lot?) the Swift is king as the only current monitor with 144hz 1440p and gsynch thrown in (which is really really nice).

Granted the color isn't as nice but tbh its not horrible. If you can find it for 700 euro idk though.
The Qnix is a lot cheaper and that is something to be considered. Get that and wait for OLED ? Might be waiting a while.

I completely agree, especially at the "and which game arent you moving around a lot" part. I can't stand motion blur for first person, Rts, pretty much any type of game because of that simple concept. Pretty much every game you play is going to have a lot of fast and constant motion, unless you are playing Age of Empires or the like ^^. I recently tried buying a TV with what seemed to be much greater picture quality than my Eizo fg2421 monitor at first impression, but after playing Far Cry 4 on it for a while I would be baffled by the constant amount of blur taking detail away from the picture, making that still framed beautiful picture meaningless as long as I moved anywhere. After keeping them side by side in mirror mode I actually calibrated my monitor to have much better color accuracy than before and could not even look at the TV even though it was bigger and would have been more immersive if not for the motion blur. Point of the story, motion blur reduction is extremely important for overall picture quality.

Back on topic, my friend says that actually he would prefer a full HD 27 incher, because he is planning to play WoW mostly on it and doesn't have much GPU power to run it at 1400p or above. Same prerequisites as above, although I imagine prices are going to drop for a simple FullHD.

i use a 27" ips 2560x1440p to game. i have a Nixeus Vue 27"D IPS monitor. it is great and lovely, the colors are amazing. i think it is fine for gaming even with the 6ms, 60hz.

i play games like dota, cs, wow , etc... for dota and WoW i use full 2560x1440p resolution. For cs i put it on 1920x1080p, just cause i like the higher frame rates. especially if you are using it for rts i dont see the problem.

So yea it really depends and you can always scale down the resolution.

i use a 27" ips 2560x1440p to game. i have a Nixeus Vue 27"D IPS monitor. it is great and lovely, the colors are amazing. i think it is fine for gaming even with the 6ms, 60hz.

i play games like dota, cs, wow , etc... for dota and WoW i use full 2560x1440p resolution. For cs i put it on 1920x1080p, just cause i like the higher frame rates. especially if you are using it for rts i dont see the problem.

So yea it really depends and you can always scale down the resolution.

I can't find these in Europe :(

You move a lot in FFXIV: ARR? Last I checked the global was still like 2 seconds so you have time to make a sammich or three before you can do anything again....although maybe thats the issue, so much time is spent not pressing buttons you gotta spin and run around randomly.

On a serious note if he's just doing RTS/MMO's there really is no explicit need for the fast response time of TN panel, one that because its ROG branded and Gsync costs about $300 more than it rightfully should. I'd see if he can hold out a couple months because CES 2015 looked amazing for IPS 1440P monitors. Is hr opposed to 21:9?

Last edited:
Back