New 1950x build... and I went all out...

I did an initial test of the NVME RAID, and man! This thing is smoking fast! I also found out something rather interesting. As I am sure everyone knows, the PCIE lanes on Threadripper are straight to the CPU. This in turn means you need to run consistantly high clock speeds (and memory) to get the full speed out of your RAID array. Take a look at this.. First image is a CrystalDiskMark with the CPU speed set to AUTO (which means the UEFI dynamically changes CPU speed):

upload_2017-10-4_0-49-17.png

Now take a look at what happens if I hard set the clock speed to 4250MHz:

upload_2017-10-4_0-50-32.png

I should also mention this is with 3x 1TB 960 Pro's. I have a couple more I could throw in there as I have a 4 slot NVME Amfeltec 16x controller. Hmmmm....

upload_2017-10-4_0-59-54.png

Dude that's amazing. I just bought a 960 pro 1tb and need to get another one for raid. This actually made me hype!

Still been too busy to do much more screwing around with this system, but I did want people to know I have an update on my memory situation. To sum up, I have a 128GB (3000MHz) Corsair Memory kit that is supposedly compatible with X399. It works great with up to 4 modules installed, but the motherboard will not post with more than 4 modules installed. I have tried all available UEFI's and manually entering timings, but nothing has worked. I opened a ticket with Corsair and they have agreed to replace my kit with an updated one. That new kit should be shipped out tomorrow, so hope to have some good news on the memory side soon!

Saw the picture of the power lines in your garage and immediately noticed the car and scrolled through the thread just to see if you mentioned what type of car it is.

Then I see the picture of your garage. *Droool*

I see you aren't a fanboy of chevy or ford, refreshing really!

Saw the picture of the power lines in your garage and immediately noticed the car and scrolled through the thread just to see if you mentioned what type of car it is.

Then I see the picture of your garage. *Droool*

I see you aren't a fanboy of chevy or ford, refreshing really!

The cars are obviously just a hobby, but yeah.. I just get what I think is fun to drive regardless of the brand. I have had three SRT-8 Jeeps, a couple Dodge Challengers (including a Hellcat), two Shelby GT-500's, Saleen Yellow Jacket, Mercedes AMG C-63 507 Edition, two Lexus ISF's, and many others. I even had an AMG SLS Gullwing a few years back... I am kinda the same way with computers. I am not an AMD or Intel Fanboi; I just get whats good and have fun with it... ;)

I want to be like you when I grow up. Sick set up dude.

Thanks!

And I am a product of hard work and determination for sure. If you are passionate about something and work hard, good things will happen to you. Also keep in mind that I dropped out of school three times and attained all my work roles/related achievements without a college degree. Also had no one giving me encouragement. Net result is it made me tough as nails so while I do have talent, it was more important to have a plan and not give up.....

Glad you like the setup!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I did an initial test of the NVME RAID, and man! This thing is smoking fast! I also found out something rather interesting. As I am sure everyone knows, the PCIE lanes on Threadripper are straight to the CPU. This in turn means you need to run consistantly high clock speeds (and memory) to get the full speed out of your RAID array. Take a look at this.. First image is a CrystalDiskMark with the CPU speed set to AUTO (which means the UEFI dynamically changes CPU speed):

View attachment 38503

View attachment 38504

I should also mention this is with 3x 1TB 960 Pro's. I have a couple more I could throw in there as I have a 4 slot NVME Amfeltec 16x controller. Hmmmm....

View attachment 38505

That is [H] as F*ck!
But seriously you will probably not discern a difference between that card and a single sata ssd in day to day lol ... but that is badass storage you got man!

That is [H] as F*ck!
But seriously you will probably not discern a difference between that card and a single sata ssd in day to day lol ... but that is badass storage you got man!

In single threaded tasks, you're right for sure. But I use this machine to do tons of development work so I always have a dozen or so VM's, multiple SQL databases, network logging, etc., so I need the throughput to keep all that running and still have a usable system. I do game on it as well so while its not necessarily as fast as a purely dedicated gaming machine its still 100% usable which is cool! :)

View attachment 38503

View attachment 38504

View attachment 38505
That's just nuts. It takes many HDD's to get to that speed and to do it with only 3 960's is crazy.

The cars are obviously just a hobby, but yeah.. I just get what I think is fun to drive regardless of the brand. I have had three SRT-8 Jeeps, a couple Dodge Challengers (including a Hellcat), two Shelby GT-500's, Saleen Yellow Jacket, Mercedes AMG C-63 507 Edition, two Lexus ISF's, and many others. I even had an AMG SLS Gullwing a few years back... I am kinda the same way with computers. I am not an AMD or Intel Fanboi; I just get whats good and have fun with it... ;)

I own a Hellcat Challenger, they are beastly cars. Viper is fun but you really need to know how to drive it or it can hurt you. Nice car collection you have tho, do you ever take them road course racing?

I own a Hellcat Challenger, they are beastly cars. Viper is fun but you really need to know how to drive it or it can hurt you. Nice car collection you have tho, do you ever take them road course racing?

Yes, I do go to a few tracks every year and spend a day or two putting the cars through their paces.

I always drive with traction control turned off; I like it when my car tries to kill me.. :) The Hellcat is a very easy car to drive. Even when you turn off the nannies, its still very easy to predict what the car is going to do (of course this also depends on drivers skill). The GT500's I have had in the past are a stark contrast in that even with TC and everything else turned *ON* you really need to be on your game to not lose control. Everything I currently have is pretty tame for the most part.

I had my Hellcat pimped out. I had all the badges/grill/windows blacked out. I also had custom side markers which had a small slit of LED lights rather than the huge orange light/reflectors. Last but not least I also had custom made stripes made. My Hellcat was a 2015 and they didnt have stripes available that year. I had matte black stripes with the grill pattern stenciled in them along with sublime green outline stripes. Also had the green outlined on the rear view mirrors. The place I had it done has a photo booth large enough to fit cars into it, so I have some good pictures of it. I traded this in as well as a 2015 SRT-8 Jeep straight up on the Z06 I currently have. Here are a couple pics:

upload_2017-10-13_23-56-7.png

upload_2017-10-13_23-56-35.png

Here is one you can see the depth on the matte black stripes. All the work on this car took well over a month to get done.

upload_2017-10-14_0-0-42.png

Mini Update:

The received my RMA RAM replacement from Corsair today. They sent me an identical 3000MHz 128GB kit even though I had asked for them to send me the updated version they have which is on the QVL. The new kit behaves exactly like the one I already had, so basically was a waste of time thinking they would do what they were supposed to. I suppose I could ask ASUS for an RMA for the motherboard, but I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with it. Looks like I will be messing with Corsair RMA again or put this RAM into other systems and roll the dice with GEIL.

On another note, I moved the chiller outside of my office now. Its probably about 40 feet away from my computer now which is rather cool (both literally and figuratively). I also was originally thinking I would split the CPU from the GPU's (cooling wise) and as such, I was testing that idea on an older system I had (I think its a 3930K) with quad Fury X's but I put everything in one loop. I had a quad 140MM radiator with 4 140mm Noctua fans on it and left it run over night with 100% GPU load. That was a bad idea! It overwhelmed the radiator and leaked coolant all over the place (due to the pressure increase from the coolant boiling). What I decided to do now is use the big Koolance Radiator setup on the Quad Fury X's, and just use the chiller for everything on the Threadripper system. I am testing it out right now with the 1950X and a water cooled Pro Duo (both on the chiller) and its working well. I wanted to get an idea for what intervals the chiller will cycle at various heat loads and figured the Pro Duo was be close to the SLI GTX Titan XP's. It definitely runs longer, but is not so bad its running non-stop or anything.

Here is a pic of the Quad Fury X system getting worked on:

upload_2017-10-14_0-21-14.png

And here is a pic with the 1950X, Radeon Vega 64, Radeon 480, and Watercooled Pro Duo:

upload_2017-10-14_0-21-56.png

Last edited:
Another quick update..

I was working late last night (like usual) and all the sudden the Threadripper sysem shut itself off. I tried cycling power on the power supply and while the standby voltage was there, the system wouldnt power on. I would only hear a whine come from the power supply. I took everything out of the system and it still did not power up. I swapped power supplies and voila! I hear beep codes and AURA OLED was displaying codes. Put everything back in and its working perfectly again.

I have been building and working with computers for a L-O-N-G time. I have only had a power supply go bad ONCE (like in 1993) and it was obvious as smoke came out the back, etc.. While I am glad it was the power supply and not the motherboard, CPU, etc., I am a little shocked the Seasonic Prime bit the dust like this. Keep in mind this system is under very high loads 24/7 so it is demanding, but this just goes to show you really are dealing with some serious power requirements when dealing with an overclocked Threadripper system.

Bummer about your Seasonic. I agree that they are some of the best PSUs around, so if you smoked this one, I don't know how long the next one will last. How old was it?

Bummer about your Seasonic. I agree that they are some of the best PSUs around, so if you smoked this one, I don't know how long the next one will last. How old was it?

I bought it brand new at the end of August, so not even two months total. Maybe I just got a dud? It was the 1200W Prime Platinum one so its not like it shoudl have had an issue. And there was no warning leading up to this either. It was working fine one minute then...... dead..... I originally intended to use a 1600W eVGA but the Seasonic is quite a bit smaller and looked nicer in teh case, so I went that route. I already have the RMA filled out, but maybe I should just go with the eVGA instead...

My Seasonic SS-1250XM X-Series went bad on me in a weird way. It worked perfectly fine for 3 years then all of a sudden would just shut off while gaming. It would power back on after unplugging it and plugging it back in, but if I ran a game it would shut down. But sometimes if I waited a day it would work perfectly fine for a week of gaming then all of a sudden have the problem again. I wasn't even sure it was the PSU until i swapped it out and the problem went away for over a month. I wasn't running it even close to full load.

My Seasonic SS-1250XM X-Series went bad on me in a weird way. It worked perfectly fine for 3 years then all of a sudden would just shut off while gaming. It would power back on after unplugging it and plugging it back in, but if I ran a game it would shut down. But sometimes if I waited a day it would work perfectly fine for a week of gaming then all of a sudden have the problem again. I wasn't even sure it was the PSU until i swapped it out and the problem went away for over a month. I wasn't running it even close to full load.

Hmmm... Yeah, that is a bit weird.

Mine has an audible faint buzz when trying to power anything on, but it does supply enough standby voltage and whatnot to make the motherboard LED's come on. There are always outliers and maybe we just got a couple flukes? Hopefully the RMA process goes smooth.

Glad you are getting some enjoyment from it! I am pretty sure I now have a way figured out on how to make the system transitional between entirely stand alone (aka: no external radiators or chillers) and balls to the walls (external chilling and additional cooling). I think its going to be pretty slick! I am going to need to find some screws and crap though and not sure how simple thats going to be. Do any of you guys have a place use use to source mounting screws of various sizes for mounting radiators and the like? I am sure I could go to the hardware store but not sure they are going to have the selection I am going to need.

Absolutely am, can't wait for more. And holy hell, almost 9GB/s... lol. That's moving...

For screws, do you know the pitch/size you'll need? Usually OEM's of the case will have them listed as spare parts with sizing/pitch listed for reference, or purchase directly if they fit your needs. I'd search around for that pitch in longer length if needed. Unfortunately I don't have a specific site I've used, local hardware stores usually come through for me.

Damn !! Memory compatibility seems to be one of the achilles heel of the thread ripper system.
If u populate all 8 slots it seems to be extremely dicey at the moment.

Nice Hellcat u had ! I always loved the old cuda's and challengers.

Enjoying your build out !!

I'm hoping they have that figured out by the time I need to use more than 32 GB. Awesome build!

Wanted to quickly get back to you guys and let you know whats going on..

I RMA'd the Seasonic and they verified it was defective. They are sending me another one, but I dont have it yet so I havent done much screwing around with the system. Having said this, I now also have a second 1950x system I am building but decided to try a XSPC block for the CPU. I just got the block today and have it installed, but havent got it hooked up to water yet.

I should have some time over the weekend and during the week to get some more work done on it.

I'm hoping they have that figured out by the time I need to use more than 32 GB. Awesome build!

The memory issue is odd. I ended up getting a second Zenith Extreme and 1950x and tried both the original and RMA replacement modules in both systems. They behaved identically. Corsair has a slightly different kit available now and I tried to get them to let me swap for that one (its a native 2933 kit) but even though its less money, they wont let me swap and insist the current kit I have should work. Trying to work through the system to get my ticket elevated, but not holding my breath. Not sure if I want to try a 128GB Geil or Gskill kit quite yet; especially when the price is hitting $2K for a memory kit!

Damn !! Memory compatibility seems to be one of the achilles heel of the thread ripper system.
If u populate all 8 slots it seems to be extremely dicey at the moment.

Nice Hellcat u had ! I always loved the old cuda's and challengers.

Enjoying your build out !!

Yeah, you're assessment of the RAM situation is accurate. Hoping they have an update that fixes it as I am not having luck with Corsair.

Yeah, you're assessment of the RAM situation is accurate. Hoping they have an update that fixes it as I am not having luck with Corsair.

Memory prices need to cool it !! I am getting rdy to start buying my thread ripper pieces for my build and its like Argh nearly 450 for 32gigs of 3200 gskill . Every time i go check it seems to gone up a few dollars. Think i
paid 240 for 32 gigs 2 years ago.

I finally received the replacement Seasonic power supply. Bad news is this one too blew up while running Prime at 4025MHz after about 30 mins. Good news is nothing else was taken out. I have the system up and running again on a Corsair 1500W power supply, but I only have one EPS connector, so I cant push the CPU at all.

Looks like there is just no sense in using a 1200W power supply on this sucker; its flat out not enough! I had originally ordered a 1600W eVGA but had to cannibalize it for another project. Looks like I should have stuck with that route! I have one on order from B&H, so shoudl hopefully have it next week as long as Thanksgiving doesnt mess with it too much.

EDIT: I found my second EPS cable for my 1500W Corsair! YES!!! It appears I am back at full strength. Time to get cracking on this sucker again!

Last edited:
I finally received the replacement Seasonic power supply. Bad news is this one too blew up while running Prime at 4025MHz after about 30 mins. Good news is nothing else was taken out. I have the system up and running again on a Corsair 1500W power supply, but I only have one EPS connector, so I cant push the CPU at all.

Looks like there is just no sense in using a 1200W power supply on this sucker; its flat out not enough! I had originally ordered a 1600W eVGA but had to cannibalize it for another project. Looks like I should have stuck with that route! I have one on order from B&H, so shoudl hopefully have it next week as long as Thanksgiving doesnt mess with it too much.

EDIT: I found my second EPS cable for my 1500W Corsair! YES!!! It appears I am back at full strength. Time to get cracking on this sucker again!

Damn that is amazing its putting such a curb stomping on your PS. I would have thought that a 1000watt be enough. Hmm i
forget u are running quad vc cards. Yea i can see where u need 1600 watts !!!

Back