Networked comps. cannot find printer on another comp.

BMWlover

Limp Gawd
I have three networked computers on one network. All have printer and file sharing enabled, all are on the same network, but two comps. cannot add a printer from the other one. I have made sure I have I it sharing enabled, but it does not show up on the add printer wizard. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot.

The printer is a HP 6110xi all-in-one, it that makes a diffrence.

You need to have an account on the machine your on, that has access to the other PC's.

meaning you have to have the same username and password on each computer, unless you have the guest account enabled, which is bad mojo

Your doing the add network printer options and choosing the middle option "Connect to this printer" and then typing in \\otherpcname\printersharename

dbwillis said:
Your doing the add network printer options and choosing the middle option "Connect to this printer" and then typing in \\otherpcname\printersharename

correct. I will give what you said a shot then report back, thanks.

EDIT: I tried to do what you said, but it did not work. Could you or someone elaborate on that for me thanks.

From the computer you want to connect the printer ON (not the PC the printer is connected to), go to Start>Run and type in \\OtherPCName\ and then push enter.

If your current logon account has access to the PC the printer is on, then you should get an Explorer type window showing the shared printer name.

OtherPCName = name of PC that has the printer connected to it

What happened when you tried the \\otherpcname\printersharename

(plus, whats the shared name you gave for the printer?)

Thanks for the help, dbwillis. I have figured out what the problem was and it is working now. I had Windows firewall configured to not allow any exceptions, including file and printer sharing. :eek:

Back