Networking Issue

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently installed Windows XP Home on my old Gateway MT3707.

After hours of searching I finally found the necessary drivers for the laptop.

After installing the driver for my network adapter (Realtek RTL8185 54M) I was able to pull up the list on the available wireless internets.

Under my network is states:
"Idaho is a security-enabled wireless network (WPA2)

When double clicking on our wireless network it states:

"The network 'Idaho' requires a network key (also called a WEP key or a WPA key). A network key helps prevent unknown intruders from connecting to this network."

Maybe I dont know what at network key is, but when this pops up, I type in the password for our network, after doing so it says:

"Please wait while Windows connects to the 'Idaho' network."
-After about 1min it disappears and I am not connected to the internet

Our wireless router is a Netgear Wireless G router WGR614V10

*I tried installing SP2, but it said it already had a newer version.

ANY information/help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

is "Idaho" the name of YOUR wireless network? or is it just some random wireless network that showed up on your list?

If it is your wireless network, then there are few things that could be the problem
1) Your network card does not support WPA2 encryption, more than likely this is the problem seeing it's an old laptop.
2) you are entering the wrong key

If 1) then you need either a new network card that supports WPA2, or you need to configure your router to use WEP encryption, or no encryption under the router's Wireless Security settings section. Note: using WEP or No encryption is NOT recommended, as both of these options are very insecure! See your router manual for more details.

if 2) then the network key is something you would have setup on your router under the router's Wireless Security settings section. As above, see router manual for more details about how to do this.

Back