Networking with Ubiquiti

The PoE standards are just volts and amps, don't let their IEEE "standards" confuse you. The U6LR needs 48VDC and at least 0.5A. UBNT sells an injector that does just that: https://store.ui.com/collections/un...ducts/poe-injector-48vdc-24w-rocketti-uap-pro

Their PoE Switches will provide the power needed as well, I've powered my U6Pro (EA) with both methods and they work fine.
I actually briefly ran it on just PoE before i put clients on it and it was fine but i instead went the other direction and changed out my Dell PoE switch for a Brocade PoE+ unit.

i just did my house in ubiquiti. 15 cameras. 3 AP. NVR 7 disk version UDM pro 48 POE pro switch.

no issues. love it. especially the cameras. and 10gig to my NAS and few computers.

One thing i love the most and its so simple is my ubiquiti smart plug can reboot the power to my modem from my phone or it will do it automatically if no internet is detected.

Just incase you were not aware, Ubuquiti should be on everyone's sh*t list, they left a breach go secret so their share prices would not be affected, leaving exposed enterprise companies entire networks, and all you home users as well

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/

On Jan. 11, Ubiquiti Inc. [NYSE:UI] — a major vendor of cloud-enabled Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as routers, network video recorders and security cameras — disclosed that a breach involving a third-party cloud provider had exposed customer account credentials. Now a source who participated in the response to that breach alleges Ubiquiti massively downplayed a “catastrophic” incident to minimize the hit to its stock price, and that the third-party cloud provider claim was a fabrication.

All my network gear is old. I’m building a new house and seems like it’s the perfect opportunity to re-do everything.

I have enough knowledge to get it done with reading and watching some YouTube videos. I’m more of set it up, get it working and then leave it alone.

Any issues going all in with all Ubiquiti gear?

Honestly, I wouldn't.

I'm just a bout to start the planning phase on dumping all of my Ubiquiti gear and finding other alternatives. Back 10 years ago they used to be the good guys, but now they are turning into Meraki.

My entrance into the Unifi ecosystem came through their Wireless Access Points back in 2010. I was in a noisy area and even the best consumer router money could buy had terrible performance, even from right across the room. The Unifi b/g/n LR AP I bought back then was a miracle, cutting through all the noise and just working at full speed.

What I liked about Unifi products other than their great Wifi performance was the ability to run the controller on my own hardware. I'd simply spin up a linux VM on my server, install the controller software and I was good to go, managing everything locally, without depending on any cloud service or external system.

When they introduced Airvision (later Unifi Video) it worked the same. Just buy the cameras, run the server, and you are good to go. Nothing ever leaves your local network.

The first signs of everything starting to go downhill at Ubiquiti were when they started to try to build an integrated ecosystem. Not happy with having a best in class unified WAP system that everyone loved, they started adding routers, and switches, and if you didn't use everythign from their ecosystem, you'd have red status indicators in the controller software telling you something had failed, which was annoying.

For a brief while I tried using one of their routers, but found the performance extremely disappointing and returned it almost immediately, instead building another high end pfSense router.

Then cloud integration accounts started popping up in the locally run Unifi controller software. You didn't have to sign in... For now...

Now they have unceremoniously decided to discontinue Unifi Video. No more local controller that can run on your own server. You have to buy a special controller box with a very limited amount of space, and guess what, it is cloud controlled and sends your data god knows where.

And they did at the same time they ahd a massive breach of their cloud infrastructure, which they according to Brian Krebs lied to their customers about. 100% local is not an option. You must migrate to our cloud, but our cloud was compromised and we have been known to lie about it and cant be trusted at all.

The way things have been going, it seems like only a matter of time until the local Unifi controller goes away as well, forcing you to manage your WAP's and other local things from their shitty cloud infrastructure which can't be trusted.

Ubiquiti Unifi was the absolute coolest kid on the block from ~2008 to ~2015, but they have completely gone downhill since then, shown that they don't care at all about their customers and are willing to lie to them about how exposed they are, and are removing the features that made them great.

In 2021 I would move in the opposite direction, seriosuly considering ditching any Ubiquiti system you may have, not switching to one.

Last edited:
Yup, Ubiquiti is going the way of pay as you go services. They were great but have just become another money hungry company willing to screw everything and everyone who made them what they are now. Lets also mention the mediocre quality of firmware releases and patches they keep releasing.

I have a unifi stack I setup for my dad a few years ago and it was fine then, but I'm currently redoing my home network with TPLink Omada. It's basically the modern successor to unifi. Rock solid so far a cheaper.

I have a unifi stack I setup for my dad a few years ago and it was fine then, but I'm currently redoing my home network with TPLink Omada. It's basically the modern successor to unifi. Rock solid so far a cheaper.

I just struggle with the concept of putting stuff designed in china in my network, given how the entire country is beholden to their authoritarian government and its intelligence services.

Forcing people to create cloud accounts is the worst part. At least UDM gets the option to have local control after initial setup, but UDM Pro remote control is persistent. Open Source firmware is the way to go. Powerful router with OpenWRT or DD-WRT is how I plan on rolling in the future. I am not sure about AP's though.

I don’t do this for a living so my knowledge is based on use (asking, reading and YouTube). The specs of Netgear equipment was ideal, especially the price. However having a yearly subscription fee per device was the killer.

As far as China goes. I agree and understand your position.

I need to use a multi-wan router, so I’m using a PepLink with a bunch of APs. I understand that a computer with multi-wan input can be built, but not by me and I can’t set it up nor can I maintain it.

So here I am.

Last edited:
I got a Unifi Wifi AP a few weeks ago, my first Ubiquiti device, seems to be working fine. Their dashboard UI is a mess but it does display some useful information. When I saw they wanted me to create a cloud account I was like heeelll nooooo, that stuff is ripe for breaches so I just used a local account. Turns out I was right to do so I guess. I just purchased another AP to get one corner of the house and hopefully outside pretty well too, we'll see.

Can someone help me? I'm trying to do some firewall rules and I can't seem to get them to work. At one point I got it to work to block CS:GO but since then it seems like nothing is working. At this point I have the firewall to take down the whole network and still everything is fine.

Internet Threat Management - on
Automatically Block Network Intrusions - on

Firewall1.png

Firewall2.png

Firewall3.png

Firewall4.png

Firewall5.png

I have even rebooted the router(does anyone know if this is necessary?

Back