Networking a laser printer

atkruz789

n00b
I have a question regarding a laser printer we have at work. We just recently remodeled and there used to be networked laser printers in each quad. The printers got moved but they didn't connect them to the print server and refuse to. :mad: Is there any way to connect the printer to the computers adjacent to it while still connecting to the network. All of our computers have wireless but connect to through ethernet while at our desks. How can I hook up the printer while still connecting to the network through ethernet and without running a bunch of cables?

Thanks

Do the printers have ethernet built into them? If so, you shoud be able to just plug it into hte network, give 'em an IP address (subnet, gateway, etc) and print to it via IP. But, it doesn't sound like you administer the network, so you might not want to do that. So....you could just hook it up locally to the closest computer then share the printer off of that computer.

I'm not sure if I understand the question right, but they don't want to plug them in??? what does that mean? lol

I guess you could put a hub in the adjacent cube and run a short wire from the hub to the printer, then connect the adjacent PC to the hub as well

I'm guessing you want to avoid running new lines from your patch panels over to where the printers are, but that really is the only non-ghetto way of doing it. You really don't want to have bunch of hubs sitting around, it might be more trouble down the road than it's worth.

I can plug the printer into the network but it obviously can't detect it on my computer. Yes they do have ethernet built in.

They do not want them on the network for everyone to access...

I was wondering if I could network over the wireless connection and just connect anyone in range.

I am thinking it is more trouble than it is worth. I will just have to walk my lazy but over to the community printer...

I hooked up an HP wireless for a client, and it was available to any computer that installed it through add printer/network printer. Once it was installed I had to enable it as "shared" at each of the computers it was installed on(simple file sharing all around). So by default it may not be available to everyone just by being available on the network. Of course if a user knows it is there they may be able to simply install it and use it. I did not mess around with permissions since my objective was to make it available. Perhaps if you installed it on the network wirelessly and then added it to your own station and then removed the guest account and everyone and any general groups from the security tab and then added only specific user accounts, you may limit it this way. I am not sure however if any computer with an admin account could add it and then change the permissions. So this may not be effective, but it just might work. Like I said I was trying to make it more available, not less.

atkruz789 said:
I can plug the printer into the network but it obviously can't detect it on my computer. Yes they do have ethernet built in.

They do not want them on the network for everyone to access...

I was wondering if I could network over the wireless connection and just connect anyone in range.

I am thinking it is more trouble than it is worth. I will just have to walk my lazy but over to the community printer...

This really doesn't make much sense... if your boss doesn't want you having your own printer then don't use it... that's the end of that story.

QJ

Back