New 24" 1080p monitor

strenng

n00b
Hi, I’m looking for a new monitor with these parameters:

• Around 24" (23 or 25 is still acceptable for me)
  • 1920x1080 native resolution
  • According to your experience didn’t cause eye strain or fatigue.
  • Budget 400 dollars
  • Also preferring VA panels over IPS
  • Didn’t want bigger than 25" and bigger resolution because working with some applications which are optimized only for 1080p.
I’m using monitor 80% for work (programing, web browsing, reading etc.) 20% for gaming. I have mostly concern about eye strain, because I just tried Ausus VG245 and DELL U2412M both are verry uncomfortable for work, dell are also unusable for gaming, but asus in games produce acceptable results, but I was unable to set color/contrast/brightness profile which should be usable for work.

I’m currently looking for 24" Samsung Odyssey G3, but not sure if will be a right choice.

Thanks for your advices, mostly I’m interested on your own experience with this kind of monitors.

VA panels are much slower than IPS for games.
Especially dark to dark transitions are very slows and this causes ugly visible streaks. If U2412M seemed too slow then I would definitely not recommend going VA.
My recommendation will go to something like this: 27", IPS, 2560x1440, 144/160Hz
Fairly cheap for what you are getting, good quality, excellent for games.

According to reviews has the Samsung Odysey best response times on VA panels available. According to some measurement is about 2.7ms.

I was not complaining about response times of U2412M, I was complaining about overall image quality.

Also as I said above, currently there is now way to me going to more than 1080p, because working with some application which cannot handle different resolution very well. Also owning only 1060 GTX and at this time is impossible to obtain better GPU.

My Samsung CFG70 recently started getting the vertical line issue, so I've been looking at a replacement 1080p VA monitor myself. Is this the one you're looking at too?

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/24--odyssey-g3-monitor-lf24g35tfwnxza/

I think these Samsung monitors are really the best gaming VA panels you can get, and while I haven't tried the Odyssey G3 yet, it looks like it's almost the same panel as the one in the monitor I've enjoyed for the past three years. This one:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/lc24fg70fqnxza-lc24fg70fqnxza/

Exactly the same size and specs as the one I have. The color is good, the refresh rates are great, black levels and contrast are good, the only problem is it started giving out last year, and I originally blamed it on my GPU because I only saw the issue on boot and it would clear up after I left the computer to warm up for a while. I had sleep mode/power saving disabled and that caused me to a miss a sign that it might be the actual monitor, didn't realize it until I bought a new computer and found the monitor has weird lines when powered on, no matter what I have hooked up to it.

I'm kind of hoping that they've resolved the issues the CFG70 had with the Odyssey G3, and I think the issues were with the driver board. I hope the G3 series has much improved driver boards this time, because the panels they power are really nice, and I bet it is the same panel.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

i'm using Samsung Odyssey G3 currently and i would recommend it.
Beside this, i'm not a fan of curved monitors. I mean, if you changed your monitor into vertical position, so a curved monitor might be an disadvanted or? Maybe someone can proof me wrong ;)

And sorry for my bad english.
But Samsung Odyssey G3 should be flat. Or?

Back