Network: XP and Linux

zachary80

2[H]4U
I have a network set up, and it has worked for two XP computers.

I cannot figure out how to access my shared folders. I open Nautilus, type in smb://, browse to my computer, double click it, and then it asks for a username/password. It won't let me in without them, and I don't even know of any passwords that I may have put in place (like I said, two XP systems work). Not entering any password gives me a popup thats says " You don't have the permissions necessary to view the contents of 'smb://nishakar'."

My systems have XP Home and Mandrake 9.2

Any ideas?

You have to enter your login/pass for your windows account (Assuming this is going from Linux to Windows, not sure what Nautilus is)

Originally posted by Foolio882
You have to enter your login/pass for your windows account (Assuming this is going from Linux to Windows, not sure what Nautilus is)

Nautilus (for linux) is like Explorer

And yes, this is accessing the windows machine from linux.

I have a dual-boot setup and am currently transfering files through XP. I'll let you know.

Ok, that worked. I can browse all my files except my music folder.

However, if I try to copy a file or folder to my fat32 partition on the linux machine it repeatedly asks for a username/password and as a result doesn't copy anything. Would this be because the machine that the files are stored on is NTFS? And why can't I access my music folder?

Has nothing to do with NTFS. You gotta make sure you added your samba user in the /etc/smbpasswd file or something like that -- or make sure that your user on Linux has the same username/password as the username/password on the Windows machine. Check out forums.gentoo.org or more information.

What distro are you using?

Back