never got into the Battlefield series... where do I begin?

indokyne

2[H]4U
So I've been watching a few trailers of Bad Company 2 and it looks promising.

Promising enough for me to want to start getting into the series.

So which Battlefield game should I begin with? I don't necessarily need to start from the bottom / beginning. My first intro to Call of Duty was Modern Warfare and now MW2 and I enjoy them both.

I'm not into WWII era games btw so I'll probably skip on those.

If you are'nt into WWII then you'll miss the best one. Skip 2142 it sucks balls and just play Battlefield 2 then.

so between all the different Battlefield games, what would you guys suggest starting with first?

If you are'nt into WWII then you'll miss the best one. Skip 2142 it sucks balls and just play Battlefield 2 then.

I like bf 2142 alot, found it very fun. Its all a mtter of opinion.

I'd say start with either BF2 or BF2142 both are good

1942 and battlefield 2 are good. 2142 is a futuristic one. You said you like MW2, and dont like WW2, so play Battlefield 2.

Battlefield 2 is probably the best one out, BF2142 in my opinion was a huge pile of fail, BF1942 is too old and WW2 so wont appeal.

cool thx for the responses all.

So Battlefield 2 sounds like the right choice to begin my Battlefield experience...

how is the overall gameplay, graphics, perks, guns etc compared to say a Modern Warfare game?

2142 does not suck balls. It has a much more balanced game play over BF2. Doesn't have all the BS bf2 has. It just doesn't have the amount of players/servers bf2 has.

Both are quality games but expect to be frustrated with BF2s over powered aircraft and lack of map choices.

cool thx for the responses all.

So Battlefield 2 sounds like the right choice to begin my Battlefield experience...

how is the overall gameplay, graphics, perks, guns etc compared to say a Modern Warfare game?

Night and day different gameplay(BF2 > MW).

Graphics are pointless in comparison, the game is 4 years or so old. it still looks perfectly fine, it isn't like playing the original Counter Strike or anything.

No real perks, you do rank up which unlocks new weapons.

big deal is playing in a good squad, taking stragic points in the map(not always a flag, holding choke points is just as good), and the addition of a vast array of vehicles have made the BF series a huge success and why it is still one of the most played games online.

2142 is awesome just like BF2. Both are excellent games. If you are just starting out though I would say BF2 is the all time winner. Better vehicles/more, better/more maps. Both are good though.

Night and day different gameplay(BF2 > MW).

Graphics are pointless in comparison, the game is 4 years or so old. it still looks perfectly fine, it isn't like playing the original Counter Strike or anything.

No real perks, you do rank up which unlocks new weapons.

big deal is playing in a good squad, taking stragic points in the map(not always a flag, holding choke points is just as good), and the addition of a vast array of vehicles have made the BF series a huge success and why it is still one of the most played games online.

makes sense. I used to be way into the Delta Force Black Hawk Down series and I'm thinking that BF2 will bring me back to those days...
slightly outdated graphics but great gameplay and expansive maps.

so now that BF Bad Company's coming out... should I just wait?

Or would it be worth playing one of the earlier BF's to get acclimated?

I bought the battlefield 2 collection recently and I couldnt get into it. There was never any deathbeam and no matter what 100% always got killed by somebody sniping and I couldnt never figure out where or learn any kind of strategic lesson. I guess I'm supposed to crawl around on my belly for a whole map, but even then I'd still get killed constantly. I say all this and I'm counter-strike guy 5 years running so I'm not a complete noob. meh. When I'm playing a match I except to be pretty competitive, but I really didn't find even the pubs to be entertaining or friendly for that matter. Offline was pretty fun I spose.

Download and try the BF2 demo first. It's fairly close to the retail product but there are some overpowered weapons in it. You can also get in on the BF:BC2 beta and try it.

Bad Company 2 is very consolish.

BF2 is dirt cheap. It has been over a month since you made your first post. I'd either buy it or never think about it again.

BC2 felt similar to 2142 / BF2... didn't seem consolish at all...

I just started getting into it and getting back into playing BF games, cause they do play a little bit different.

But they are all good times... Vietnam, 1942, 2142, 2... whatever... they're all fun imo...

BF2 is hell fun but aurcrafts are overpowered and you cannot really take them down.
BF2142 is hell fun too and much more ballanced then BF2.

So, if you like real world weapons, vehicles then BF2, if you prefer future combat weapons, walking robots, flying tanks and huge titans join BF2142

I play BF2142 - there are ~500 servers visible to me in Europe and at least 5 or 6 of those are full 64 players servers.

It's a shame you're not into WWII games, because the WWII CoD games beat the shit out of the MW ones, especially in multiplayer.

As for BF: start with 1942 and work your way through. 2142 was pretty good despite what people say, and there's a shedload of BF2 mods out there that will blow your face away.

Perks and stuff like that are gay, best part about BF2 is it doesn't have those. The ranking system in BF2 was pretty cool, haven't played the game in a while...Sorta miss it.

Bf1942 was really fun back in the day, Desert Combat mod mad it a lot more fun as well.

And the previous comments about getting killed all the time by a sniper in BF2 and forcing you to prone all the time is utterly false. You roll in groups unlike MW2. If you go solo you'll suck, if you go in groups you'll get a lot of points. If you actually want teamplay go with BF2.

2142 was kinda boring IMHO, the accuracy of the weapons suck balls.

bf1942, youc an probably get it for a couple dollars. as with any of the games in the series bf42 was the simplest, but what a blast it was..

with bf2 they tried to add too much and not keep the feeling the same.

I did notice that no BF Vietnam was mentioned, and for good reason :)

I did notice that no BF Vietnam was mentioned, and for good reason :)

What's the knock towards BF Vietnam? I thought it was a great game and enjoyed it just as much as the rest. What's not to like about flying around in helicopters capping flags while listening to music from the 60's!.

I liked Battlefield 1942 the absolute best, but BF2 isn't bad. I could never get BF Vietnam to run that well on my system, so I never really gave it a fair shake.

You might as well just stick to BF2 at this point, though.

BF1942 with the Desert Combat mod was the best one IMO. BF2 was fun but it couldnt keep me for more than a few months. Skipped 2142 without remorse. BC2 looks good though. Once its out I will keep an eye on it.

Like others have said, 2142 was way more balanced than bf2. The setup as far as classes and perks go, are very similar to have 2142 was setup. I say give them both a chance as they are both very cheap and great games.

bad compay has better graphics, physics and infantry mechanism. But it lacks player count, map sizes and game features such as being a commander or squad leader telling other team mates to go here and attack or defend.

If you're looking to eventually pick up Bad Company 2, it doesn't really feel like the previous Battlefield games so you'll probably do fine jumping right in.

Battlefield 1942 was/is a fantastic game. I never cared for the D.C. mod (seemed too Nintendo-ish for my taste). I played some BF2 but never could give up on BF42. I still play 1942 pretty frequently on the Moongamer's servers. Charlie Don't Surf® is my handle.

Back