Never seen this, is it PSU dead, or motherboard.

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I got a new motherboard a while ago and a new power supply more recently, anyways, the power supply worked great on the first day, including multiple reboots.

The next day (today) I see the motherboard power light is very dim, so I turned the physical switch off and waited (quite a long time) till it faded out.

When I turn it back on, it fades out again quite quickly. But if I leave it off for a long time I can boot in to windows before it fades (and tries to restart a couple of times) it seems as if something might be overheating or discharging.

Before I changed the power supply, I had a couple of strange things happen on the motherboard which may be related. Firstly the rear audio outputs don't work, but the front does, I can live with that, but one time it went in to a power loop when I had a 3dconexxion spacepilot plugged in to a usb3 port.

The power supply is a seasonic platinum 860w and the motherboard is asus Maximus gene v, i7 3770k and titan video card (which I removed while his shenanigans is going on because I don't want to damage it) and some SSDs and an optical drive.

pull it all out of the case and set it up in a minimal configuration on the bench

sounds like a case short in the making to me

Ill try it tomorrow, thanks!

Edit:
I decided to try it now. It got just as far then powered off (maybe a little better, I got to move the mouse for a few seconds)

One thing I noticed with it out of the case, the on board power button is flickering dimly but the silly LEDs that light the audio outline thing are steady.

Edit again.
Tried it with a different power supply. It's the motherboard. even after CMOS reset, it does the same thing. Thanks, putting it on a bench(coffee table actually) helped me troubleshoot and I won't send back the wrong thing.

Last edited:
delete the leds, switches, everything you can

mobo, CPU, 1 stick RAM, video card if no onboard and PSU, that is all

boot the system by shorting the power button pins with a screwdriver or paperclip

this procedure eliminates as many variables as possible

report back

Get a cheap digital multimeter, and measure the voltage between the purple wire and any of the black wires, preferrably while the PSU is connected to the motherboard It should be close to +5V, and it feeds the motherboard power indicator LED.

It does the same thing with the old PSU so I would guess this is no longer a psu question.
(And both psus power an old motherboard fine)

If anyone is interested, I tested it without anything plugged in except the CPU and a stick of memory.
Then I even tried it without memory.

If I have been messing with it, as soon as I turn on the power supply physical switch the onboard power button lights up then fades gradually out. If I leave it alone for a while it can stay on for about 30 seconds before it fades and the machine turns off.

I watched it with a FLIR camera and nothing gets very hot, and inspecting the board nothing looks burnt.

I thought I bought an asus motherboard, but it looks like I got an ABIT!

ABIT ? Wow, I used to really like their motherboards but man was I cursed with their "bad capacitor" plague once upon a time (almost all PCs were, mid P3 days). But, man, they've been out of business since the IP-35 Quad GT was considered "top of the line".

Back