Network Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexillus

[H]ard|Gawd
First, I want to say thank you for any help on this as I am at my wits end at this point.

Quick prologue, I have had a few intermittent DNS issues the last several days with webpages not loading properly across my whole network, once I discovered it was across the whole network switched my DNS servers to from my ISP to openDNS and solved the problem. Except one computer kept dropping from the internet. It was late and I left it.

Now to present time, yesterday I decided to re-cycle the router and bam all my problems came to light. Now I am currently getting either one of two errors. DNS cannot be resolved or IP conflict detected. Which either of these I am at a loss. This setup has been running solid for 2 months and before that on my old FIOS router for 2 years!

Physical setup:
FIOS MI424WR-Revision-I (bridged via this guide) http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27666920-How-to-Make-Actiontec-MI424WR-Revision-I-Rev.I-a-Network
RTN-66U Router-> DHCP to all client computers.

Original Logical setup:
FIOS MI424WR- 192.168.2.1
RTN-66U 192.168.1.1
DHCP Client list: 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.249
Both on subnet 255.255.255.0

Once I received the IP conflict I tried making some changes and this is current setup.
FIOS MI424WR- 192.168.2.1
RTN-66U 192.168.3.100
DHCP client list: 192.168.3.102-192.168.3.249
Both on subnet 255.255.255.0

I have had briefs moments of connectivity once I call verizon to release my DHCP lease but after 20-30 minutes it then goes back into this cycle of either saying DNS cannot be resolved or IP conflict detected bv the router and according to my logs on the RTN-66U it keeps saying LAN subnet is on the same as WAN subnet or DHCP from ISP did not respond. I am starting to think the router maybe going bad as if I reset the FIOS router, the internet actually works, haven't tested on how long as I have been trying to trouble shoot getting it to the router.

Things tried:
Updated firmware on RTN-66U
Reset default settings/re-configured router.
Recovery MODE flash to default firmware then udpateded to most recent.
Only plugged in a single wired computer with FIOS, and the RTN-66U.
Reset to ISP DNS or tried again OpenDNS

I am at a loss and would appreciate any help and again thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Just got an idea while at work, but possible the DHCP service on the FIOS router is messed up and somehow handing out IP addresses? Even though the setting is set to off.

Don't do double NAT, either you get your FIOS box configured correctly or use it a plain access point.
//Danne

The method on which I was trying wouldn't have had a double NAT I got some help and it is all fixed now and man was that some big changes to the network. Thanks everyone who looked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back