Networking DSL

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I've been hard at work trying to get the SBC DSL shared to my 'rent's computer, but I'm having trouble. Here's my layout: I've got the DSL connected to my onboard NIC and supplying my comp with the direct connection. I've got another cable plugged into a NIC card in my PCI slot and going to the hub. A patch cable goes from a port in the hub to the NIC in my parent's machine. Now, before, I was sharing the dial-up via almost the same method, only just my onboard to the hub. However, I'm not able to get the DSL shared by the same means!

Does this mean I'm gonna have to get a router? I've had my eye on this one in case I have to.

:confused:

First of all, I would get a seperate router....but then again, I also like to do things the challenging way.

In troubleshooting this, my first place to start would be the IP addresses on each NIC. Your parents should be 192.168.x.x, as should the one in your computer hooked up to the hub. The other should have an external IP, but if your internet is working it's safe to assume your external one is fine.

If the IP addresses look okay, I would check to make sure you can browse shares. To share a folder, just right click and go to sharing. Make sure your internal network is working before you worry about the external.

Another common WindowsXP oversite is firewall issues. Disable all firewalls until you get it working, then renable them if you desire.

so_cal_forever said:
Alright, I've been hard at work trying to get the SBC DSL shared to my 'rent's computer, but I'm having trouble. Here's my layout: I've got the DSL connected to my onboard NIC and supplying my comp with the direct connection. I've got another cable plugged into a NIC card in my PCI slot and going to the hub. A patch cable goes from a port in the hub to the NIC in my parent's machine. Now, before, I was sharing the dial-up via almost the same method, only just my onboard to the hub. However, I'm not able to get the DSL shared by the same means!

Does this mean I'm gonna have to get a router? I've had my eye on this one in case I have to.

:confused:

Blah, your making it much harder then it needs to be. Heres the correct way to do it.
Go buy a decent Linksys or NetGear switch from BestBuy, CompUSA or whatever, hubs are gay and ICS is a thing of the past, especially for DSL connections. Assuming the SBC modem is doing NAT, you can do this

SBC DSL MODEM =======> Switch=======> Ethernet cords to computers. Assign private static or DHCP addresses from the modem to the computers.

If the modem ISN"T doing NAT *which is really gay* then I would get a router such as the Linksys WRT54g to hand out private IP's to the computers so they are hidden from the interent, inceasing security and decreasing virus and spyware attacks. It would then look like this. With the router, you can eliminate buying the switch as most of them come with 4 ethernet switch jacks.

SBC DSL MODEM=====>Linksys Router====> Computers

Not only is this easier, but you will have less networking troubleshooting problems and you'll have more available bandwith to the machines then using a hub

Yes, it will do everything you need....which is basically NAT and a switch.

Yes, though im a fan of Linksys, other people like NetGears as well. Keep in mind you may wanna splurge and get a wireless one so if and when you want it, you've already got it. Otherwise then you have to replace the router or go purchase a seperate WAP.

Im not familiar with SBC"s DSL connection settings so it may be trial and error to hook up the SBC modem to the router. If SBC doesn't do PPPoE authentication, the you will have to assign a static IP to the WAN interface of the Netgear, DMZ the SBC modem to that interface which will open up all ports to the Netgear and the Neatgear takes it from there. This is doing double NAT, but its not that big of a deal, just somewhat messy.

My personal favorite is the WRT54g. Alot of people have them and swear by them. You can load third party firmware on them and turn them into really kick ass routers if you want to.

Linksys WRT54g

Back