Never played Crysis 1, 2, or 3. I was thinking about getting it, but.......

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
I keep reading horror stories about the Securom DRM.

I like my system kept as clean as possible.

Is the hysteria overblown or should I just pass on EA games. I looked on Steam and it still says there is 3rd party securom on it.

hysteria is overblown...I also think they removed the activation/DRM from Crysis 1 and 2

Honestly, none of the three ever kept my interest very long, but the graphics are great (even Crysis 1 still has great graphics, and they are amazing with tweaks).

If you are up for a Far Cry 1 like experience then Crysis 1 is your bag, otherwise Crysis 2 and 3 are more shoot bad-guys, move to next arena like area, shoot bad-guys, and on and on (modern FPS formula).

Crysis Warhead + Wars does not require the CD to be in the drive. Never had any issues with any of the Crysis games myself.

Its way overblown, like most internet DRM bitchery.

Crysis 1 and Warhead work great for me. Honestly, both games still look and play surprisingly well given their age.

Crysis 2 is largely forgetable, and doesn't run reliably on Window 8+, in my experience. I'd skip it unless you absolutely must complete the trilogy.

Crysis 3 uses Origin and works great. Definetly worth a purchase, even just to stare at how amazing it looks. You can find it for $5-$10 most weekends.

SecuROM is not as bad as it was 10 years ago. Back then the "program" had to always make sure that I knew it was running, and it even killed one of my DVD drives when I install GTR2. Nowadays I don't even know it's there and it isn't interfering with anything.

don't cut off your nose to spite your face.. just get them and play them and enjoy them..

you really missed out on the Crysis 1 experience.. one best looking game still to do this date... and the gameplay is great too..

SecuROM is not as bad as it was 10 years ago. Back then the "program" had to always make sure that I knew it was running, and it even killed one of my DVD drives when I install GTR2. Nowadays I don't even know it's there and it isn't interfering with anything.
The Crysis released seven years ago has the SecuROM released seven years ago (give or take).

My advice: set a restore point before you install; roll back to it after you've finished the game.

I never had a problem with any of the Crysis games.

The only DRM I HAVE had problems with is Ubisoft's, and only for a couple games.

off-topic, I think most DRM hysteria is overblown. I haven't had much bad experience with it, and I think DRM is generally a poor solution to a problem that hardly exists. But I haven't really been impacted by it. Crysis or otherwise.

That being said, I didn't really find Crysis Warhead or 2 all that interesting. But to each their own.

The Crysis released seven years ago has the SecuROM released seven years ago (give or take).

My advice: set a restore point before you install; roll back to it after you've finished the game.
Crysis uses a newer version than the one with GTR2 that killed my drive (7.36.0007 vs. 7.29.0009). I have had the original DVD release version of Crysis installed on my Windows 7 machine for about 4 months now without issue.

Thanks,
I think I will pick it up Crysis Max and see how I like it.

I played Far Cry and like it. I barfed playing Far Cry 2.

I'll pick up Crysis 2 if I like the first.

Crysis (original) is without a doubt the best. No reason you shouldn't have played it by now. In fact, Crysis is one of my favorite shooters of all time just because the gameplay was executed almost perfectly for my tastes (the story is forgettable). You can mod your gun, strategize your assault, and the graphics today are still amazing. I remember when you first get over that hill in the first 5 minutes of the game and you see the sun rising and see the god rays even from the jet flying by overhead. Was awesome. The replay for that game is really high for me... especially in developer mode. lol.

Oh, and yeah you should have no DRM concerns. Crysis 2 was absolute garbage compared to 1. They consolized it to death. The open-world element wasn't there anymore as much and that ruined it for me. I thought it'd be cool to have a open-world Crysis game set in a urban environment like New York but it was executed terribly. I didn't play the 3rd because with my system I couldn't max out the graphics, so i'll wait to play that for after I upgrade again.

I've never played it, either. Picked up a bundle recently and found that they didn't work on Win8...

Did some googling, and couldn't find anything except people asking how to make it work. I had too much in my backlog to worry about it. Anyone got tips to make it work on Win8?

I've never played it, either. Picked up a bundle recently and found that they didn't work on Win8...

Did some googling, and couldn't find anything except people asking how to make it work. I had too much in my backlog to worry about it. Anyone got tips to make it work on Win8?

Crysis 1 has problems running on a 64-bit OS, so that's probably your problem (assuming you are using a 64-bit version of W8).

Google "Crysis 64-bit fix" and the first link should help you out. I would post a link but work firewalls and all... :cool:

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Vista SP2? Running in DX9 mode?
Crysis 1 has problems running on a 64-bit OS, so that's probably your problem (assuming you are using a 64-bit version of W8).

Google "Crysis 64-bit fix" and the first link should help you out. I would post a link but work firewalls and all... :cool:
The DVD retail version of Crysis patched up to version 1.1 has no problem running the 64-bit version on 64-bit operating systems (at least up to Windows 7...). The downloadable versions only include the 32-bit version, which always crashes for me on Win 7 64-bit. In my case I have to run the game with the 64-bit executable in the DVD version.

The only problem with all of this, is that the rig in your signature predates Crysis. Hopefully that's not what you intend to play it on.

I enjoyed all of them, graphically they're pretty awesome.

Be aware that the final boss of the first game still hasn't been patched so you may run into trouble actually killing it. Apparently it's not isolated to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crysis+final+boss+bug

For the prices they're at now, they're absolutely worth your time if you like FPS games.

The downloadable versions only include the 32-bit version, which always crashes for me on Win 7 64-bit. In my case I have to run the game with the 64-bit executable in the DVD version.

That's right! That's why it didn't work for me and I had to download and use the 64-bit executable. Thanks for the correction. :D

I liked the first Crysis.

I never could finish Crysis 2 because at a certain point the game just fucked up and wouldn't allow me to continue (cutscene never triggered, invisible wall, etc.). Restarted a couple times and the same issue, so I have no idea.

Crysis 3 was pretty good, as well. I don't recall if I finished it or not but I got pretty close.

If you have issues running the 32-bit Crysis, set it in compatibility mode for Vista SP2. If you have issues with the framerate locking at 24FPS, hit ALT+Enter 7-8 times in a row after starting the game.

Anyway, I think Crysis 1 starts off strong but the last 30% is a corridor shooter at best.
I liked #2. It's definitely less open than the first game, but it doesn't fall off completely at the end.
#3 is very similar to #2. You're in a different environment and it's certainly more challenging, but it has a very similar look and feel. Invisibility is still the way to go almost all of the time.

I liked in Crysis that it was possible to run so fast you could kill yourself (or even other enemies) on impact, and that you could set up ambushes by hiding in a bush and hurling a fucking drill press at people.

I distinctly remember pitching one at a passing jeep, which somehow blew all the tires because logic, and it proceeded to careen off the road and down a cliff. It was at that point in 2007 that I knew we were entering the future.

edit: also any object that was capable of physics held the potential be absurdly dangerous, rubbing up against a small wooden box or car tire the wrong way could easily rip you in half, killing you instantly.

Back