New 177.89 drivers increase Vantage CPU score?

Bloodgod42

Gawd
Im a lil confused...

My 3DVantage score jumped from 7091 to 8259, but the majority of it seemed to be in the cpu score...14,236 to 39514. My gpu score only changed from 5594 to 6536. Could someone please explain to me how this graphic driver has such an effect on my cpu score?

I would have expected the opposite...what gives? Relevance to "real world" testing of Vantage aside. what is causing such a jump in my cpu score from a graphics driver?

Thanks.

The new drivers contain GeForce PhysX capability, the CPU test for physics is now being done on your graphics card.

As for real world, any game that uses the PhysX physics engine to good effect will get a performance boost.

Yes, with the new drivers it's basically as if you installed an additional PPU card.
The second CPU test in 3DMark Vantage is not really a CPU test, but a physics test. It can run the physics on CPU, PPU or GPU.

Ok, whew, I thought my computer was on crack or something! Thats awesome. My CPU score went from 10k to 39k.

Nope, it's real.
If you look at the physics test, you'll probably see that it runs much faster than before.
In my case it also had more planes and objects than before, because I have a dualcore CPU. Quadcore CPUs and PPU/GPU PhysX get more planes, objects and things to maximize the parallel physics processing in the test.

Why the hell are we ranting about Vantage scores? Am one of the few (or many?) backing Kyle's belief that real-time gaming experiences reign supreme over sterile benchmarks?

Go play a game if you have a competent GPU!

Why the hell are we ranting about Vantage scores? Am one of the few (or many?) backing Kyle's belief that real-time gaming experiences reign supreme over sterile benchmarks?

He just wanted to know why his CPU score got so much higher with the new drivers.
I think that's a perfectly normal question if you haven't followed the 'underground' beta drivers and PhysX support and all that.
I don't see anyone making any kind of comparison between benchmarks and real games (he actually put the disclaimer "Relevance to "real world" testing of Vantage aside" in the opening post), so indeed, why are you ranting?

I'm tiring of seeing a comparison with every new driver version out there. Maybe major version comparison 175.xx vs. 177.xx would be way better than say 177.83 vs. 177.89. It just gets to be a constant headache when reviewing threads on any of the latest drivers.

I apologize to the OP due to his disclaimer. It would be nice to see people talking about their experiences with games more often...

There's a validity to a lot of the swashbuckling going on but I'll take it lighter when I see something as such again.

I'm tiring of seeing a comparison with every new driver version out there. Maybe major version comparison 175.xx vs. 177.xx would be way better than say 177.83 vs. 177.89. It just gets to be a constant headache when reviewing threads on any of the latest drivers.

I apologize to the OP due to his disclaimer. It would be nice to see people talking about their experiences with games more often...

Im tired of people like you bitching about stuff like this. Many people feel satisfaction when they build computers and crush scores on 3DMark and other programs, its also kinda fun seeing how tweaking certain things makes stuff faster, how new parts affect scores, how new DRIVERS affect scores, and anything else. Its just a damn hobby, dont bitch people out because they dont do it the way you do. I love to benchmark, but I also love playing games. ALTHOUGH, when im playing a game, im not watching my FPS and creating scores for myself, im enjoying and focusing on the game. Thus why people benchmark!

Thanks for showing me how much I do love building a system to play a game at higher settings with smoother quality. Flaunting around numbers doesn't mean jack to me & acting like they do, just means you're fueling your own ego. Sure, I may check the FPS every once in a while to make sure that I'm doing well but overall, the more games I can play without worrying if my PC will slow down at the Ultra quality setting, all the better. :D

I'm done bitching. Have at your mathematically controlled warfare & go attack that last person's HIGHER number with zeal. :p

How was that trolling? That was a valid response. My time here shouldn't equate how popular or "gawd-like" anyone should be. I signed up with a purpose on that day & I'm glad I'm a part of [H].

Why don't you be constructive & reply back with an on-topic, un-trollerific response?

If you don't care about 3DMark scores why enter a thread discussing them? I don't find 3D Mark of any deep value, but I do find it useful as a validation that things are "just right" when I make major changes, and if I feel a driver is a little wonky sometimes a sudden dip in 3D Mark scores drives the point home.

Thanks everyone for all your input and info. Learning about the PhysX capability it has makes it all make more sense. ;)

As far as the rest of the thread went...alot of you said it all already...I am a gamer and a bencher. As the majority of us [H]ard folk do, I custom built my system, and yeah, I do get enjoyment from seeing the performance increases.

How was that trolling? That was a valid response. My time here shouldn't equate how popular or "gawd-like" anyone should be. I signed up with a purpose on that day & I'm glad I'm a part of [H].

Why don't you be constructive & reply back with an on-topic, un-trollerific response?

CrimsonKnight13: Trolling and ignorant responses such as the one above, will get you no where around here...you might want to find another place too, um "serve your purpose".

i'm feelin' a little excited about this, does it benefit real gaming experience?

CrimsonKnight13: Trolling and ignorant responses such as the one above, will get you no where around here...you might want to find another place too, um "serve your purpose".

I'll take a different approach but it sure as hell wasn't ignorant.

Time will tell I hope. If it does I'll hook up with nVidia in the future and move my 8800GT to PPU~GPU or w/e we need to call it.

ouch..so still no prove to it yet. still, i'll join you in your hope.

Currently it benefits the gaming experience slightly in GRAW1/2, because of more detailed explosions and such, but that's about it.

It's the same story as with the original Ageia PPU card. The technology is there, but games don't take advantage of it yet. nVidia is doing a lot to push PhysX though. They've signed on a number of developers that will use it in their upcoming games, and Ageia already managed to get Unreal Engine 3 to support it, which is one of the most popular game engines anyway.

So I suppose before the end of the year, we'll see the first few PhysX titles trickling in, and hopefully more and more will follow.

So I suppose before the end of the year, we'll see the first few PhysX titles trickling in, and hopefully more and more will follow.

is there any rts/rpg title? i'm not much into fps such as GRAW.

Here's a site with a big list of games using PhysX:
http://physx.cwx.ru/

It shows released games and games in development, and whether or not they can use PPU/GPU acceleration.
I don't know all these games, but perhaps you'll find what you're looking for.

Here's a site with a big list of games using PhysX:
http://physx.cwx.ru/

It shows released games and games in development, and whether or not they can use PPU/GPU acceleration.
I don't know all these games, but perhaps you'll find what you're looking for.

thanks, too bad there's no further explanation other than the titles, hopefully some of these titles are RTS/RPG.

Keep in mind that the .89 drivers are meant to be developer drivers and mainly focus on adding experimental OpenGL 3.x support. They actually cause slowdowns in a lot of games because they've got a lot of dev code in them getting in the way.

People would be better off using 177.83 along with the latest PhysX drivers.

Back