Network Telepresence Hardware

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
We've got around 10 school campuses each with it's own Cisco switch. Each switch is networked by fiber back to our headend. This gives all campuses a 100Mbit network between one another. We're interested in hardware that will allow one campus to host an HD audio and video stream over the network to be displayed at one or more of the other campuses.

Cost considered, we're interested in installing hardware at each campus that will allow any campus to be the host or client of the media stream. The networking side the hardware should be ethernet (plug directly into switch), the video side should allow for HD input/output, HDMI or component connections. HDCP requirements are not being factored at this time.

The typical use will be for presentations being held at one campus can be viewed on the closed circuit of the other campuses.

Hardware-wise what's recommended in the industry?

I would use HD ready video conferencing units.

I have 8 Polycom HDX 7000 units that I am getting ready to role out in a similar project.

The HDX 7000s will do up to 1080p video with a bandwidth up to 6mbps. The will allow two way communication between the sites and all the setup is about 4 wires (Ethernet, Power, Mic, and Camera).

Disclaimer I do not work for polycom. But I do support around 2 dozen of their units as well as their bridge and desktop video conferencing server.

Look like the unit supports DVI. Would I be able to take a HD video camera with DVI out and interface it with this unit? Same goes for mics not specifically made for the unit.

Look like the unit supports DVI. Would I be able to take a HD video camera with DVI out and interface it with this unit? Same goes for mics not specifically made for the unit.

Yep computers digital cameras. There is a dedicated DVI in. The unit will come with a nice HD Camera. I use a Shure SLX wireless microphone system with mine along side the polycom pod mic that comes with it.

I have not interfaced the HDX series in a classroom yet but I have several older VSX7000s that have been running with external cameras and mics for years.

Im still learning these units just started un-boxing them yesterday. I was really impressed with the demo units I had in a few months ago though.

Last edited:
I have used Both Polycom and Tandberg units and if I were buying I think the Tandberg units seemed to be a higher quality item.

I have used Both Polycom and Tandberg units and if I were buying I think the Tandberg units seemed to be a higher quality item.

The Tandbergs are nice units but they are also about double the price of a similar polycom unit. This is a personal preference thing. But I like the User interface better on the polycoms also.

You are not going to go wrong with either unit. I had both units side by side this spring and the polycoms will do 98% of the quality of a tandberg with the same features for less money.

If money is not an issue than by all means go with Tandberg.

Also bear in mind Tandberg is owned by Cisco now.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll see if I can get some base line pricing and compare that to the budget if we decide to move forward. I may have some more questions if the project gets green lighted.

Any recommendation on vendors?

Back