New 1080 Ti Rumor

I really wish I had the dough for a 1080 (even a 1070..) and I totally get that a miniscule upgrade is worth it for some people (it's their hobby, job etc) but what percent increase would the "ti" give you over the base 1080?

I just can't remember seeing this much anticipation and excitement over what would be arguably a small increase. If you are putting that much money into a card, why wouldn't you just get the Titan?

I do hope it comes out though, as it's good for the industry.

The 1080 to Titan is like 40% for double the price. The Ti would have to be somewhere in the middle there so we're talking 20% more perf for 50% higher premium. I dunno why ppl are waiting for it, it's gonna be terrible value just as with the Titan. The truth of the matter is that ppl hope to get a Titan for less after they overclock the Ti.

The 1080 was a run-away deal, only 180w and faster than previous Titan. I can't imaging throwing down for 250w Titan XP / 1080Ti for $1200 / $TBD. It's just not worth it at this point. Even if the 1080Ti was $599, I don't want any more 250w video cards. Maybe I got lazy I dunno.

The 1080 to Titan is like 40% for double the price. The Ti would have to be somewhere in the middle there so we're talking 20% more perf for 50% higher premium. I dunno why ppl are waiting for it, it's gonna be terrible value just as with the Titan. The truth of the matter is that ppl hope to get a Titan for less after they overclock the Ti.
Lol it is not going to be right in the middle. It will likely have 128 or 256 less cores but slightly higher clocks. It will end up just a hair below the Titan X if the past is anything to go on.

The 1080 was a run-away deal, only 180w and faster than previous Titan. I can't imaging throwing down for 250w Titan XP / 1080Ti for $1200 / $TBD. It's just not worth it at this point. Even if the 1080Ti was $599, I don't want any more 250w video cards. Maybe I got lazy I dunno.
$700 bucks was a run away deal? It was the worst priced mid range die gpu they have ever released. It was only 25% faster than the 980 Ti which was $50 less at launch and had way more overclocking headroom.

Last edited:
Lol it is not going to be right in the middle. It will likely have 128 or 256 less cores but slightly higher clocks. It will end up just a hair below the Titan X if the past is anything to go on.

"somewhere in the middle" /= "right in the middle" Reading comprehension -1.

$700 bucks was a run away deal? It was the worst priced mid range die gpu they have ever released. It was only 25% faster than the 980 Ti which was $50 less at launch and had way more overclocking headroom.
Eh I enjoy the shit out of my 1080 Strix OC. Burns though all my games with aplomb.
It was pricey because AMD had nothing to rebuke with.
Thats why Nvidia was gouging like crazy with the damn things.

I anticipate the 1080ti, primarily for downward price motion on the existing lineup. I have almost gotten all the life I can out of my current card and I want to upgrade, but I want to see prices about 10-20% lower before I do. A 1080Ti drop (and/or a strong showing from Vega) might be just the thing to bring that about.

Use some common sense and pay attention to the context. The vram is not doubled up like on the last Titan cards. If and when a 1080 Ti comes out it will almost certainly be 12 GB or at worst 10 GB. Of course you already know that but just want to stir up crap.

That said, if 1080Ti really doesn't launch until March or April, then 8-9 months of 4K60+ performance for a $400 premium aint so bad for the people who have the money to drop. These are the same folks who probably would've spent $1400 anyway on SLI 1080 if SLI were actually working.

I think we get it, you dont like expensive cards. And you dont like people buying them despite they love the performance and quality behind.

You never buy anything expensive and high quality do you? Living in a tiny home? Driving a compact car? Using a small TV? Only eating discount segment food?

See? :oops:

1200$ is not a lot of money in this world. However where you spend it is another matter. But dont call people fools just because they got different priorities.

Exactly. People who call you a fool for spending that much, don't have your income. They also expect you to think like they do. It shouldn't be like that, but unfortunately is.

When we bought the woman's suv the option for the entertainment/dvd/navigation system was $5k. I said F that to the man, and installed by myself a full pioneer nav setup with second row display, etc for $1.5K. Course, I had to tear apart the console and fab up bondo a new fascia and dismantle their chained components but it was worth it. The way the Subaru Tribeca console was design forces 99.9% of buyers into paying for the option. I couldn't stomach using DVD's for navigation maps lol.

OEM Nav these days is mostly HDD. As much as I like certain extras that an aftermarket deck offers, the integrated system is much better IMO as everything from the steering wheel to the nav works in perfect sync. Yes you can get it close, but its not the same. However, this falls into the same thinking as the "Titan owners are idiots" scenario.

Yeah if you are going to get a Titan X then at least get it a launch so you can get the most out of it. For most people it was just not worth it but that is true even for the 1080 to the majority even on here. It feels good to have the fastest card you can get but its a kick in the gooch when something faster and cheaper comes out much earlier than expected.

99% of the people who bought/buy the Titan X have the money to and will upgrade to the next best thing when it comes out.

OEM Nav these days is mostly HDD. As much as I like certain extras that an aftermarket deck offers, the integrated system is much better IMO as everything from the steering wheel to the nav works in perfect sync. Yes you can get it close, but its not the same. However, this falls into the same thinking as the "Titan owners are idiots" scenario.

Hmm, I dunno about all being hdd as our 2011 is dvd based. And my Pio unit doesn't use hhd's, the map is part of the bios/firmware and is written to the unit. I updated it to 2016 a couple months back. There is no way the stock nav unit is better than aftermarket, especially when it comes to outputs. Steering wheel control is easy to add, grab a pac or metra, done. It's only recently where oem's have caught up to aftermarket integration but again the kicker is the exorbitant cost. Nevermind the legal limitations that are hard to bypass. And I quite enjoy having multiple sources playing to different outputs, like outputting a dvd or avi to the rear display, have the kids use wireless headphones, while I listen to the radio or mp3. And no, I'm not stating any opinions over Titan owners. Only the loudmouth above is getting personal over that.

99% of the people who bought/buy the Titan X have the money to and will upgrade to the next best thing when it comes out.
Yes of course but I said faster and cheaper so I was not referring to the next "best thing". Most Titan owners wait for the next Titan but in between that time much cheaper cards that can match or beat it come out. That is why I am saying if you get a Titan at launch at least you can be sure to have the fastest card out there for quite a while. Waiting around for months after launch does not make sense as the Titan will remain at the same price while we get closer to the next gen, refreshes or competition catching up.

Hmm, I dunno about all being hdd as our 2011 is dvd based. And my Pio unit doesn't use hhd's, the map is part of the bios/firmware and is written to the unit. I updated it to 2016 a couple months back. There is no way the stock nav unit is better than aftermarket, especially when it comes to outputs. Steering wheel control is easy to add, grab a pac or metra, done. It's only recently where oem's have caught up to aftermarket integration but again the kicker is the exorbitant cost. Nevermind the legal limitations that are hard to bypass. And I quite enjoy having multiple sources playing to different outputs, like outputting a dvd or avi to the rear display, have the kids use wireless headphones, while I listen to the radio or mp3. And no, I'm not stating any opinions over Titan owners. Only the loudmouth above is getting personal over that.

I said mostly these days, being new vehicles. My old 2011 MDX could run different sources to the back and front, wireless headphones. I agree it costs more, but better is subjective to the vehicle. My NAV is satellite connected to the weather and will adjust in cabin temp according to where I am(this would only apply on a roadtrip). This is in reply to aftermarket having more features.

Back on to the topic at hand!

Yes of course but I said faster and cheaper so I was not referring to the next "best thing". Most Titan owners wait for the next Titan but in between that time much cheaper cards that can match or beat it come out. That is why I am saying if you get a Titan at launch at least you can be sure to have the fastest card out there for quite a while. Waiting around for months after launch does not make sense as the Titan will remain at the same price while we get closer to the next gen, refreshes or competition catching up.
The beauty of owning a Titan. I lost $300 on the sale of my old Titan from original purchase to refresh of the Pascal version.

I never understood why every generation of GPU we had people attempting to justify their purchases to an audience.
Because there are people who come out and cry about the price of things they are never going to buy anyway. Don't want a $1200 GPU? Cool. Don't buy one. I just upgraded my brother's PC for Xmas and stuck an RX480 in there because that's all he needs. I understand that for many people it's a needless waste of money. That said, I don't come on the forums and shit talk people who have $200 video cards, so I don't know why the reverse seems to be acceptable.

Really, it doesn't bother me that much, but since you asked, it's a common theme every time a new halo card is released.

So there is a 1080 Ti or not? I have been wishing for no 1080 Ti since July I think when I bought my 1080s in SLi. :D.
I think Volta will be out by July so there is no need for a 1080 Ti part. It will just be called a 1170 or some such.

I never understood why every generation of GPU we had people attempting to justify their purchases to an audience.

It has nothing to do with GPUs. Some people are more seeking of validation and recognition than others.

And really you wanting recognition of your opinion that it isn't worth the money is not difference in this respect than them wanting recognition it was worth the money.

There is nothing "Titan" about that card to me. It has the same amount of vram a 1080 Ti would have and it is not even a fully enabled gpu. And that cooler would not cut it for me and I will be damned if I am paying 1200 bucks for a card to install another cooler on it. I can only stomach getting ripped of so much and 1200 bucks for what used to be a x70 level card like the $350 570 is just too much for me to justify.

Nonsense.

This Titan is probably the best one to date, because it released soon after the 1080 did and it is almost as good as an SLI of the latter.

The cooler is exactly the same the other titans had, so no idea wtf are you whining about.

And no, this isn't a x70 level card. Are you drunk or something? How the heck are you comparing a Titan that is x2 last Titan and you talk some bullshit about x70 level card? What the heck?

Nonsense.

This Titan is probably the best one to date, because it released soon after the 1080 did and it is almost as good as an SLI of the latter.

The cooler is exactly the same the other titans had, so no idea wtf are you whining about.

And no, this isn't a x70 level card. Are you drunk or something? How the heck are you comparing a Titan that is x2 last Titan and you talk some bullshit about x70 level card? What the heck?
He is talking about back when the , think it was, x70 were big dies just as the Titan is. It was the original complaint against the original Titan. Of course the defense was it had compute, however that is no longer true...

He is talking about back when the , think it was, x70 were big dies just as the Titan is. It was the original complaint against the original Titan. Of course the defense was it had compute, however that is no longer true...

Who gives a shit about die size? Do people want performance or big stuff just because?

I couldn't care less if the Titan XP had a 100mm^2 whilst performing as it does today. So what? You get a performance boost if the die is bigger? Your e-penis grows?

The only thing that matters is frigging performance. Not die size, or bus width or any other nonsense. Performance. And this Titan is probably the best one we ever had. First time a Titan destroys the x80 so handily, and this x80 is probably one of the best ever because it trounces the highest performing card of last gen.

Again, how the hell you call this Titan anything than a real monster?

Who gives a shit about die size? Do people want performance or big stuff just because?

I couldn't care less if the Titan XP had a 100mm^2 whilst performing as it does today. So what? You get a performance boost if the die is bigger? Your e-penis grows?

The only thing that matters is frigging performance. Not die size, or bus width or any other nonsense. Performance. And this Titan is probably the best one we ever had. First time a Titan destroys the x80 so handily, and this x80 is probably one of the best ever because it trounces the highest performing card of last gen.

Me! Me! I care.

I cared for Titan XP because if I could have gotten max die size with HBM2 right off the bat on the new node the gains afterwards until the next node jump would have been incremental. I think they would have slowed way down in % wise. So a decent chance of not having to buy another card and enjoy top (or near top) performance for a long time.

It's still a monster.

Why does power draw matter so much? The cost of running a 250W card for 24 hours would be under £1 on my current energy tarrif.

I don't even look at the power draw of a card when making a buying decision. I just want the fastest card I can get for my budget.

/confused.

It has nothing to do with GPUs. Some people are more seeking of validation and recognition than others.

And really you wanting recognition of your opinion that it isn't worth the money is not difference in this respect than them wanting recognition it was worth the money.
At what point did I say its not worth the money?
Tell me where in my quote I said any thing was not worth the money? I really do not know what you were reading when you made that post.

No, I am serious.

GK104 - 2012
GK110 Titan - 2013

GM104 - 2014
GM100 Titan X - 2015

GP104 - 2016
GP102 Titan - 2016

My point is, this 1080ti is right on time if you go by history.

Yup, that's why when the TitanXP popped so bizarrely early last year I got one immediately, knowing the ti won't show for ages. :cool: It was obvious then and still is for the same reason: Zero competition!

At what point did I say its not worth the money?
Tell me where in my quote I said any thing was not worth the money? I really do not know what you were reading when you made that post.

Might've gotten you and NKD mixed together.

No, I am serious.

GK104 - 2012
GK110 Titan - 2013

GM104 - 2014
GM100 Titan X - 2015

GP104 - 2016
GP102 Titan - 2016

My point is, this 1080ti is right on time if you go by history.

Yeah.
Worth noting Nvidia slightly reversed product release because they needed the P100 out on its 610mm2 die 1st, normally this is a bad idea due to the additional costs and technical risks incurred but then the P100 is the precurser to the V100 that is contractually obligated this year for several super scale projects and so they needed to have the P100 as a technical milestone.
I think this is one reason Titan released earlier than normal, along with it being a cut core GP102 where before it was full core.
Cheers

The primary issue for some (I appreciate not all) is that Titan has always been a full core GPU, this time as Pascal it is a reduced core GP102 while the Quadro P6000 and P40 are the full core GP102s.
So in theory what they have done is made the Pascal Titan a cut model just like the 980ti in context of Cuda core strategy, but without any custom AIBs.
Makes me wonder what they will do about the 1080ti because Nvidia has lost a little leeway now.
Cheers

Eh I enjoy the shit out of my 1080 Strix OC. Burns though all my games with aplomb.
It was pricey because AMD had nothing to rebuke with.
Thats why Nvidia was gouging like crazy with the damn things.

Sometimes you guys make me really wondering what im missing. My 2nd hand $200 290x "burns through all my games with aplomb" as well, and it does this while hashing zcash and maintaining 90fps at 1080p on high settings.

Sometimes you guys make me really wondering what im missing. My 2nd hand $200 290x "burns through all my games with aplomb" as well, and it does this while hashing zcash and maintaining 90fps at 1080p on high settings.
Well that's interesting because I'm running 1920x1200 with my 980 Ti and I'm looking to upgrade to the 1080 Ti or Vega.

In my experience, from 2x 290X's to 1x 1080 at 1440P in witcher 3 went from 60fps at med/high settings to 75fps on maxed settings. I guess everyone's definition of "burning through games with aplomb" is a little different... and people who want these GPU's probably don't play at 1080p or give a crap about the latest flavor of useless cryptocoin.

To put my comments into proper context.... In November, 2014, I picked up a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 G1 GAMING OC to put into my brand new system. It replaced a Palit GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum Overclocking Edition 1GB card that I had purchased in August, 2010, and that I was using temporarily while waiting for the 980s to come into stock.

When the 1080s became available last year, I took a look at the specs, and said "not at all interested at this time." Why? The limiting factor at that point was the Acer H6 H276HLbmid Black 27" 5ms HDMI IPS monitor which had 1920x1080 resolution, but was stuck at 60fps. Most of the older games were already hitting 60fps, so what was the point of upgrading if there was going to be no performance improvement for me? I upgraded my monitor this past Christmas to a ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27" 2560 x 1440(2K) 165Hz IPS G-Sync Gaming Monitor, and am loving it at 90fps. But, at this point, I'll wait for the nVidia 1180 card when it comes out in a year or so.

BTW: I don't believe in SLI. Based upon other user's experiences, it sounds like a recipe for headaches.

There is nothing "Titan" about that card to me. It has the same amount of vram a 1080 Ti would have and it is not even a fully enabled gpu. And that cooler would not cut it for me and I will be damned if I am paying 1200 bucks for a card to install another cooler on it. I can only stomach getting ripped of so much and 1200 bucks for what used to be a x70 level card like the $350 570 is just too much for me to justify.

Agreed. Before Pascal, those specs would have been on a Ti card

In my experience, from 2x 290X's to 1x 1080 at 1440P in witcher 3 went from 60fps at med/high settings to 75fps on maxed settings. I guess everyone's definition of "burning through games with aplomb" is a little different... and people who want these GPU's probably don't play at 1080p or give a crap about the latest flavor of useless cryptocoin.

yeah, i do not currently play any single player games. Holding out for this new mechwarrior 5 though. While i have a bazillion video cards, i have never successfully seen crossfire work. One game i had that would benefit did not support it

People that buy a Titian card are not looking at price to performance plain and simple. They have the money to buy it and they want the fast single card currently. I personally wouldn't because 2x the cost for 30% performance doesn't make sense to me, but its not my money so it does not make a difference what other people spend it on.

I still stand by my comment that the majority of Titan purchaser's are not worrying about price, they want performance. The Titan series has not and is not a "gaming" card, it is geared toward professional use like deep learning and compute.

If I were gaming at 1080p I would have stuck with my 390X as well. It was a great card that could "burn through all my games with aplomb" as well, but when the 4K monitor came in things didn't work out so well.

I still stand by my comment that the majority of Titan purchaser's are not worrying about price, they want performance. The Titan series has not and is not a "gaming" card, it is geared toward professional use like deep learning and compute.
On a small scale its a professional card, but most large companies use true professional grade Tesla or Quadro cards for work. I feel the Titan is definitely more a gaming card in terms of why its purchased.

On a small scale its a professional card, but most large companies use true professional grade Tesla or Quadro cards for work. I feel the Titan is definitely more a gaming card in terms of why its purchased.

The "professional" context of this card is basically a red herring and always has been. We know it, Nvidia knows it, but they keep up the charade because it makes it easier to justify the price tag. Its basically a protectionist move to extort people who will spend the money to get the best single GPU performance for gaming while ensuring that they can continue to charge even more exorbitant sums for the REAL pro cards (Tesla/Quadro like you said). Its the same reason Intel brings out the K chips, and why the top end lga2011 CPU costs 1800$... so that it doesn't look like a crazy value vs the $2500+ Xeon.

Titan is for people who want the best and are willing to pay for it, but the margins on pro products are clearly too high for NV to justify trading them for volume by pricing those chips to be more accessible to gamers

Back