network traffic monitoring

andypnb

Gawd
is there a simple software out there that will allow me to monitor the amount of bandwidth used in a period of time, let's say a day, and turn off network access when a certain limit is reached?

i am trying to restrict the amount of bandwidth for each user of the computer over alloted periods of time.

long story....

we'd need to know your setup a bit better first.

What you want can be done but it depends on what you have and how its setup.

In short no. You cannot restrict bandwidth for the LAN with your setup. Not without throttling each PC separetly anyways.

You could throw a beater nix box between your machines and the net and setup QoS. Other than that im not sure of any software progs to limit bandwidth in the way you want.

Im sure there are though so hopefully someone will help ya out on that one.

I agree on the unix box. Thats exactly what i have, an openBSD box that acts as a router for my local lan. Dosen't have to be real fast or anything. I built my openBSD router for like $250 brand new, and its plenty fast. The bandwidth throttling is installed by default on openBSD and its fairly easy to setup. ( just takes time to read on how to setup the bandwidth throttling )

i now that iptables in linux can be patched for both time of day and quota support. these should allow you to stop and start your connection. it will require a lot of work but it is do able.

Back