Never played CS:S -- best way to learn?

bipolar

[H]ard|Gawd
I've actually never played CS at all, either vanilla or Source. I have the HL2 silver package, and IIRC Condition Zero is basically a single player version of CS, right? Would playing through it be a good way to learn, or is the learning curve at this point too high to have any fun for a new player? I've tried CS:S once and quit when I'd get killed within the first 15 seconds and then twiddle my fingers for the next 10 minutes.

CS is hard to learn - and Condition Zero won't help you at all. If online players are too hard for you, practice with bots.

The main thing that is different about CS is the weapon behavior. Basically, YOU DO NOT MOVE WHILE SHOOTING.

Hm, maybe I'll just stick with DoD:S then. Never played vanilla DoD either, but it wasn't too difficult to pick up.

Is Condition Zero worth playing on its own merits? Want to get some more value out of my HL2 Silver :)

i got the silver pack a while back ... i played cs:s online and got owned ... then i went off line and played bots ... i worked my way up the bot difficultly levels and then went back online and did a lot better .... it just takes a little time ...

i wouldn't pass up cs:s its a fun game ...

Yeah dont give up, exspeically if you attend lans, because its played alot at them. From what I gather from alot of forums, is that CS has about a one month learning curve.

Just dont try to do some rambo crap and you should be fine. I think alot of people have problems with the recoil. Shoot in bursts, so you keep your recoil down.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. DoD:S introduced me to the whole recoil concept ... normally I play UT2k4 and other arcadey type games. I'll try CS:S offline for a bit and see how I do.

Just remember to try and have an idea of where your teammates are as well as where your enemys could be. And as a rule of thumb, go on a rout with at least 2 people going the same way. Do not explore the map on your own, unless you wan't to watch some good people pretty quickly. Watching good people is a good way to learn as well.

CS_maps = Rescue hostages
DE_maps = Plant bomb

Have fun :)

Just get online and start playing, you'll get the hang of it in not time. if u are unfamiliar with the map just follow the group and once in a while go into specatator mode and watch some of the good players on the server play.

bipolar said:
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. DoD:S introduced me to the whole recoil concept ... normally I play UT2k4 and other arcadey type games. I'll try CS:S offline for a bit and see how I do.

soon you will realize just how arcadey CS is.. :D ... it is fun for a while tho, enjoy. :)

yeah just get on and play, you will die alot at first, when you get killed figure out who the good players are on the server and watch what they do. dont get discouraged if you die alot just keep playing.

PCJ said:
CS is hard to learn - and Condition Zero won't help you at all. If online players are too hard for you, practice with bots.

The main thing that is different about CS is the weapon behavior. Basically, YOU DO NOT MOVE WHILE SHOOTING.
what are you talking about, sure mabey this is true with scout and awp, and somewhat for AK but if you just stand still your open target for everyone to blow your head off

work on aiming for the head with every gun, and how to compinsate for the recoil when unloading

Isaacav2 said:
Just remember to try and have an idea of where your teammates are as well as where your enemys could be. And as a rule of thumb, go on a rout with at least 2 people going the same way. Do not explore the map on your own, unless you wan't to watch some good people pretty quickly. Watching good people is a good way to learn as well.

CS_maps = Rescue hostages
DE_maps = Plant bomb

Have fun :)
I've been playing CS for 6 months, and I never knew figured out why some maps were CS and some were DE. Thanks lol

Aiming in CS:S doesn't do anything to help you get kills. You have the crosshaid dead on and miss completely.

You have to figure out where to shoot to hit your enemy. If they're running sideways, its usually behind them. GG Valve.

CS has no real skill behind it other than two things

LEARN WHAT GUN WORKS BEST FOR YOU
- Just because the more expensive gun has more power, doesn't make it better.
- Find the gun that allows you to get the most hits on target and go with that!

STICK TOGETHER WITH YOUR TEAM
- Most people who go off alone get killed
- Trying to disarm a bomb and defending your self is imposible, you need cover!

imo online games, no matter what genre, best way to learn, is just play the game. don't get discourage if you get killed so easily the first couple of days. the more you play, the more you get it

Majin said:
CS has no real skill behind it other than two things

LEARN WHAT GUN WORKS BEST FOR YOU
- Just because the more expensive gun has more power, doesn't make it better.
- Find the gun that allows you to get the most hits on target and go with that!

STICK TOGETHER WITH YOUR TEAM
- Most people who go off alone get killed
- Trying to disarm a bomb and defending your self is imposible, you need cover!

true..... but I love going alone in an unexpected path and killing 4-5 guys from behind :p lol..

anyways.... bipolar.. I would recommend you play CS:S instead of DOD:S first :p because you will get used to CS:S a lot faster than DOD:S b/c the guns in CS:S are much easier to control/learn. And besides.. you can always SPRAY AND PRAY like a lot of other noobs.. just don't do it with an AK :p

To get good at CS, do what most other people do. Download some skills and rip up the pubs :cool:

See I got turned off on CS waaay back in the stone age of HL-based multiplayer. Half-Life had just come out and I had been playing multiplayer forever and loving it, then someone told me about CS and I went to try it out. It was then that I discovered something about the people that play CS... 90% of them are the most rude asshat kiddies you'll ever meet. The attitude of CS players turned me off the game, and made it something I gave up on. Instead I went on to play other multiplayer mods like Action Half-Life and much later The Opera and DoD.

Sometimes I feel like I should give CS another try now that it's moved to the Source engine.... NAH! :)

CS is one of the most enjoyable online games next to BF2 assuming one thing.

Your playing with good people.

Unfortunatley CS players come in the following ratios...

15% good folk, 15% good 1337 folk, 20% arse holes, 5% 1337 arse holes, 20% annoying kids, 25% chav haxor scum.

Always try to keep your crosshairs at head level or a little below (to factor int he burst) that way if you get suprised you don't need to aim, just click. Find a server you like and play away!

Ballz2TheWallz said:
what are you talking about, sure mabey this is true with scout and awp, and somewhat for AK but if you just stand still your open target for everyone to blow your head off
If you watch good players, they are in constant motion, then stand still, fire a burst, and immediately move again.

That's cause typically, if you can control your spray, the first 4 or 5 bullets hit the target, as long as you're not moving. Moving also adds aimerror to the spray though.

Fuck CS:S. It's not worth playing if you haven't been into CS from the beginning. BF2 is a better game in every way.

-Ace-

i dont like CSS because for some reason i suck at it.
im good at all other fps's i have played like RF, BF1942, BF2, and FEAR, but not CSS. i know all of the general strategies to use in first person shooters, like constantly moving around, etc, but for some reason they mean absolutely nothing when i play CS:S. :(

AceTKK said:
Fuck CS:S. It's not worth playing if you haven't been into CS from the beginning. BF2 is a better game in every way.

-Ace-

:rolleyes: Please don't crap on what was a positive thread.

Lazy_Moron said:
Just dont try to do some rambo crap and you should be fine.

LOL! Yeah you can eat up through the AK47 slip pretty quick... As with Rambo he has about 500 bullets in his mag... :p

V99 said:
LOL! Yeah you can eat up through the AK47 slip pretty quick... As with Rambo he has about 500 bullets in his mag... :p

It really pisses me off, by all the people in the CS community, who try to take the opposite team out single handly. Alot of people dont like to use teamwork, and this is a game that really needs teamwork. That why it is also a good ideal to join a clan. With being in a clan, your team will work together.

^ alot of servers dont allow voice ^

To whoever said you had to be in CS from the beginning to be good... NOT TRUE.

erorr404 said:
i dont like CSS because for some reason i suck at it.
im good at all other fps's i have played like RF, BF1942, BF2, and FEAR, but not CSS. i know all of the general strategies to use in first person shooters, like constantly moving around, etc, but for some reason they mean absolutely nothing when i play CS:S. :(
CS:S is different than the other games you mentioned. Instead of being a typical FPS it is more of a tactical shooter. The designers tried to make the shooting more realistic. If you try to move around and kill someone you won't hit them.

Ryder said:
^ alot of servers dont allow voice ^

To whoever said you had to be in CS from the beginning to be good... NOT TRUE.
no i figured out theres a voice button lol

*use to xbox live*

I agree, there are a LOT of rude people on CS:S.
If you find a server with nice folk,
don't play anywhere else!

CS:S is in a world of it's own, you can't play it and expect to play every other FPS the same way, because if you did, you would get pwned.

Heres a great way to learn.

Go down to your local internet cafe and play. I can't count the number of times I almost got into a fist fight with those pricks when I was new. Everyone screaming at you because you don't know what your doing. You learn pretty quick. lol

JustinSane said:
Heres a great way to learn.

Go down to your local internet cafe and play. I can't count the number of times I almost got into a fist fight with those pricks when I was new. Everyone screaming at you because you don't know what your doing. You learn pretty quick. lol
lol,you do realize the closest intercafe with CS as far as i know of

is 140miles away :p

Ballz2TheWallz said:
lol,you do realize the closest intercafe with CS as far as i know of

is 140miles away :p

What part of Maryland do you live in? I used to live in Baltimore.

Back