Networked Smart Barcode Scanner?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by FlatBlackCoffee, Jul 12, 2010.

1. FlatBlackCoffee

FlatBlackCoffee Limp Gawd

We have a problem with filling orders with the wrong bar coded boxes sometimes.

The plan would be for the boxes to pass under a scanner that is connected to a database.

Each case has an item bar code number, and a UPS shipping bar code.

The scanner would have to be smart enough to read the UPS label, check the db to see what item numbers should be scanned, scan the item bar code on the same case, and then sound the alert it is the wrong item.

I need a reputable company for the scanner and software. Anyone have something running like this? I don't know where to begin to look.

2. MikeTrike

MikeTrike [H]ardness Supreme

3. FlatBlackCoffee

Thanks for taking the time, Mike.

Wasp is one of the random companies I've emailed with a general outline of the project. I did a google search before posting here and blasted some emails to their sales folks.

For such a mission-critical and expensive project like this, I would feel much better working with a company that comes at the advice of a community I respect.

Maybe Wasp will be able to help me out.

I'm all ears if someone has any other suggestions.

4. RiDDLeRThC

RiDDLeRThC 2[H]4U

I also haven't done too much with barcode scanning but seems like a pretty simple project if you can find the correct hardware.

A cheaper alternative would be to have a little QA talk between whoever is filling the orders and their management. :)

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

For point of sale stuff, I like Metrologics products. Back in the day I was setting up point of sale networks for a company, we used and preferred their keyboard wedge scanners the most, I didn't work with or even see IP based hand scanners..but I'm sure they're out there....can't be much different from flatbed or portable paper scanners.

edited post..here's a site for some resources...including Metrologic and others, and they may be a good resource for your specific need.
    http://www.barcodesinc.com/metrologic/

6. MikeTrike

MikeTrike [H]ardness Supreme

Community input is indeed (almost) always invaluable. :)

Every time I've looked into barcode solutions, wasp always came up, so they must be doing at least somethings right. Now for your specific situation, that's another story all together.

I've bounced a few sales inquiries their way in the past and they were generally professional. Now that does not guarantee the rest is, but it's always a start.

I know Dell has POS barcode stuff, but I don't think that's exactly what you are looking for. Wasp has actually gotten pretty robust over the past few years, as far as what they offer.

You'd need Inventory, rather than asset tracking correct?
    http://www.waspbarcode.com/inventory_control/

7. FlatBlackCoffee

Thanks again for the input.

RiDDLeRThC, you think like we do. There have been talks about QA. Our company is big on systems - the more elegant, the better. Ideally, we would like to ensure that our customers get what they ordered, 100% of the time, barring the occasional act of God (or satan / general weirdness).

I've worked with metrologic before and I am going to give our guy there a call in a moment. The first company to email me back is Cornerstone Automations Systems, Inc [CASI]. This is one of the targets in my mass email blast.

We are a small business and this strikes me as an enterprise solution. Keep the suggestions coming, lads. Appreciated.

8. Liquidkristal

Liquidkristal [H]ardness Supreme

have you looked at symbol / motorola?

wasp are good, but if its mission critical it might be worth spending the extra brass on a nice symbol setup

9. peanutskeeter

peanutskeeter Limp Gawd

Absolutely, i work for a presorting company for post office. What we do is the following: A mail tray passes on a conveyor and gets read by a barcode scanner. After reading this barcode it passes the information along to a computer which identifies a new barcode for the entire tray(D&R tag). Then It puts this barcode on a tag and identifies the weight that each plane will be able to carry.

It actually sounds like all you need is a verifier scanner to ensure proper barcodes are being printed.