New 15" MBP - LED Display = Ouch

Opie

Gawd
So I recently took delivery of my second MBP 15” this week. It’s my second because the first (a non-glare/matte display version) left me feeling like an icepick was being inserted into my eyeballs after 5 minutes of use.

As context I work using 3 CCFL LCDs (1 PC and 1 Mac) day-in and day-out, game on a 21” CRT, and do my TV watching on a 50” plasma. I have never experienced a hint of a headache or nausea prior to using the LED-backlit MBP.

Before initiating the RMA on the notebook I calibrated the display (primarily reducing brightness and contrast while trying to maintain some semblance of correct color per some tips I found around the net) and turned off the variable dimmer. Over the span of a week the pain seemed to subside but presented just enough to push me to RMA. The Apple people were nice enough to waive the restocking fee because of the problem I described.

Having enjoyed the experience (sans the pain, of course) of the machine itself, and after speaking to a friend employed at Apple HQ who ran the problem past the display team, I went ahead an ordered another hoping that the problem was a hardware fault. I now have about 6 hours of use on my new gloss-screen version and the pain is still there.

I know I am not alone in this based on what I have read in just about every Apple forum out there, but I am interested to learn if anyone here experienced this eyestrain issue and might have some tips to combat the problem.

This is a new one on me. I'm really at a loss as to why LED backlighting would cause excessive eyestrain while CCFL does not. Makes no sense to me. That's not to say I disbelieve you are having a problem, just that I don't understand the differing effects you experience between them. Sorry I can't help, but I'm kinda interested in hearing if anyone has the "why" answer...

I've never had the slightest eyestrain or headache problem with any of my MacBook Pros (matte or glossy) or any LCD. I'm surprised your CRT doesn't cause these problems.

Very odd. I look at my screen for at least 6+ hours a day and haven't had any of the symptoms you describe. The link above said that turning your brightness all the way up helped someone, maybe try that?

I personally get eye strain from glossy screens (but not from matte), that might be the problem as well.

Thanks for all of the replies!

- the CRT runs at an 85hz refresh and after competing in CAL BF42 and BF2 for damn near 4 years I never once had an issue.
- I'll look into the refresh rate suggestion.
- I'm finding that the glossy display bothers me far less than the matte version did.
- The highest brightness setting on this thing is like a spotlight. The upside is that the setting supposedly keeps the LEDs on all the time. The downside is the sunburn I'd get in the course of regular use.

Interestingly I used the laptop last night under regular circumstances for about 2 hours and didn't experience any pain. I wonder if perhaps my eyes/brain are adapting, but then I end up concerned over adapting being a good thing. Maybe that tumor I didn't know about is afraid of bright lights.....

I just read the link to that Apple support forum posting, and I found it very interesting. Like the author of that post, I too perceive LED flicker from the LED tail lamps in new cars and the "rainbow effect" on DLP displays.

However, I almost never run my MBP at anything but full light intensity (if you think the LED screen is bright, you should see the overhead lighting in my office...:eek:), and when I do there is almost always a competing refreshing light source that minimizes any LED flicker from my MBP so I've never noticed it. Thank goodness too - I live every day glued to my MBP.

It sucks that you're having a problem with this Opie. Thinking outside the box for a moment, you can buy vinyl cut-to-fit window tinting at places like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. This is the stuff that clings to the viewing surface without soapy water or adhesives. It should stick quite well to the glossy screen, and can be removed and reapplied multiple times without leaving any kind of residue. Maybe try a sheet of that with the LEDs on full brightness?

Sounds kinda far fetched but maybe its a genetic differentiation in some people's eyes, similar to how some people can roll there tongue and others can't.

Back