New 2692 bigadv!

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, has anyone gotten the new 2692 bigadv yet? Folding2 just downloaded one this morning and the TPF's are incredible. If the base and bonus point structure are just like the 2682, 2685, 2686 bigadv's, this is going to be another very good work unit for us. I am getting TPF's of just a tad over 24 minutes.

Nope, not yet. I only have two -bigadv clients running since -bigadv came to Windows, and well over 50% of the WUs I have received in that time has been P2684s.

dont be surprised if you keep getting 2684's.
There are a ton of them.

i have just been watching the server stats over the last few months
when they released these 2692's the WU available didnt increase much, same with the others. So that leads me to beleive there are still a lot of 2684s needing to be processed.

Nope, not yet. I only have two -bigadv clients running since -bigadv came to Windows, and well over 50% of the WUs I have received in that time has been P2684s.

Sounds like a curse to me. Then again I've been getting quite a few as well. :confused:

i have just been watching the server stats over the last few months
when they released these 2692's the WU available didnt increase much, same with the others. So that leads me to beleive there are still a lot of 2684s needing to be processed.
I wouldn't be surprised. All I have been getting on one system since the beginning is 2684s, nothing else.

I've gotten one 2692. Pretty good PpD.

I'm down to one i7 920 right now, but should have my other one back online on Friday.

is it safe to run bigadv in windows now?

last i checked a couple months ago when windows bigadv first came out, random WU's would corrupt for no reason. been running normal A3 ever since
system is an i7 @ 3.8ghz, 6gb RAM, and lately lots of SC2 :-/

yeah they have gotten much better in the last couple months.. havent seen to many failures.. and the ones that are they are removing pretty quickly..

These units rock.

The 2xOpteron 6168 box is getting a frame time of 21:53 on average, but has gone as low as 21:43 which is 55.5 and 60.8K PPD respectively.

They are definitely the fastest BigAdv units out of the bunch.

is it safe to run bigadv in windows now?

last i checked a couple months ago when windows bigadv first came out, random WU's would corrupt for no reason. been running normal A3 ever since
system is an i7 @ 3.8ghz, 6gb RAM, and lately lots of SC2 :-/

Ever since bigadv went to windows, I havn't had a single problem with them other than the one that failed on folding2 due to bad hardware. Windows bigadv has been incredibly stable and far better than Linux A2 bigadv ever was.

Ever since bigadv went to windows, I havn't had a single problem with them other than the one that failed on folding2 due to bad hardware. Windows bigadv has been incredibly stable and far better than Linux A2 bigadv ever was.

I can't say that I agree with you there. Linux A2 bigadv, especially in a native Linux install, was almost flawless. Any problem I had with it was almost always operator error. All of the units were worth approximately the same amount, so your ppd production stayed very stable. With Windows bigadv, the P2684 units are horrid and you tend to get several of them in a row (have have run close to 10 of them this week resulting in a 75K ppd swing from last weekend.) I have losts several due to some memory issue on smp 16 boxes. If you get the good ones and don't run into some stupid Stanford bug, they are great. Otherwise, I'll take my A2's.

I envy your system 10e!! :eek:

Me too! And just imagine what he will be able to do once Bulldozer comes out, assuming that Asus won't act like pricks by not releasing the appropriate bios update. You gotta love the WOW factor of having 24 physical cores via 2 processors, even if they are technically just Istanbuls that are bolted together.

I can't say that I agree with you there. Linux A2 bigadv, especially in a native Linux install, was almost flawless. Any problem I had with it was almost always operator error. All of the units were worth approximately the same amount, so your ppd production stayed very stable. With Windows bigadv, the P2684 units are horrid and you tend to get several of them in a row (have have run close to 10 of them this week resulting in a 75K ppd swing from last weekend.) I have losts several due to some memory issue on smp 16 boxes. If you get the good ones and don't run into some stupid Stanford bug, they are great. Otherwise, I'll take my A2's.

I can't count how many A2 bigadv I lost even though I shut down the client properly by using ctrl-c. With Windows bigadv, I really enjoy how it is very robust and that I havn't lost a single work unit yet from shutting the client down to perform updates and other stuff. I guess I never had the kind of problems you guys have had since I only had a quad core only to recently add a hexa-core a few weeks ago.

Well, Linux A2 -bigadv was stable if your system was stable and you didn't need to restart frequently. I lost a few WUs when I needed to restart unexpectedly for some reason. It could have been my systems although I remember a few people stating the same experience. Otherwise, I had very few issues and loved the original -bigadv despite the fact I had to use VMs on some of my systems. Of course we don't want to get into A2 P2684 because that was the death knell for Linux -bigadv...

I can't say that I agree with you there. Linux A2 bigadv, especially in a native Linux install, was almost flawless. Any problem I had with it was almost always operator error. All of the units were worth approximately the same amount, so your ppd production stayed very stable.
Yup, we always knew what our production was going to be and there was little to no variation.

With Windows bigadv, the P2684 units are horrid and you tend to get several of them in a row (have have run close to 10 of them this week resulting in a 75K ppd swing from last weekend.)
I have had the same experience with a very long run of P2684s, especially on one system. I strongly believe Stanford needs to rethink this WU, whether it is readjusting its value or lengthening its bonus deadline or both. They are even worse than the P670x WUs are for standard SMP. I have no idea what they were thinking of when the P2684 was released for Linux and then Windows A3... :confused: :confused:

Otherwise, I'll take my A2's.
So would I if for no other reason than to have all my systems processing -bigadv again. Hope they can get Linux -bigadv back to see if it will work out better for me. All of us plan on specific upgrades and system builds based on a certain formula that has been in effect for over half a year and then the game rules are changed...

I envy your system 10e!! :eek:

Well it's no SR-2, but I'm pretty darn happy with it.

Now just trying to figure out why she reboots every once in a while with kernel power errors. This NUMA vs. UMA Thurman stuff is quite interesting. With NUMA (non-uniform memory access) set up, performance in folding drops 33% but stability is rock-solid perfect, but with UMA (uniform memory access) performance is great, but stability seems iffy.

With UMA each CPU only accesses its own memory bank, but with NUMA it accesses the other CPU's memory banks via HT. Pretty neat stuff.

Another member of my other folding team is having the EXACT same issue with his 6168x2 Asus KGPE-D16 setup, but this muthafolder has two ENGINEERING sample Opteron 6168 CPUs at 2.8Ghz and can get over 80K PPD!

And he's another crazy Canuck like us!

As AMDgamer says, if Asus does us right and has a BullDozer compatible BIOS update prepared, the BD chips will be dropping into that mobo. If not then Supermicro and/or Tyan will get my business.

I dont, I've been fighting him off for awhile now haha

Next P2692 BigAdv is going to drop from the Opteron system in T-minus 5 hours for 84,000 points.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Just kidding! I mow with love!

Let's just say when EVGA comes within a month of us, there will be a change. It will be a very [H]ard change ;)

EDIT: In terms of reliability the A2 units were fairly reliable. I only lost two or three in about four months of folding them. The A3 units have actually been as good or better for me though. Even the original troublesome P2682 units folded on the Magny Cours box with -smp 22 and -smp 24 without issue or memory allocation problems. The A3 BigAdv units on Linux for me were very problematic. I probably lost nearly half a million points from them prior to them being pulled. I was not happy.

Me too! And just imagine what he will be able to do once Bulldozer comes out, assuming that Asus won't act like pricks by not releasing the appropriate bios update. You gotta love the WOW factor of having 24 physical cores via 2 processors, even if they are technically just Istanbuls that are bolted together.
This system will be a killer if it can seamlessly support Bulldozer upon release...

I can't count how many A2 bigadv I lost even though I shut down the client properly by using ctrl-c. With Windows bigadv, I really enjoy how it is very robust and that I havn't lost a single work unit yet from shutting the client down to perform updates and other stuff.
Admittedly, Windows A3 is very dependable and stable, there's no question about that. I was OK with Linux A2 because I rarely had to restart. My VMs were very reliable since all one had to do was suspend the VM and it was fine. Native installs required waiting for the WU to complete before restarting the machine in order to prevent a possible WU crash. That was really the only downside.

Next P2692 BigAdv is going to drop from the Opteron system in T-minus 5 hours for 84,000 points.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Just kidding! I mow with love!

Let's just say when EVGA comes within a month of us, there will be a change. It will be a very [H]ard change ;)

:eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

14760826.jpg

Back