Network Switch Make Over (pics)

Steak

Limp Gawd
Got this cheap 8-ports Gigabit switch for $39 from Fry's. After watching all those "Pimping my xxx" and "xxx mega make over" on TV, heck, my poor little switch needs some love too. Gave it a little 'Bling' :D , enjoy the pics.

gigalan1.jpg

gigalan2.jpg

gigalan3.jpg

That switch looks very nice, got a URL for the site where ou got it i might get one.

Outpost.com

Once a month or so, on Tue and Wed, their retail store ad (Fry's Electronic), will have it for half the price. Also they would have the Gigabit NIC for $10.

Thanks for that, i just might get one.
Why is it such that with somany views there are so little posters

nice job, looks good. wish i had one. (and here i have a crappy scratched case denty 24 port)

++mod exp points!

A friend of mine has the same switch, though he only did a ghetto fan mod to make run
cooler.

Q. How was the front panel made? (Was it already shiny?) For the chassis paint job, was it
a standard (sand, primer, sand, sand, 2 coats?)

(V)andopr77 said:
Can you imagine a rack full of those?

Considering that a modded rack of 16 ports (two of those switches) is less than half the cost
of the closest Dell 16 port GigE switch ( about $200 vs $400) its something every serious LAN group/user
should consider.

Just that you would have to setup a patch panel if you want to see the front activity lights and
the ports at the same time...and each is going to need its own power plug or a modded
parallel ac adapter cord.

Hell this is just the type of switch I would need for a future mod project.

Thx. I don't know much about networking, but this switch allows me to transfer 700 MB between 2 puters in a little over 20 sec instead of the 2 mins over 100 mb network. So I would imagine it could be great for LAN parties :p

The paint I use is the automotive paint cans from Pepboys. I sanded the OEM paint down to real smooth, then just 2 coats of red paint, finish by buffing it with robbing componds.

The front piece is made of aluminum, hand polished. I added center thingy and left over mail box chrome letter so it doesn't look too flat.

I was thinking of doing something like that with mine.
Very nice!
where did you get the front plate?

Top vent
gigalan4.jpg

The metal pieces are fabricated out of scrap aluminum
gigalan5.jpg

Let's try to save Grace's butt one more time...
gigalan6.jpg

Steak!!

Xlnt idea!!! You -> Da Man!! Such a 'simple job' and this xlnt outcome!
*peeking at my switch* -where did I put the paintcans...

PekkerCadette out :cool:

Thats awesome work on the switch... I may be trying to build a new case for my shitty cable modem that BrightHouse stuck me with.... I want to find a broken Linksys enclosure so that it will stack well on my router. :)

Definately love the detail on the aluminum too, classy.

EDIT: Is that a model car of the 'Jade Crew' 350z?

~Kris

Wow not only does it look million times better, but it functions better (vents) beautiful! <3
what exactly did you use to fabricate these aluminum parts?

The materials used: For the front plate and vent frames--- salvaged 1/8" thick aluminum plate like the piece below, just crap load of sanding and polishing to make it shinny.
gigalan8.jpg

Grill for the fake front vent hole, I used part of the black fan grill, pressed in flush; top vent grill is a $1.99 supermarket item--- I call it 'Fry Pan Oil Splash Guard', you get the picture. It's soft enough to be bent in any direction, yet strong enough to hold shape, very modder friendly. (It also could double as basement vent guard against cats, which I pulled out for this pic :D )
gigalan7.jpg

BTW, you guys are right on with those model cars.

Back