Networking Lan Question?

Ma77

n00b
Hello all,

I plan on having 4-8 people over for a LAN.
We will play against each other, and also get online to play against others.

What will be the best way to network all of this?
I have two 4 port linksys routers, but I'm sure from reading other posts, a switch or hub would be the best option.

I know if only 4 people show up, I'm going with one of the routers I have.

So which is better for 6+?
HUB or Switch?
We should all be on XP during this LAN if that helps.

Thanks in advance! ;)

switch absolutley. It will be much faster. A router with a built in switch would be easiest if you have access to one.

For the most part 1 router and 1 switch that has the number of ports needed, in your case 8. you can use the 2 routers but you will need to turn off the DHCP and NAT on the second router and just use it as a 4 port switch.

Can you recommend some?
So I can get an idea of what to look for.

Are switches complicated? Do you have to setup alot?
Also if a game requires the PC to have their on IP will the switch work?

Thanks,

Also while we kind of on the subject of the router...

Are there some settings that I can play with associated with the router and my desktop?
Just curious, I was reading a website and it was showing how to setup, change settings with routers.

I'm looking at switches now on a local computer stores website.
They don't look to be that expensive...

ma77.
do you mean like a router control panel? You can adjust settings in there. Passwords, VPN (if supported) etc. It usually is an IP address, like 192.168.1.1 . Something like that,

yeah, maybe I'm talking about the router control panel?.

I'm not sure of the current IP address, I'm at work right now.
I'll check when I get home.
I notice someone said something about the DHCP setting.
Is that something I can check in the control panel?

Originally posted by Roast
ma77.
do you mean like a router control panel? You can adjust settings in there. Passwords, VPN (if supported) etc. It usually is an IP address, like 192.168.1.1 . Something like that,

Hey,
I went to my Network Neighborhood properties and then TCP/IP properties and "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" is checked.
Below that is a box to check that says "Specify an IP Address".
With a place that will show ip address and subnet mask address.
Shouldn't that one be checked?

Does this mean that the DHCP setting isn't on?
How can I access my Router settings?

Edite
Note: Also under my WINS Config. tab "Use DHCP for WINS Resolution" box is checked.

Originally posted by Ma77
Hey,
I went to my Network Neighborhood properties and then TCP/IP properties and "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" is checked.
Below that is a box to check that says "Specify an IP Address".
With a place that will show ip address and subnet mask address.
Shouldn't that one be checked?

Does this mean that the DHCP setting isn't on?
How can I access my Router settings?

Edite
Note: Also under my WINS Config. tab "Use DHCP for WINS Resolution" box is checked.

You’re looking in the wrong spot. For most of them that I have used you have to type in the routers IP address in Internet explorer while attached to the router. Then you can make changes in the web interface. Check the manufacturers web site for instructions on how to access the controls for your router.

Or in Windows XP open up your "cmd" or command prompt and type "ipconfig" and the "Default Gateway" IP will be your router.

You should be able to access the router by doing a http://%insertDefaultGatewayIPhere%. For instance, my Linksys has an IP of 192.168.1.1 so I can get into the web based administration by doing http://192.168.1.1.

Default username and password should appear in the documentation that came with the harware.

Hey,

The desktop that is on the router now is on windows98.
I know how to to thw "winipconfig" and I also checked this website that will report/tell you your ip.
It started with 68.97.XX

I bought the router from a friend.
Anyone know of an easy way to retreive the router's username and password?

Does this look like a good one?

Scroll to the bottom where it says description, it has some 5 star ratings from customers.

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=9226

hehe, well there is only one review. so, but looks to be your basic SOHO switch. but it does have some nice stuff like auto MDX full and half duplx modes, and LEDs per port...

LOL

I didn't look at how many people posted a review on it, I just saw the 5 stars. heh
Guess I better check that next time!

I bought the router from a friend.
Anyone know of an easy way to retreive the router's username and password?

Easiest way is to go to the manufactures website.

They will usually have the documentation there. It will tell you the default username and password. Also tell you how to access the set up screen. If the person who had it before you changed them, there is usually a reset button on the router that will reset the router to the default settings.

You can also try here:

http://phenoelit.darklab.org/cgi-bin/display.pl?SUBF=list&SORT=1

Yeah, I did hit the reset button before I used it when I bought it.
I did go to the Linksys page a while back but kind of got lost.
I don't remeber if I made it to the setup part.

But what everyone is telling is to make sure I have the DHCP setting turned on right?

Any other reccomendations on settings?

Back