Networking a printer

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
First things first. Here's my knowledge of networking.
- I can plug a network cable into a router
- I know (roughly) what DD-WRT is, and I've used it exactly once
- In college (5+ years ago) I took a general computer course that included some networking. I've forgotten literally everything except: I used some sort of cisco network simulator thing and did CLI stuff with imaginary routers.

OK. So here's what I have and what I want to do with it.

I've a wireless "N" network -- a MiFi 4620L is the access point (thanks, Verizon :rolleyes: ) with no provision for wired networking whatsoever. There are generally three computers on the network. (Sometimes four, when I'm playing with Linux and need a connection on that box.)

I also have a slightly old HP OfficeJet 7410, which is the main printer for the house. There's like half a dozen printers in this house -- all but two of which have no ink and/or other problems -- but this one is the primary one. I have no idea why.

It has built-in networking -- but only "B", "G", and wired -- and I want it to be on "N". Can I, using DD-WRT or otherwise, use an ethernet cable and a router, and hook that printer up to my wireless "N" network? I don't necessarily want an off-the-shelf print server, but I want something that basically does that for the minimum cost possible.

Worth noting -- I've got three wireless routers, all Belkin. The newer two (both the same model) may be "N" compatible but are DD-WRT incompatible as of about a year ago IIRC -- that's the last time I checked, I'm afraid. The other is "B"/"G" only and works fine with DD-WRT. I'll go look up the models of the two different types if it's needed.

Yes, you can. The short version is that you'll make a DDWRT device a client on the Verizon MiFi network. DDWRT should automatically bridge the Connected WiFi network with the LAN ports on the device,so you should be able to connect the Printer directly to that.

Based on that Idea, you might ALSO use that to create your own Local Network and use the DDWRT device to bridge to the MiFi provided internet. That'll allow you to use your own networking hardware as well.

Alright. Let me go grab two of the three routers so I can give you model #s. I suppose I could spend $20 or so on a new or used router if I had to... budget's real tight tho.

Router #1 -- Belkin F5D7230-4 v.1444 -- known working with DD-WRT
Routers #2 and #3 -- Belkin F5D9230-4 v.2000 -- probably no DD-WRT

All three are "G" :( and the 2nd two, last time I checked the DD-WRT site (like a year or more ago) -- they said "we are never ever ever supporting this router model raaaaaaaaaaargh" (that's not very nice).

So: where can I pick up a cheap but decent "N" router? :D don't care new or used, but it's gotta be cheap and it's gotta turn on when I press the power button. (That's really all I care about.)

B/G/N are all compatible, assuming the N network is 2.4GHz. Just use it like that. Mixed mode isn't that bad.

The "N" network is a lot faster than the "G" network, and I put money into making it an "N" network that I can't really afford to throw away.

Not going back to "G".

Ok... here's the thing. Three computers, plus the printer. I'd like to have at least two of the computers on wires if I can do that, per Nate's suggestion that I really like all of a sudden.

Hmmm... how about this --

MiFi to the TPLINK router you suggest. USB port on the TPLINK router to the printer. Single LAN port on the TPLINK router to one of the Belkin routers (probably one of the two NEWER Belkin routers that DD-WRT can't use). TPLINK "N" WiFi through the house (I hope it's got a nice range). Belkin router to the two wired computers (Belkin will have its "G" only WiFi turned off).

Make sense?

OK -- just so little ol' boneheaded me has this straight -- I can see that the TP LINK router you've specified can do USB.

Can I use that USB port with the printer, or is it only for config and power?

OK -- just so little ol' boneheaded me has this straight -- I can see that the TP LINK router you've specified can do USB.

Can I use that USB port with the printer, or is it only for config and power?

No.

You will plug the printer into the TP LINK via Ethernet, then the TP Link will connect to your Wireless N network.

It'll be for power only. That box will adapt the the Wifi signal to be able to used with a standard Wireless router of your choice.

Screenshot_1.png

Instead of wasting money on getting it up to 11n for some unknown reason I'd recommend you to save the money and time you're going to spend on this and get a decent printer that doesn't have ridiculous running costs or use the oney on something fun. :)
Your Belkin routers may support client mode already, have you looked and confirmed?
//Danne

Thanks for the advice -- but you're a little late and a little off. Getting up to N was done for $20-30 -- about a month ago.

Printers cost a lot more than that, especially when they are also copiers, fax machines, scanners, and pizza ovens ;) OK, maybe not so much the last one... but the point is there. Ain't got much dough here.

Back