Networking my house this weekend...

• Thread starter Deleted member 12930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12930

So this weekend I hope to start the process of running network cable through out my home. I planned to have all the cables run into my garage, and put my networking equipment in there.

I was wondering if you guys had a better suggestion for this? To me the garage seems like a logical place, but at the same time a bad idea. I have two other potential locations; the closet of my 'office', or the walk-in closet in the master bedroom.

The closet in my office is probably a bad idea, because when my fiancee and I have children, that room would most definitely become our childs' bedroom. Or my fiance's office (the other bedroom) would get moved to my office.

The walk-in closet seems logical on a security front, especially later when I might want to ground my child and remove internet / telephone access. But I think my fiancee might not appreciate the extra equipment taking up our pretty cramped walk-in closet.

What is your guys take on this? Any other places you'd suggest? I thought of the laundry closet as well, but until we get a washer and dryer, I'm not sure how much extra space I'd have for that.

I've also thought of redistributing the coax inputs and phone lines to my new wiring center as well. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

If you have a basement I would suggest that. If you're worried about security you can always get a lockable wall-mount telco rack.

I second the basement if you have one. Do not put it in the attic as the attic can reach beyond 100 degrees on a hot day (depends obviously where you live). You can also get really cold temps up there during the winter time.

My recomendation (if you do not have a basement) would be to put it in the garage. Wallmount it in a enclosure and high enough so that your equipment does not get in the way or get dirty.

How much network equipment are you planning on mounting?

I only have an attic, and while it would make things easier initially, access to it is difficult (have to get an 8ft ladder through the house to get in). So that location would be out. Plus as already mentioned - it would get way to hot. I live in central California. It gets pretty hot here. Plus some of the HVAC equipment is up there.

The garage seems like my best bet. Now I'll just have to decide on the best spot in the garage.

For now it will just be a patch panel, a DSL modem / router that came with my DSL service, and that's it. Eventually I'll get a better switch and router setup. As well as hopefully a file server.

If you're forced to use the garage make sure it's a lockable rack you're using. Just my $0.02. :)

Back