New 12" iBook (class) coming out soon?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,

My friend is dying to get an iBook, she loves the size (would prefer it like a Powerbook but can't afford), loves the colour too. However, Apple is moving towards Intel and I don't doubt that they will release a new iBook-class laptop soon.

The question is, is it worth the wait? She can wait until May, or August latest (but preferably May).

How is the CURRENT iBook? Is it worth the $1300CDN? Will an Intel-based system be far superior? I've heard that the main problems with the G5 is the heat, and battery life. Does the iBook have this issue (I know it's only a G4)?

She doesn't do much processor intensive, only email and office-type work. MAYBE CAD (is there an Apple equiv?)

Thanks!

Definately don't buy a current gen iBook, they are dogs compared to what else you can get at the price.

A lot of people are predicting the accouncement of the Intel iBooks (or whatever they end up being called) during Apple's April 1st press conference.

NulloModo said:
Definately don't buy a current gen iBook, they are dogs compared to what else you can get at the price.

A lot of people are predicting the accouncement of the Intel iBooks (or whatever they end up being called) during Apple's April 1st press conference.
Just like they were when Jobs got on stage and proudly announced the $99 leather iPod case ;)

Let's hope they really do this time.

Wait, she'll be happy she did. the new ibooks are bound to have the new intel core duo/solo chips which are much much more powerful than the 1.33ghz g4. It is going to be the same price as the current ibook too, maybe a trivial amount like $100 more to start out at most.

Alrighty. Thanks for the replies. HURRY UP MISTER JOBS! I wanna pick up one of these too... but I'm currently happy with my X31 :D

My guess it'll either be April 1st or sometime in June when they release something iBook style. They'll probably come up with other sizes of the MacBook Pro too.

But like anythine Apple, only time will tell.

Cowcaster88 said:
My guess it'll either be April 1st or sometime in June when they release something iBook style. They'll probably come up with other sizes of the MacBook Pro too.

But like anythine Apple, only time will tell.
April 1st is a Saturday.

That'll be weird if they do announce something.

fibroptikl said:
April 1st is a Saturday.

That'll be weird if they do announce something.

It's rumored that they'll do it the week before or the week after (at this point, my guess would be after) the 1st.

I don't doubt that Apple will release products on their 30th anniversary (it's too easy of an anniversary to celebrate considering it's the oldest running consumer computer manufacturer to my knowledge), it's just a question of how they will do it.

But I doubt they will release a new (true) video iPod or iBook without a lot of press hooplah, fanfare, and even perhaps fireworks and a civil war reenactment.

Back