network transfer slower now?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by roberttran, Apr 18, 2004.

1. roberttran

roberttran [H]ard|Gawd

My server use to be a FreeBSD 5.2 box. Upload transfer speeds over the network were about 1200kBps.
    I recent formatted my server to FreeBSD 4.9 and now upload speeds are about 120kBps.
    When I was on 5.2, I used both the built in ftp daemon and NFS. Now on 4.9 I use proftpd.
    Any ideas what could cause this? What settings should I took at?
    Download speeds were not effected.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. draconius

draconius 2[H]4U

hrm
    anything changed physically? cards....cables....etc..?

can you transfer at 'normal' speeds from other machines on the network?

what program are you using to upload to the bsd box from...and what client OS?

also, you dont have proftpd doing any rate limiting do you?

3. roberttran

roberttran [H]ard|Gawd

Nothing was physically changed. The clients are the same as before, bulletproof ftp on windows. Transfers between clients are fine. It's only uploading to the server that is slow, while downloading is normal. Could it be a wrong setting for hardware? I don't have proftpd doing anything from the default.

-Robert

4. roberttran

roberttran [H]ard|Gawd

It seems my clients are connecting to the ftp with a high port number. Isn't that called ftp passive mode or something? Could that be causing the slow upload?

edit: just tried telling the clients to connect without passive mode and connected a client to the same switch as the server and still the same thing.

-Robert

5. roberttran

roberttran [H]ard|Gawd

I tired both ftpd and proftpd and same problem. It seems to throttle down to 80kbps after 2 seconds of uploading. I can't figure it out and its driving me crazy since I have 40 gigs of stuff I have to upload to my box and the temp storage drive is getting full. I don't have anything running that could be limiting my band.

-Robert

6. roberttran

roberttran [H]ard|Gawd

I just tried NFS uploads and its the same symptoms :(

-Robert