New 1440p 27" IPS 120hz (Not Yamasaki or 120hz.net)

cj3waker

2[H]4U
Heres the link

So a few months ago I stumbled into a mfg that listed a 120hz 1440p monitor like the catleaps. I emailed the company and unfortunately found out that the spec was a misprint. During our correspondence the product manager told me they had something in the works though. Earlier this week I received this email

edit: mfger asked me to remove some of the info, contact me for details

Last edited:
good luck... hope you don't get scammed...
I'm surprised the chinese company could come out with something new. Based on my experience, they only know how to copy exactly what people have done...

It's not new, the Korean monitors did it first...

Looks interesting anyway, I wonder if LG will pull their finger out and do something official with the next revision of their IPS panels.

I think Overlord is getting their monitors from China.. could be the same manufacturers trying to make a buck themselves.

Alibaba is a Chinese site that is a conglomeration of manufactures that try to sell their wares worldwide. They have everything from nuts and bolts to heavy machinery. As I understand it theft is not well tolerated when it come to commerce.(unless you happen to be the one that gets scammed). In general Alibaba is a reputable site to be on the site you have to have an onsite inspection initially and periodically thereafter. While it is much better than dealing with a small individual organization it does not guarantee ISSUES will not occur, but it does cut down the probability.

Pretty much all of the manufacturing is done in China. It may be assembled there or elsewhere but they are supplying the parts. That is what I do not understand about what we call these "so called" Korean Monitors. Look on the back and see where it is assembled.

Looking at the electronics, these are a far cry from what Overlord is offering. There are a lot more connectivity options. Looks like they are even offering component input.

Lets face it these companies are catering to the lowest common denominator, that is where the $$$ is made. How many people really want 120Hz IPS monitors or even know what they are? Major companies seldom cater to niche markets, That is why we do not have true 120HZ televisions.

Maybe someone can jump on that now and deliver a 46"-55" true 120HZ TV that you can do S3D on.

Previously all the so-called 120Hz multi-input displays have dropped frames when you overclock them, so you should be careful that this is not the case with this one as well.

I'm reasonably sure this company is the OEM for Overlord Computer (just looking at the casing, plus a few other things). I don't think that this is the same monitor as any from overlord, just the same makers.

However, with respect to the "true 120Hz" that looks an awful lot like a TV controller, not a Monitor controller. I'd be very interested to see testing, but I'm highly skeptical right now. And of course, minimum order is 20 units so...

I suppose in that email quoted, a "sample" order of 10 was mentioned, which is more reasonable, but really they need a sample order of 1-2.

Actually, now I'm getting excited about it... :(

OP Please Deliver!

1440 @ 120Hz + DP is a definite want. (and I've got an OC Overlord on pre-order right now)

so how much is overlord making per ? $100

if this is right and based on this thread they better enjoy their profit , soon a new guy will cut into their market

$100 is a lot to make, even $25 is good (10% profit is tempting for a lot of ppl)

if this is right and based on this thread they better enjoy their profit , soon a new guy will cut into their market

$100 is a lot to make, even $25 is good (10% profit is tempting for a lot of ppl)

Based on the work they are claming to put in with an inspection of each monitor they get, I think they're earning their markup and offering a warranty that will be easily workable for U.S. buyers.

While I can see another seller undercutting them on price eventually, if they live up to their word on service and quality of the product, I think they can make it work and build a solid rep.

This is horribly, horribly wrong lol.

First, Overlord has to ship the monitor to themselves. The email quotes $138 US for that. Obviously that isn't what overlord pays but I'm sure they pay a good amount.

Second, Overlord says they hand-checks every panel. That isn't cheap. Then there is a website, any applicable taxes/fees/duties, etc. There is *no* way they turn $100 profit per. I'd say it is over $10, but less than $50. Just guessing though.

Based on the work they are claming to put in with an inspection of each monitor they get, I think they're earning their markup and offering a warranty that will be easily workable for U.S. buyers.

While I can see another seller undercutting them on price eventually, if they live up to their word on service and quality of the product, I think they can make it work and build a solid rep.

I'll find any day someone willing to turn monitors on and off for $7 an hour while charging extra $25 per inspected monitor...not bashing overlord just saying this is better for us the consumer
And btw do you think overlord eats the loss on dead pixels/ or dead monitors? no man, the chinese supplier offers a warranty as well

I'll find any day someone willing to turn monitors on and off for $7 an hour while charging extra $25 per inspected monitor...not bashing overlord just saying this is better for us the consumer
And btw do you think overlord eats the loss on dead pixels/ or dead monitors? no man, the chinese supplier offers a warranty as well

Lol. Nope, the bad ones they just sell as non pixel-perfect. The chinese supplier doesn't offer any pixel-related warranty.

Let them make some profit man omg, what is everybody's issue with trying to figure out ow much money overlord or someone else is making. That is their problem. I can't buy 10 or 20 of these monitors. I only want one and I want someone that I can talk to, who operates out of the USA to sell it to me and figure out shipping and make sure the panel I get is the panel I need/want by checking it. Overlord says he will sell me one with the above requirements for $439 pixelperfect, well I give him my money. I don't worry about trying to save $25-$80 on the monitor by buying direct from china or korea in batches of 10-100.

yeah, no shit. i've been following scribby and his efforts since about February of this year. without his constant work with companies trying to get these made after the 2bs ran out, we would not have any of these at all. some of you people have no idea how many hundreds of hours these guys have put into getting these parts, or sourcing parts, getting designs made, sending samples to china, finding the right cables and connectors etc etc.

If anyone is interested in picking up some samples let me know and ill give put you in contact with the project manager. Im not actually going to guinea pig it. Ill probably spring for a sleeker and more proven model like the ones on 120hz.net. Just wanted to share the info

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in picking up some samples for the 270+shipping price let me know and ill give put you in contact with the project manager. Im not actually going to guinea pig it. Ill probably spring for a sleeker and more proven model like the ones on 120hz.net. Just wanted to share the info

Hmmm, I might want to be a guinea pig...

Yeah, I'd guinea pig it except for the fact that I'm already space constrained with my monitors as is. Oh yeah, and I already have a 120Hz catleap.

There are a lot of costs aside from cost of materials. A $100 dollar markup isn't much on something like this. I used to think so... then I got into business myself, and wow there's a lot that goes on behind the cost of materials and price of product, and why that 50% markup on cost isn't all profit.

Some perspective... restaurants. Of the cost of a meal, maybe 33% of that is food cost. They certainly aren't making 200% profit on their investment though. Labour, rent, utilities, taxes, equipment, decor, maintenance, interest...

This is kinda a necro here, but did anything ever come of this monitor? Anybody get one to try?

The link in the OP no longer seems to mention 120Hz, so I think this died before ever being real...

A bummer.

Back