Network switch schedule (Label)

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
Being an electrician in a previous life, I kept copies of blank panel schedules (panel label chart) for me to write down what breakers control and leave it in the customer's panel.

Now, I've spent probably the last half hour scouring google, bing, & yahoo looking for a switch port listing sheet. Found a lot of "what is a wired switch" & "network mapping" applications. Which now begs the question. Does anyone have a go-to chart where you write down your network information and leave it near the switch?

I'm sure I could hack something together in Word, but just curious if anyone has one they are willing to share before reinventing the wheel.

Electrical Panel sample
panel.gif

Or, make your life easier and get a managed switch where you can put a description for each switchport in the config. And, if you ever use SNMP for network monitoring it can report the switchport name for anything critical like server, IP security cameras, etc.

Just make a table in Excel and print it out and place it near the switch. Most people will advise against doing this for security reasons.

In addition, some people will use a label writer and label connections to important appliances, home runs, and uplinks. Connections on the switch for each device become too much of a hassle to keep up with. Connections are always moving around on a switch

Or, make your life easier and get a managed switch where you can put a description for each switchport in the config. And, if you ever use SNMP for network monitoring it can report the switchport name for anything critical like server, IP security cameras, etc.

He's looking for a simple piece of paper to print and place near the switch so people can look at it and know what is connected to each port without having to log into the switch.

Thanks for the replies. :)

mi7chy, I do have descriptions set in the switch interfaces (both managed switches; procurve 2524 & 2810-24G (stack commander)), however I'm looking for a listing I can place near the switch.

Cmustang87, I may just have to go that route or even build something in Word and print it out. I understand the security in an IT closet, but this is for my home network.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is for consistency, and I have moved a couple times and after each time I've had to edit or move cables around to match my mrtg config file. However, I've acquired new network hardware which changes my network topology. I can now separate the 100m interfaces from the 1g interfaces. At least if i have a schedule if/when I move, I can reconnect the cables to the same ports. Its also helpful for troubleshooting which port goes to which device so I know what cable could use a checking.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll just spend the time to create a template and go that route.

A client I recently took over has these printouts for different network statcks just what you are talking about but I can't for the life of me figure out where they were made from. I've been looking for a template or a document I could edit but no luck so far :(

Back