Networked drive (partion really) access denied

Soarin

2[H]4U
Hey folks, Dave here kalkaskageek technician inshop. I quiet often visit the local FragFest, and i would like to setup a shared folder on my Western Digital 500gb HDD. I have this drive partitioned into D:programs E:ubuntu install F:Storage Z:DRASLAX. I would like to have the Z: shared accros the networks. I have share this folder checked under advance sharing and everyone is set to access the folder. Password protected sharing off. File and Folder sharing is on. Now on the windows xp sp3 pc CAN see the folder but is getting access denied.

What am I doing wrong?

kalkaskageek:You know i am only seeing
authentcated users
SYSTEM
Administrators
USers
on the right click z: properties and security...

This thread is comming from experts-exchange also.. My boss is a member

Hey guys i got it lol, wow i needed to add Everyone to the users and groups. Man i wish i would have paid attention in networking lol

Okay so i got this figured out but next question is;is there software that can track what is downloaded from my shared drive?

Are there any real user accounts that people are connecting through, such as from a domain or a strict one-to-one local machine user account creation? Assuming that the answer is no, then you've opened the flood gates with "Everyone" permissions -- then how would you expect to track user- or machine-based information anyways?

If this is a one-off situation or shared access as anonymous or a single user account, then one approach would be to setup a local FTP server with unique accounts; then you could use the FTP logs to later audit what was pulled.

Sounds like the OP wants to share part of his hard drive at a LAN party, and wants to verify what people are downloading. The 'Everyone' permissions is so that other people can access/read files off the disk without having to login (or set up anything)

Sounds like the OP wants to share part of his hard drive at a LAN party, and wants to verify what people are downloading. The 'Everyone' permissions is so that other people can access/read files off the disk without having to login (or set up anything)
That's much of my point: Allowing "Everyone" permissions is the easy way to open up a local resource for a LAN party, but that alone offers no audit trail. And the lack of any further specifics only adds more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymon View Post
That's much of my point: Allowing "Everyone" permissions is the easy way to open up a local resource for a LAN party, but that alone offers no audit trail. And the lack of any further specifics only adds more questions.

You are correct. When i go to a lan i would like people to be able to access files on my shared drive. Share and share alike. As long as it is legal.
The only reason i mentioned about software is to see what is hot and what is not.

You are correct. When i go to a lan i would like people to be able to access files on my shared drive. Share and share alike. As long as it is legal.
The only reason i mentioned about software is to see what is hot and what is not.

why not use HFS to set up a tiny web server? then you don't have to worry about windows network sharing levels...

plus you have logs you can look through to see what people are downloading....

when i say it's easy to set up, it's probably easier to set up than windows shares:
http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

why not use HFS to set up a tiny web server? then you don't have to worry about windows network sharing levels...

when i say it's easy to set up, it's probably easier to set up than windows shares:

I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymon View Post

The only reason i mentioned about software is to see what is hot and what is not;when it comes to my data.
If i need to make an FTP i guess i can. I have used, filezilla, I think thats the name, but was unable to configure it properly.

Sorry for late response had to refund customer.

So looking at it this software is web based? Like i need an internet connection to do this? The only reason i am asking is because i also share my files with my family, on the same lan. To me it wouldn't make sense to make them download it through the web.

But again what i just posted is if it requires an internet connection.
If i am at a lan party like fragfest where we have 100+ people i could care less about internet connection based.

nope, no internet connection required, but other people on your lan would use thier browsers to connect to your computer

Back