Never had a newly built rig do this..

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
Ever since I've been building computers I've always at least gotten to the BIOS screen at first boot. I'm getting an on/off cycle that isn't sending anything to the screen at all with a newly built rig. It's a seasonic G series 550W PSU, an i3 with an ASrock Z77 and a GTX660 with 2x SSD's. Anyone got any ideas? i've quadruple checked my connections.

Reseating RAM has fixed similar problems for me. Check your CPU socket for bent pins as well.

99.9% ram issue. What RAM are you using? What is the default voltage?

I would reseat the ram, and only use one stick at a time to see if you can get it to boot.

Are you sure there are no shorts? First thing I would check is the MB standoffs, even one out of place can cause all sorts of headaches. I had a new build that hung on the MB's splash screen and wouldn't go any further no matter what I did. I worked on it for hours before pulling everything out of the case and discovering a misplaced standoff.

Yeah, I'd make sure to check for shorts like Cajun mentioned. Easy test for that is to just take the mobo out of the case and see if it boots normally (if you have to set it down, lay it on some cardboard not a carpet or antistatic bag).

The bad RAM will usually at least make your MB beep, but I've had instances where that doesn't happen so it could be either.

sounds like a random item, but try a different power cord. In my time, I've had 2 bad cords give me similar issues.

I had a system do this after some upgrades. After hours of trouble shooting it turned out my case had a bad power switch! Who test a case before using it??

The ram is 4x4 GB of Ripjaws red. Re-seating the ram did nothing, but when I tried a single stick it stopped re-setting itself and just hung with nothing on the display. Anyone know what that means? I've tested all the ram and the video card in another computer and they work just fine. I made sure it's not the cord as well. I think I'll move on and check the CPU. I actually can't screw in some of my mobo screws snug with the mobo (what the hell coolermaster?) so that's the likely problem.

The case is brand new, so I hope it's not the switch! I actually just had to replace a case because of a faulty power switch.

OK so I took the MOBO out of the case and the computer booted. Looks like I have a short caused by the mounting points. Anyone have a good idea on how to fix this?

Make absolutely sure the standoffs are centered on the hold down screw and the backplate is firmly seated in the case.

Make sure your standoffs are placed right, in my case I had an extra standoff that was touching the bare board instead of lining up with a hold-down hole. Also you might try small fiber washers on all your screws or even small pieces of electrical tape (what I do here is cut a small square of tape and punch the screw through it.).

Make sure your standoffs are placed right, in my case I had an extra standoff that was touching the bare board instead of lining up with a hold-down hole. Also you might try small fiber washers on all your screws or even small pieces of electrical tape (what I do here is cut a small square of tape and punch the screw through it.).

Good idea! Thanks. Gonna go try that now.

Back