New 1080 Ti Rumor

It will be close but not beat it.

Titan is supposed to be the Top card. Best of the best.

Logically, they can't release something better and sell it cheaper. I kind of makes no sense.

If it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised, early adopter tax applies to all kinds of goods, just ask anyone that was dumb enough to buy a 6th gen Camaro when they first came out. Whether the 1080Ti is faster, than Titan is yet to be seen.

Take a look at Titan replacement schedules and see if it fits... I think they will come close but have less VRAM and cuda with the Ti, but should make Vega and Ti competitive.

Logically, they can't release something better and sell it cheaper. I kind of makes no sense.
They did it before with the 780 Ti so it really depends on the competition.

Vega would have to be a serious dud to be slower than 1080. It would have to be less than 25% faster than Fury X for that to be true, going by TPU's performance charts
https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/images/perfrel_3840_2160.png

Looking at previous AMD generational jumps, compared to their own GPUs only, they have been around 25-30% faster. So that fits right in line of Vega either trading blows or slightly faster than 1080.

I think Vega will force a price drop on the 1080, if AMD prices it reasonably. That'll should leave a big gap for the 1080 Ti to be priced into.

If Vega is a lot faster than 1080 (not expecting it), then I could see Nvidia taking the Titan XP and branding it as a Ti card, and release a new Titan with full GP102. That's similar to what they did with the 780 Ti and Titan Black, although 780 Ti was the same as the Titan Black in gaming performance also.

These new Pascal vbios have to be signed so the odds of custom vbios are very slim.
There are BIOS available for both the top Asus Strix 1080 and the Galax HoF 1080.
The Asus started with a crude one but the more recent iteration is a lot better, and these BIOS do not do much on anything else apart from possibly minor benefit at expense of power or a really bad idea (personally I would not use them on any other card).
What is interesting is that they have not done this for their top 1070 models.
If they also create a 1080ti, they may do the same for that as it would be their new flagship cards.
Cheers

Last edited:

So how do you explain the titan black edition?

<snip>

If Vega is a lot faster than 1080 (not expecting it), then I could see Nvidia taking the Titan XP and branding it as a Ti card, and release a new Titan with full GP102. That's similar to what they did with the 780 Ti and Titan Black, although 780 Ti was the same as the Titan Black in gaming performance also.

Pretty much exactly what's already been said in this thread. (See my post #134)

Nvidia did somewhat of an odd move by cutting the gp102 and releasing it as a Titan card. Would have made more sense to have kept the memory the same and release the Titan XP as the 1080Ti instead back in Aug for around $799 and now roll out an uncut gp102 with more memory as a true Titan for $1200... they did it ass backwards though for some reason... most likely to make more $.

Pretty much exactly what's already been said in this thread. (See my post #134)

Nvidia did somewhat of an odd move by cutting the gp102 and releasing it as a Titan card. Would have made more sense to have kept the memory the same and release the Titan XP as the 1080Ti instead back in Aug for around $799 and now roll out an uncut gp102 with more memory as a true Titan for $1200... they did it ass backwards though for some reason... most likely to make more $.

They made good money on the TitanXP and if they re-brand it and release an updated version they're gonna make even more money. While still staying ahead of AMD.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Back