New 23"-24" IPS Display

Hey Guys

I'm looking to purchase a new 23"-24" monitor. I work a lot with text (webpages, ebooks, source code, documentation) and games (TBS & RPG) and moderately with pictures and videos. I need maximum picture quality, an easy on the eyes setup and some decent gaming capabilities. Native resolution of 1920 x 1200 (or higher) is a must, no TN panels.

I currently have the Apple Cinema Display HD 23" I bought in the beginning of 2008. NEC LCD2490WUXi had been the first choice but it wasn't available in Europe at that time so I settled for Apple. It was a great choice, the newer 27" model however is too big for me and the glossy screen is kind of deal breaker.

So far I've been looking at some EIZO (some of them are quite expensive, are they worth it) and NEC models, possibly Fujitsu and Asus.

EIZO FlexScan SX2462W
EIZO Foris FX2431
Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS
NEC P241W-BK
NEC PA241W-BK
Asus ProArt PA246Q

Do you have any recommendation? Any known issues with the above mentioned models so I could more easily rule them out?

Thanks!

I've seen the Asus ProArt PA246Q in person and let me tell you, aesthetically, it's an eye sore. I believe the picture suffers as well because of the heavy anti-glare coating. I've also read some terrible reviews of the ProArt 238q complaining about extreme backlight bleeding, I don't know if that's also a problem with the 248.

If you watch the youtube videos the Asus ProArt PA246Q seems to be suffering from all kind of problems, glow and flickering included. The Prad review however rated it as Good, that is why I included it on the short list.

On the other hand, youtube also paints a rather gloomy image for the NEC PA241W-BK, a highly praised by many reviewers (e.g. Prad, Ron's blog). So not sure how much to trust those complaints.

The NEC PA241W-BK seems much better compared to P241W-BK, as apparently you can easily switch from aRGB to sRGB so you could use the PA241W-BK as a P241W-BK, should you need it, but not other way around. Unless I got it wrong. None are recommended for text though. :( How serious is it?

I've seen people recommending the ColorEdge rather than the FlexScan from EIZO, including here, on hardforum, so I've added the CG243 to the list, apparently the best from the pack. It's rather for reference only as it cost twice as much as any other on the list and more than I'd be willing to spend.

I didn't now about the IPS vs VA epic argument raging on, kind of Apple vs PC. :) The Foris has a VA panel so maybe I should rule it out for now based on the opinions I've seen.

Last edited:
Back