Network speed: Sprint vs Verizon, with TMo on the side

I'm currently on Sprint with a BB 8330.

I live in southwestern Michigan, don't travel a lot currently but I plan on going OTR (truck driving) sometime in the next year or two, and also traveling to Israel for several months in the next year or two.

I was planning on switching to Verizon when the N1 came, even with the international wildcard, since with TMo I could switch out SIM cards when in Israel.

So...

1) Is the ability to switch my SIM card out when in Israel a big enough deal, or would I be better off just using the wireless internet capability to get online and buying a disposable phone while over there?

2) Is the ability to switch out my SIM card in the US a big deal? I'm thinking Verizon's speed and coverage over here will cancel out any temporary benefits while in Israel?

3) Will I notice a speed difference on Verizon from my current Sprint BB 8330?

4) How about coverage while traveling? Sprint is generally pretty good, but there are a few stretches while driving between here and Texas where I don't have coverage.

Considering the fact that Sprint roams on Verizon and vice versa, the coverage issue debate is almost a marketing ploy. 99% percent of the time, when you have Verizon coverage you'd also have Sprint.

While traveling abroad I would absolutely get a "throw away phone" while there. The rates will always be cheaper doing so than adding international dialing on both Sprint and Verizon. There's a charge per month, $4 for Sprint to have the capability to use your device overseas but at the same time you are going to pay by the minute to make calls.

As far as speed is concerned, in my opinion you are going to see an overall speed decrease in switching to Verizon. I'd research it alittle more before I made a decision, but Sprint's speeds are usually higher in my experiences ... though not as slow as Tmobile / AT&T.

Any thoughts on waiting a few weeks and taking a look at the HTC Supersonic when it's available? HTC + 4G goodness is always a good thing!

Crespin, the Nexus One is also coming to Sprint, so why bother switching?

Also, don't go to AT&T for international coverage lol... but you know this.

If you go to T-Mo, and use your phone overseas, you'll be using EDGE or GPRS data speeds, pretty much worthless. You might as well get a cheap international phone when you're there.

I've always heard that Verizon had better coverage and speed than any other carrier. :) But like SomethingClever said, I just found out in the last few days that Sprint roams on Verizon, so now I'm thinking I'm gonna give the 30 day trial a run and see what I think. The cost would be about the same as I'd use Google Voice and the Friends & Family thing.

I'm keeping an eye on the Supersonic and one or two other phones that I've noticed in the Engadget feed... this is a really awesome time to be looking for a new phone!

These days, in urban areas, AT&T and (sometimes) T-Mo offer the best speeds. I've seen 4mbs downloads on occasion, the fastest I've seen from Sprint is around 2.5mbs (I get 2.3 in my house) and the fastest I've personally witnessed from Verizon was 1.9mbs.

As far as changing over, you'd rather have 900 minutes, 5000 texts, and data for $120/month vs $99 for unlimited everything? Especially when you've had good experiences with Sprint service in the past? OK, more power to you. But of course you're going to hear that Verizon has a better network, that's what they pay their marketing department for.

I just hate to see you switch form a rev 0 device to a rev A device and say "Oh WOW, Verizon IS a lot faster!". A rev 0 on Sprint is about 500k/s, and a Rev A is 2.5mb/s.

I'm currently on Sprint with a BB 8330.

I live in southwestern Michigan, don't travel a lot currently but I plan on going OTR (truck driving) sometime in the next year or two, and also traveling to Israel for several months in the next year or two.

I was planning on switching to Verizon when the N1 came, even with the international wildcard, since with TMo I could switch out SIM cards when in Israel.

So...

1) Is the ability to switch my SIM card out when in Israel a big enough deal, or would I be better off just using the wireless internet capability to get online and buying a disposable phone while over there?

2) Is the ability to switch out my SIM card in the US a big deal? I'm thinking Verizon's speed and coverage over here will cancel out any temporary benefits while in Israel?

3) Will I notice a speed difference on Verizon from my current Sprint BB 8330?

4) How about coverage while traveling? Sprint is generally pretty good, but there are a few stretches while driving between here and Texas where I don't have coverage.

1. It depends on whether you're comfortable with using your $500 phone in a foreign country where it can be stolen and you may never see it again. Also, a year or two is a long time away. Think in the immediate future.

2. Not at all, since the ability to switch SIM cards comes with the cost of maintaining accounts with T-Mo and ATT. Not to mention that you have to pick 3G with one of the two even if the phone is unlocked. Also ATT has been sweeping accounts and adding $30 data if you have an N1.

3. Network speed, possibly not. Web browsing speed, probably because web browsing speed depends on the browser and the processor in the phone.

4. Sprint is generally pretty good and it really depends on whether you want coverage for chatting or 911, because as long as there's a compatible signal the phone will call 911 whether its on Sprint or Verizon.

As far as changing over, you'd rather have 900 minutes, 5000 texts, and data for $120/month vs $99 for unlimited everything? Especially when you've had good experiences with Sprint service in the past? OK, more power to you. But of course you're going to hear that Verizon has a better network, that's what they pay their marketing department for.

I just hate to see you switch form a rev 0 device to a rev A device and say "Oh WOW, Verizon IS a lot faster!". A rev 0 on Sprint is about 500k/s, and a Rev A is 2.5mb/s.

If I get the 900 minutes talk plan that has the 5 friends & family thing, I just set my Google Voice number, which will be my primary # by then, as one of my F&F lines and voila... unlimited minutes and texts. :) $60 + $30 data + insurance = about the same as Sprint.

As far as the rev 0/rev A stuff... so even on Sprint, my web browsing/downloads on the N1 will be faster than they will be with my 8330? I was wondering that but forgot to ask...

This is all why I'm posting here... information that I didn't find anywhere else. Thanks so far, gents. :)

Crespin, don't forget texts to your cost as well. I still find it hilarious that every company charges $20 for unlimited texts EXCEPT Verizon, who only give you 5000 (but unlimited too other Verizon users). I understand 5000 is a lot, but there are many people who will go over that. Especially if you're using your google voice number to receive texts, you might get screwed.

Also, have you used Google Voice for calling yet? Horribly inconvenient to be quite honest, and you're going to lose caller ID, since you have to set G-Voice to display YOUR number as caller ID to get the free calling feature. I'd much rather pay less and get more/be more convenient, but it's up to you. Same phone, same network (basically), less money, just easier. *shrug*

And yes, the N1 on Sprint in my area will run at about 2.5mbps vs 500-600Kbps for the 8330. As long as you're in a Rev A area, you'll see a tremendous speed increase.

Re: texts, if I'm having texts sent to my Google Voice number, doesn't that skip that? That's what I've been told given how Android and Google Voice integrate from a Droid owner but I haven't seen it in person. I'll ask again, maybe I misunderstood him.

As far as coverage areas, what am I looking for on Verizon and Sprint's coverage maps? I'm thinking Sprint's Mobile Broadband Network map and Verizon's Enhanced Services map?

What's the difference between Sprint's "mobile broadband roaming" and "data roaming" as compared to their "mobile broadband network"? They have a lot of that.

Thanks for the info so far. :)

Yes, you can send and receive texts from G-Voice, but no MMS, and it will be to your google voice number. It's another inconvenience.

Why are texts sent to my Voice number an inconvenience?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. :)

Last edited:
Because you'll have to go through the Google Voice app, for one. Up until yesterday, the refresh on the app was in increments of 5 minutes, so it would have been a PITA to have a quick text conversation. Also, like I was saying, having all calls routed to/from your GVoice number just annoys me; Lack of caller ID especially.

contact sprint about are international plans also for business accounts i know can rent international phones so i imagine consumer accounts can also.

really for in the states sprint has pretty good price
69.99 for 450 data everything but instead of 5 F&F they have anymobile anytime so as long as your in coverage you get unlimited to any cell phone
the data 450 has unlimited text mms web navigation ect...

I've been using Google Voice on my Incredible for the last few weeks. Right now I have my Google Voice number and my GV access number on my F&F. I know the access number changes now and then, not sure what the criteria is as it's stayed the same in a 30 mile radius, but that's what I'm doing for now and it's worked great. :)

Voice integration on Android is transparent and nice.

Back