Never had a gaming laptop, making the transition, time to buy?

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
With the birth of my son last year and another one the way, I have found that I am rarely at my desktop. Usually I am watching my son in his room or play area...I also work at the fire dept...on the weekends and usually past 5 or 6 pm we can more or less do what we want, as long as we aren't running calls. (8-5 we train, stay busy, etc). More often than not I have realized how mobile I am. In the past few years there has been a quiet (in my book at least) revolution in gaming laptops. It seems you used to have to spend 4k on an Alienware to play Oblivion highspecs....now you can play anything for around 1200 or so it seems.

I have been lurking the notebook forums and reading here and there. Sager seems to be my sort of thing right...I've thought about Lenovo but it seems I won't be able to select a higher GPU...but here is what I want...My budget is about $1500 cash (literally, that's how much I have in my 200lb safe at home).

DO WANT:
17inch
i7 processor
Best GPU, Probably 670 or 670x
Solid state main drive seems to be the norm

I need to buy an OS so that factors in...probably will take advantage of the $15 windows 8 upgrade I guess.

It all points me to the P170EM ...one thing I love even though I will rarely use it (who knows, maybe I will, is the HDMI out thing, but then again, I'm not sure if my TV's have actually HDCP ports or not, so it might be a wash)

Which sager reseller should I go with? It is confusing because they all seem to have the EXACT same deals.

Anyone have any other thoughts? I should also mention, my desktop is an E8500 C2D with a 4870...so this should actually be a decent stepup in performance. I have been stuck at work on a slow day and can only play so much of Gal Civ or other low end RTS's....would be nice to play a Skyrim or Fallout game.

I'm also thinking of getting a SquareTrade warranty...it has taken me well over a year to save up this money and I'm not likely to be able to do this for at least 2.5 or 3 years (wife is in lawschool, I'm a FF/Paramedic)...so I need something that covers things like dropping or theft.

Also, should I wait till the end of the year or January or does it not really matter. I've thought about the new consoles and their affects on the PC market but I couldn't nail down anything conclusive. Thanks for the info guys. This is a pretty big deal to me.

mm i think your on the right path with the sager/clevo, 670mx or higher i say :)

Sager notebooks are built well. I had one for about 3 years and it served me very well.

mm i think your on the right path with the sager/clevo, 670mx or higher i say :)

^^ +1

Especially on that GPU. Be sure if you buy an NVidia variant, that it has the "MX" with it, so you know you are getting a true Kepler chip (runs significantly cooler). Sager/Clevo models are good due to their awesome cooling using desktop CPU's.. something you don't normally see in most laptops.

MSI just released an A10 with 2 GB DDR5 VRAM Trinity notebook in 15.6, GX60 Model. Do not know if there will be a 17 inch variant.

MSI just released an A10 with 2 GB DDR5 VRAM Trinity notebook in 15.6, GX60 Model. Do not know if there will be a 17 inch variant.

with a 1500$ budget I would still go with the clevo, the gx60 is a nice laptop; however, that A10 will be a bottleneck for the 7970m. You won't be getting the most out of the laptop. I would only get that laptop if it were priced rigorously low.

How much improvement do you think I will see running from my desktop? Also, they are running a special, free upgrade to the 675mx I think? (One with 2 gig vram)... I will have to doublecheck to make sure the mx is on it, thanks for that tip, I am ignorant to a lot of this stuff, the search button and google have helped though.

Last edited:
Not sure with that mx nomenclature but the 675 wa not kepler so it may not be a great deal honestly.

And no reason not to go i7 with the laptop, they are awesome!

Last edited:
Back