networking gear for apartment?

o0akoni0o

[H]ard|Gawd
so in my room in my apartment i have a single ethernet port to connect to. basically i just want my pc, xbox360, and a laptop (not wifi) to all share the port. is it best to go with a router, switch, hub? i'm no looking to spend a whole lot and i don't mind using a software firewall.

tacticus said:
a cheap 8 port switch would do the job

When you mention a single ethernet port, it's important to know where that goes -- if it goes to a modem, router, another switch, whatever. :)

Just buy something simple if all you need is for that stuff, just buy something like a Linksys 4 Port Router, you can get it at Walmart for like $40, thats all you need.

Blitzrommel said:
When you mention a single ethernet port, it's important to know where that goes -- if it goes to a modem, router, another switch, whatever. :)
i'm in a campus apartment in college, so basically it means an ethernet port in the wall that my desktop is directly plugged into. as of now, no router, no switch, just a single ethernet cable. any switch recommendations under $30?

o0akoni0o said:
i'm in a campus apartment in college, so basically it means an ethernet port in the wall that my desktop is directly plugged into. as of now, no router, no switch, just a single ethernet cable. any switch recommendations under $30?
Ah yeah, don't get a router -- get a switch. Check out NewEgg; I've seen Gigafast 5-port switches for dirt cheap.

It really depends. Is this litterally on campus? If so, that port is probably connecting to the schools network. If this is the case, then get a switch. I know that at my college they require you to fill out a form that allows you to hook up more than 1 internet device

If its not on campus, i would suggest talking to your land lord.

Back