New 100mbit connection - only 20 achievable by wifi.

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi guys. I have new contract for 100mbit instead of 30 and I am confussed a bit.
I have a tp-link 150mbps n router. wr740n model.
On pc I have wireless g adapter usb dongle. 5bars signal.

I can't get more than 22mbits on that pc via dongle. I know it is g and not n, but 54mbps should be achievable right ? If I connect my old notebook to a wall cable just by itself (ip of this notebook is registered with my isp) then i get about 94mbits, so the new internet IS working.

That new tplink 150mbps router is new and set correctly to my knowledge. I did some cisco exams so I am not a complete idiot :p

Now, going cable from that router to pc is out of the question. Should I just get another solution of connection for my pc? Maybe a new n dongle ?

No, 54 Mbit should not be achieveable.

54 Mbit is the signalling rate, once you add all the overhead associated with wireless, and then take into account that your wireless signal is never completely perfect, you'll always get less.

22 seems a little low, you can normally expect a max of 34 mbit.

To get closer to your 100 Mb connection, you'll need a wireless N adapter and router.

another router ? I get great signal with this one. 5bars

Can I ask for reasonable priced n adapters recommendations then ?

You could be limited by the uplink speed of your router (WAN port). You say that running a cable between your PC and the router is out of the question, but is a valid test to determine whether your router is the bottleneck. If the dongle us USB 2, then your bandwidth would be limited by the throughput of USB 2.

No, 54 Mbit should not be achieveable.

54 Mbit is the signalling rate, once you add all the overhead associated with wireless, and then take into account that your wireless signal is never completely perfect, you'll always get less.

22 seems a little low, you can normally expect a max of 34 mbit.

To get closer to your 100 Mb connection, you'll need a wireless N adapter and router.

/thread.

OP, you work in IT?

You could be limited by the uplink speed of your router (WAN port). You say that running a cable between your PC and the router is out of the question, but is a valid test to determine whether your router is the bottleneck. If the dongle us USB 2, then your bandwidth would be limited by the throughput of USB 2.
USB 2 is 480mbit, hardly a limiting factor.

You're never going to get anywhere near the rated speeds with wireless. If you can't run a cable, you're just going to have to live with it. Getting an 802.11n or 802.11ac access point and wireless card would help (you'll probably actually get over 100mbit with 802.11ac if the distance isn't too great).

USB 2 is 480mbit, hardly a limiting factor.

To top that off the USB adapter should just be feeding the receiver/transmitter power not actual data since it's wireless. [EDIT] forgot it all has to pass through USB :facepalm:

jjeff1 is right. Anytime you see advertised wireless speeds automatically divide that number by 2 and you're looking at a more realistic theoretical max possible speeds. This isn't even factoring in two-way communication's (uploading/downloading) which drops it even further. Wireless is horrible for networking, great for ease of use but that's about it.

Last edited:
/thread.

OP, you work in IT?

No i don't. I just studied it for 3 years ;)

Running cable gives me jsut fine results, so that is not a problem with router.
The problem must be thta 2005 dongle.

or.... actually my 2yo netbook is also doing only about 28mbits.

Wifi will in no way ever acheieve speeds that high. Not with current tech. Maybe ac will.

I know but I don't want to hassle with cables ever again.

even if I would achieve only half of that 100mbps, it would be comfortable enough to use steam ;)

I will look for usb wifi adapter with anthena, I guess. prolly tplink or anything that will be in store.

Thanks for help.

edit:
btw - just updated firmware on that tplink router and restarted factory everything and set wifi network again. Same results.

Wireless is a half-duplex protocol. You can not transmit and receive at the same time.

You also have the encryption overhead.

IF you are the ONLY wireless client.....

A perfect 54mbit negotiated rate with WPA2 gives you about 22Mbps throughput MAX

A perfect 144 wireless N negotiated rate with WPA2 gives you about 90Mbps throughput MAX

If there are others that are also connected to the wireless you all share the usable wireless bandwidth available so you might download even slower than that.

Physical (cabled) Ethernet is a full duplex protocol. You can transmit and receive at the same time. So 100Mb ethernet can theoretically move 200Mbps over the cable.

Wireless G will get about 20-22 mbps. Wireless will get about 40-50mbps. Obviously you can get a lot better speeds with N, but that depends on many factors. Fastest Wireless N connection I have used and seen has gotten ~ 65-70 mbps.

I've measured my wireless N network. I see 10MBps on a normal day via SMB, which IS approx 80Mbps.

got tplink usb adapter with anthena and stand
my results

Got that tplink wifi n usb adapter (with anthena and stand)

I think it's a good result. Some static in speakers but I got some ferrite. Will try it later

Wireless is a half-duplex protocol. You can not transmit and receive at the same time.

You also have the encryption overhead.

IF you are the ONLY wireless client.....

A perfect 54mbit negotiated rate with WPA2 gives you about 22Mbps throughput MAX

A perfect 144 wireless N negotiated rate with WPA2 gives you about 90Mbps throughput MAX

If there are others that are also connected to the wireless you all share the usable wireless bandwidth available so you might download even slower than that.

Physical (cabled) Ethernet is a full duplex protocol. You can transmit and receive at the same time. So 100Mb ethernet can theoretically move 200Mbps over the cable.

thats right on.

expect to get half of what you are connected at, and that is best case. more likely youll get about 40% of what you are connect at.

54mbps * .4 = 22mbps

150mbps * .4 = 60mbps

Back