Networking the Smart Office That Millennials Demand

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The fact that the word "smart" is used five times in reference to this blog post over at Newegg Business certainly helps get my inner-geek laughing that much harder. Sure, we all make mistakes, but what makes it even funnier is that this has been posted for nearly two months. I guess fully wireless connectivity can not get here quick enough. We saved an archive.is just in case, and yes, this is real.

LOL!

What’s better for the company? Smart people or a smart office? One study shows you’d be hard pressed to get one without the other. Technology-obsessed millennials are shaping the modern workplace with their preferences for smart office equipment, and they do not compromise.

Last edited:
That's a fluff piece to push networking equipment sales, I think ...

Guys that cable is for set up two wireless routers in Raid and it destroys.

Firstly, who is the target audience here? Silicon Valley?

Secondly I am a millenial and I very much care mre about a secure network over a "look how much fancy unsecure crap I made my boss buy" setup.

Thirdly, YES my computer is better than my office equipment duh.

Lastly I feel most people in my sample group would agree and most really want social media access while they work because they are addicted to that crap.

We don't need "smart office", we need an office that works.

Number of users involved in videoconferencing?
I have yet seen the need for everyone to have videoconferencing. Most the users at my office place a sticker over the camera in their laptops, and would rather not have a camera.
(Most the laptops I buy have cameras, because it is usually more expensive to NOT get a camera since no camera=special order)

Some users need remote access to customers using VPN or web-ex, and of course remote and traveling users need access to the office network using VPN.

A high speed modem?

Business needs a fiber or ethernet connection with a proper firewall, and the same speed up/down, not a DSL or Cable modem.

And yes, my computer at home is faster than my computer at work, but then I don't gaming or video editing at work :p
I do have servers at work that are faster than what I have at home (dual CPU, 10 cores, 2.8Ghz, 256GB ram) :D
Even so, I still see the server occasionally peaking out on CPU on our massive SQL databases :eek:

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news for millennials, but the average IQ is between 90 and 110, if you have an IQ below 80 you are too dumb to serve in the military. Statistically speaking, you're probably not "smart" i.e. having an IQ over 130. Your just a dumb twat, working with dumb twats whose boss has been sold products designed to make you feel smart and important. The good news is you're too dumb to know you're dumb, so you can continue to live in blissful ignorance, complaining about all those dumb people using dumb technology and not collaborating with you.

So 'Smart' people don't care how much BS IT support has to go through so the smart folks can have technology toys to make their jobs easier?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news for millennials, but the average IQ is between 90 and 110, if you have an IQ below 80 you are too dumb to serve in the military. Statistically speaking, you're probably not "smart" i.e. having an IQ over 130. Your just a dumb twat, working with dumb twats whose boss has been sold products designed to make you feel smart and important. The good news is you're too dumb to know you're dumb, so you can continue to live in blissful ignorance, complaining about all those dumb people using dumb technology and not collaborating with you.

If you're smarter than average you probably know you're smarter than average, it should have become obvious to you over the years. But I know most people who are below average are well aware they are below average as well.

The best part is that I've read this posted before, but it's kind of a duh moment. Read this quote and you'll understand why:

"The current scoring method for all IQ tests is the "deviation IQ". In this method, an IQ score of 100 means that the test-taker's performance on the test is at the median level of performance in the sample of test-takers of about the same age used to norm the test"

So if you're an average "millennial", you will score exactly 100 against your peers because you are the median IQ. The test is designed to be centered around 100. The average person should be in that range otherwise the test is completely skewed somehow. And from that wording I don't think you can compare an IQ test between one generation and another because the questions will differ between tests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_classification

• 80% of millennials cited workplace tech as a deciding factor for taking a job.
  • If workplace technology isn’t up to their standard, 42% would be willing to leave the company.
Yeah, the only person I know who ever left a job due to "technology" was a gen X'er. He was poached by a bank, given a massive signing bonus, fluffy title, and just about all the grab ass he could get away with. Left because the customer onboarding process required him to use a CLI (e.g. AS400); promptly left within 48 hours.

I'm a 32yo millennial with an IS degree where a bulk of my colleagues are also millennials in the same or parallel systems analyst or consulting positions. Can't cite a single millennial leaving over workplace technology... they're usually so focused on making 6-figs that they leave at the first opportunity of getting more money.

Last edited:
As a hiring manager, I cringe dealing with millennials. They want the best hardware, often times it is supposed to be a Mac, and they want raises/promotions a few times a year. I busted my tail in my 20's (college plus working full time job), 30's - several 70-80 hour weeks to meet deadlines, and in my 40's I still put in time as needed. I worked my way up the ladder. One of my first tech jobs (when I was a coop), I was given a tooth brush and a bottle of cleaning solution. I had to scrub over 200 DEC VT100/220 terminals. A lot of these had tar stains from cigarette smoke. I had to clean these as our lease was up and they had to be sent back in good shape. Did I like it? No - it sucked. But I did it anyway. I'd have to bring in a comfort pet if I assigned one of the snowflakes something like this.

It is funny about video conferencing, we have used WebEx at work for years, however most people leave the web cams off, me included. It is just distracting.

at one job the owner had me move them from voice conference to video conference. Most people did NOT like it. I didnt care until i got one remote office linked up

OMG.. was she hot.. and it appeared she was not aware that the camera was focused right on her cleavage all the time

THAT !! made the job worthwhile.. for me at least

As a hiring manager, I cringe dealing with millennials. They want the best hardware, often times it is supposed to be a Mac, and they want raises/promotions a few times a year. I busted my tail in my 20's (college plus working full time job), 30's - several 70-80 hour weeks to meet deadlines, and in my 40's I still put in time as needed. I worked my way up the ladder. One of my first tech jobs (when I was a coop), I was given a tooth brush and a bottle of cleaning solution. I had to scrub over 200 DEC VT100/220 terminals. A lot of these had tar stains from cigarette smoke. I had to clean these as our lease was up and they had to be sent back in good shape. Did I like it? No - it sucked. But I did it anyway. I'd have to bring in a comfort pet if I assigned one of the snowflakes something like this.

So you had a hard time so everyone else has to go the same route and have just a hard a time?

I want the best hardware to do my job because I can be the most productive with it.
I want raises/promotions to recognize that I am performing at a higher level than my peers...which I am.

Whats your point?

MOST IT folks would agree having VPN, work remote and not 10 year old tech is helpful. It is expensive (my time, customers money) going from SQL 2016 server to SQL 2008....

and at hospitals where they want to use a 10 year old desktop with malware... its a no brainer that better tech without windows xp is probably a good idea.

27" monitors for programmers is more efficient than 19" CRTs.

So you had a hard time so everyone else has to go the same route and have just a hard a time?

I want the best hardware to do my job because I can be the most productive with it.
I want raises/promotions to recognize that I am performing at a higher level than my peers...which I am.

Whats your point?

If you work with mostly millennials(or mostly your age group) and you are all getting better at your jobs (not taking on new responsibilities/risk) then you are not performing better than your peers, you are treading water.

And yes the person who needs a xeon notebook, should have one, but really is that 4 year old ssd business class notebook really that much slower than the 2018 model?

Here is your chromebook, call me back if you need to do more than just type/review. Id rather you kill this $300 pos vs a $3000 ultrabook that weighs the same and has the same size screen.

If you work with mostly millennials(or mostly your age group) and you are all getting better at your jobs (not taking on new responsibilities/risk) then you are not performing better than your peers, you are treading water.

And yes the person who needs a xeon notebook, should have one, but really is that 4 year old ssd business class notebook really that much slower than the 2018 model?

Here is your chromebook, call me back if you need to do more than just type/review. Id rather you kill this $300 pos vs a $3000 ultrabook that weighs the same and has the same size screen.

You made an assumption about my peers without any real evidence. I clearly stated that I am performing higher than my peers.

How about instead of issuing POS hardware you actually issue what a person needs to do their job up front rather than wasting money and time by making people ask for more. Take the job role and assign the hardware based on the role.

You made an assumption about my peers without any real evidence. I clearly stated that I am performing higher than my peers.

How about instead of issuing POS hardware you actually issue what a person needs to do their job up front rather than wasting money and time by making people ask for more. Take the job role and assign the hardware based on the role.

Yes it sucks to job hop every 18 months to be able to double your salary every 7 years. Here is your 5%, lol.

Most outperformers do not get raises, they get bonuses. personally i will take a smaller raise vs higher bonus any day, because at least the raise would compound each year.

Bitter much? The same would apply to the older generation as well.

Bitter much? The same would apply to the older generation as well.

The IQ test does have a coefficient for age.

However the bigger issue is...

10% of the first world have an IQ less than 83...
thats 33 million usa
16% have less than an IQ of 85
If you have an IQ of 90 or less, you can not follow written instructions to accomplish a task the first time. They have to be verbal or pictures.
25% of the first world have an IQ of 90 or less.
that is 82.5 million americans people who can not follow written instructions.
15% of first world have a IQ of above 115.
so 90 or below is derp derp, 110 and above is some college.
85 and below its almost impossible to produce weath, and 115 and above is required for above masters education
16% is below 85 and 16% is above 115
25% is 90 or less, and 25% is 110 or more
So 75% of first world can not get a 4 year degree that is worth a dam

So if 130 is the bar for "smart", then less than 1% of the earth is just "smart".

The IQ test does have a coefficient for age.

However the bigger issue is...

10% of the first world have an IQ less than 83...
thats 33 million usa
16% have less than an IQ of 85
If you have an IQ of 90 or less, you can not follow written instructions to accomplish a task the first time. They have to be verbal or pictures.
25% of the first world have an IQ of 90 or less.
that is 82.5 million americans people who can not follow written instructions.
15% of first world have a IQ of above 115.
so 90 or below is derp derp, 110 and above is some college.
85 and below its almost impossible to produce weath, and 115 and above is required for above masters education
16% is below 85 and 16% is above 115
25% is 90 or less, and 25% is 110 or more
So 75% of first world can not get a 4 year degree that is worth a dam

So if 130 is the bar for "smart", then less than 1% of the earth is just "smart".
I honestly believe that if you can only see people for their IQ then you really are not as intelligent as you may believe.

I honestly believe that if you can only see people for their IQ then you really are not as intelligent as you may believe.

I usually laugh at people who put IQ as an important number. I know some really smart people who would likely test very low in IQ simply because they are not inclined in that area. They are however friggen geniuses when it comes to understanding how engines work and fixing them.

IQ is a poor attempt at best to standardized something that really shouldn't be standardized.

I usually laugh at people who put IQ as an important number. I know some really smart people who would likely test very low in IQ simply because they are not inclined in that area. They are however friggen geniuses when it comes to understanding how engines work and fixing them.

IQ is a poor attempt at best to standardized something that really shouldn't be standardized.
I dont think humans are intelligent enough to fully judge another humans intelligence yet, in terms of a true impartial number amount. We can make judgments but thats as far as I like to go on that.

I tend to work in law firms, videoconferencing is a big deal for us. Depositions, discussions between attorneys\partners per offices and the like are important. Everything in that article sounds about right to me, ymmv of course. And I hold no grudges towards "millenials" whatever that even means. People are people, we're all different.

Whats your point?
My point is if you need to work for raises and promotions. They should be earned, not handed out like candy.

Since we're "going down that path" ...

rehrPAE47xiEvBenUrCam2PMp4v21s3rBwaKTHGoACU.jpg

Back